Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
1. The issue does not happen upon returning back from sleep. I tested this theory several times and several methods (on/off button), allowing system to automatically go into sleep mode. The dock never froze up during or after returning from sleep.

I have made an edit to my power options this morning to disable hibernation entirely and will check to see if there is an issue with the dock after my system sleeps for an extended period of time.

Are you sure it does not happen with Sleep? The system has to be left sleeping for some time for the MM timers constant firing problem to become an issue.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 pm 

It only appears to be happening from hibernation. When I put it into sleep and re-wake sometime later, the dock works fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
It only appears to be happening from hibernation. When I put it into sleep and re-wake sometime later, the dock works fine.

If that is so, then I don't think this has anything to do with the MM timers.

Still, my Win10 machine here is set to hibernate and I never see an issue when the PC resumes. Sigh. Don't you just love computers?! :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:49 pm 

I will do additional testing later today to see if I can figure out if it is truly happening from sleep or hibernation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:46 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, it's now Monday and I've already rested a bit from those hectic release days, so it's time to start looking for a fix to these little pesky things.

Humberto, without a way to reproduce an issue 100% of the time, there isn't much I can do unless I run into that issue by accident. Also, I didn't quite understand what was wrong in that video you made (which has now been deleted?)

1 and 2 - both are quite random, but occurs quite frequently.
3 - The error occurs every time I go in "themes" and click "Apply" the colors are changed to red and that is configured to be in the same Windows colors (blue).

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aROA1dLAWF0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:
The Email Checker keeps saying I have 1 new message. What's happening is yes, I have one message in my inbox I haven't archived yet, but I've read it already. I think that's why it keeps telling me every 15 mins I have a new message. But I don't. It's just thinking the message in there, even though it's read, is the new message.

From the FAQ:

Q) The Email Checker is displaying the wrong number of messages?
A) The Email Checker is not a full blown email client. The Email Checker simply asks the server how many messages are pending retrieval, and, if there are any, that's what it reports. It also keeps a counter of the number of messages in the server so it will only notify you again when more mail arrives. The notification, however, will tell you the total number of messages still in the server, not the number of messages that arrived between the new and previous notifications.

This counter is reset when the number of messages in the server is less than the value in the counter (which means mail has been retrieved in the mean time) or when you tell the Checker to launch the email client.

The Email Checker has no way of knowing which messages have already been read but left on the server.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:52 pm 

After doing more testing, I can confirm that the dock freezing & high cpu utilization are happening after returning from sleep. In fact, it is happening about 45 minutes after the system was put to sleep. I can see this on the dock clock. It displays a time of 45 minutes