Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: What's next after v23.11?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep Xtreme/Nexus Ultimate v24.1 Public Beta released

So far this is basically a maintenance release. See complete list of changes below.

If you have your Winstep application set to notify you of beta versions (Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Automatic Updates section) you should get a notification within the next 24 hours. You can also click the 'Check for Updates' button in Preferences to force the notification.

###

A list of ALL the changes so far:

WorkShelf:

New Features:

* Updated Spanish language file.

* Updated Chinese (Simplified) language file.

* The Windows 11 22H2 CPU usage mitigation settings will now only appear on the CPU Meter settings panel if running under the affected systems (Windows 11 22H2 and 23H2).

* Added option to show password when typing a new password to the Email Checker module settings dialog.

* The position of the desktop modules per theme and screen resolution is now saved in the multi-monitor profile files instead of .pos files inside the themes folder. The previous method only cattered for a single monitor, with the new method modules can be positioned differently (and have different scaling) according not only to screen resolution(s) but also to the number of active monitors.

* Universal Apps can now also be set to 'Run As Administrator' in the Item Properties dialog.

* 'Allow Multiple Instances' setting in the Item Properties dialog can now also be applied to Universal Apps. Allows launching multiple instances of the same application without having to press SHIFT or double-click even if 'Do not launch multiple sessions of the same application' is active.

* Added 3 additional fish types to choose from for Wanda.

* Added another possible option to the License Key Troubleshooter, where a license key file exists in the proper folder but is for the wrong product.

Fixes:

* The Command Prompt (Admin) and Windows Power Shell (Admin) items in the context menu of the 'Start Menu' internal command were not launching those applications elevated.

* UAC prompt no longer appears minimized in the taskbar when launching applications that require elevation from menus.

* 'Media Mute' internal command introduced in v23.11 would change to an invalid 'CD Control' internal command upon restarting the application.

* If the 'Combine dock icons with running applications' was enabled, it was possible for an icon on the dock to remain flashing for attention even after the associated application had already been closed.

* The hide animation of a Grid Stack was stealing the focus from an application launched through it, which could cause full screen games launched from a Grid Stack to minimize to the taskbar immediately.

* If the "Disable all animations" setting under the General Preferences tab was checked a Grid Stack would pop up without being sent to the foreground, which could cause it to appear behind other windows.

* From Windows 8 onwards trying to rename a file using a name that already exists no longer resulted in a prompt asking the user if he wished to append (x) to the filename, the operation would fail with an error instead. The Winstep application now detects this situation itself, offers the actual prompt to add (x) to the target name and forces a rename collision if the user agrees.

* The application could crash if a live thumbnail right click context menu got unexpectadly unloaded.

###

NextSTART:

New Features:

* Universal Apps can now also be set to 'Run As Administrator' in the Item Properties dialog.

Fixes:

* The Command Prompt (Admin) and Windows Power Shell (Admin) items in the context menu of the 'Start Menu' internal command were not launching those applications elevated.

* UAC prompt no longer appears minimized in the taskbar when launching applications that require elevation from menus.

* 'Media Mute' internal command introduced in v23.11 would change to an invalid 'CD Control' internal command upon restarting the application.

* From Windows 8 onwards trying to rename a file using a name that already exists no longer resulted in a prompt asking the user if he wished to append (x) to the filename, the operation would fail with an error instead. The Winstep application now detects this situation itself, offers the actual prompt to add (x) to the target name and forces a rename collision if the user agrees.

* Menu items were not remembering the 'Run As Administrator' setting between sessions.

* The application could crash if a live thumbnail right click context menu got unexpectadly unloaded.

###

Nexus Ultimate:

New Features:

* The Windows 11 22H2 CPU usage mitigation settings will now only appear on the CPU Meter settings panel if running under the affected systems (Windows 11 22H2 and 23H2).

* Added option to show password when typing a new password to the Email Checker module settings dialog.

* 'Allow Multiple Instances' setting in the Item Properties dialog can now also be applied to Universal Apps. Allows launching multiple instances of the same application without having to press SHIFT or double-click even if 'Do not launch multiple sessions of the same application' is active.

* Added 3 additional fish types to choose from for Wanda.

* Added another possible option to the License Key Troubleshooter, where a license key file exists in the proper folder but is for the wrong product.

Fixes:

* If the 'Combine dock icons with running applications' was enabled, it was possible for an icon on the dock to remain flashing for attention even after the associated application had already been closed.

* The hide animation of a Grid Stack was stealing the focus from an application launched through it, which could cause full screen games launched from a Grid Stack to minimize to the taskbar immediately.

* If the "Disable all animations" setting under the General Preferences tab was checked a Grid Stack would pop up without being sent to the foreground, which could cause it to appear behind other windows.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: What's next after v23.11?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:27 pm 

Winstep wrote:

I stopped using Grid Stacks on my taskbar because of this problem.

I installed and tested the latest Public Beta. Unfortunately the problem still exists. It did take a while for the problem to appear - maybe one time in thirty tries - which seems slightly less often than before installing the Beta. It also happened again when I turned off "Disable all animations" which I don't remember ever happening before.

I was able to make it happen a third time with "Disable all animations" checked and ForeTester running. It happened after clicking on a link to Winstep in Google search and then trying to open a Grid Stack on my taskbar. It also seems to happen more frequently after the first time it happens.

Before installing the Beta if a Grid Stack opened behind another window, I was able to click on the edge of the Grid Stack that was under the open window, and bring it forward. After installing the Beta this no longer works.

Here is the output of ForeTester.

Attachments:
ForeTester.PNG
ForeTester.PNG [ 5.77 KiB | Viewed 2355 times ]

Last edited by Nezbit on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you opening the Grid Stack from NextSTART? Otherwise why is NextSTART getting focus first?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm 

I created the Grid Stack on a Dock and then used "Add new Quick Launch Item" on the taskbar to add the Grid Stack to the Quick Launch area. So yes I am opening the Grid Stack from NextSTART.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should know already that the devil is in the details lol

I'll have to double check what happens in terms of focus under those circumstances.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:15 pm 

Since Docks are created under WorkShelf if I remember correctly, and I am using part of that Dock - the Grid Stack - on NextSTART, would it be easier and work better to add the ability to create a Grid Stack from the Quick Launch area of the taskbar?

I use Grid Stacks on the taskbar as a replacement for the Windows Start Menu. It is so much easier to customize and the theme matches my Winstep Xtreme theme.

If only Microsoft would decide that Winstep Xtreme would be just what Windows needs and they would would work out a nice licensing deal with you. It might solve a lot of problems. Or maybe make things much worse????????

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nezbit wrote:
Since Docks are created under WorkShelf if I remember correctly, and I am using part of that Dock - the Grid Stack - on NextSTART, would it be easier and work better to add the ability to create a Grid Stack from the Quick Launch area of the taskbar?

Besides Grid Stacks you can also activate WorkShelf docks from NextSTART, and even capture WorkShelf modules into the NextSTART taskbar (likewise WorkShelf can have items that activate NextSTART hotspots).

However, these options should be regarded as an 'integration bonus', since all the mentioned objects belong exclusively to WorkShelf and WorkShelf needs to be running for that integration to work. Grid Stacks in particular - like sub-docks - do not exist 'on their own', they are (and need to be) attached to a parent dock. That way they must always be managed thought WorkShelf.

Nezbit wrote:
If only Microsoft would decide that Winstep Xtreme would be just what Windows needs and they would would work out a nice licensing deal with you. It might solve a lot of problems. Or maybe make things much worse????????

You do not want to get in bed with Microsoft, trust me! :D More likely than not you would wake up with an incurable disease (or several) lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:24 am 

Another issue popped up. The first time I try to open a Grid Stack from the taskbar an error window opens up. After I close the window it works without a problem.

Attachments:
Error at Startup.PNG
Error at Startup.PNG [ 8.21 KiB | Viewed 2330 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That only means NextSTART was temporarily unable to communicate with WorkShelf for some reason.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Nezbit wrote:

You do not want to get in bed with Microsoft, trust me! :D More likely than not you would wake up with an incurable disease (or several) lol

Not to mention a very sore back passage! :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:07 am 

Winstep wrote:
You should know already that the devil is in the details

Just in case it matters, I have the Dock with the Grid Stack disabled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:47 pm 

Winstep wrote:
That only means NextSTART was temporarily unable to communicate with WorkShelf for some reason.

I found that WorkShelf was loading 3-5 seconds after NextSTART. To resolve the issue I exited NextSTART and unchecked "Run NextSTART at Windows Startup". I rebooted so that only WorkShelf was running. I then exited WorkShelf and unchecked "Run WorkShelf at Windows startup". I rebooted and waited a minute for everything to load. I started WorkShelf and after it finished loading I started NextSTART. Under the Preferences/General Tab for WorkShelf and NextSTART, I checked the box to run at Windows startup. I rebooted and I the delay in loading WorkShelf is no longer there, and the error window no longer pops up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, what's next after v23.11? How about v24.6? Anyone? :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]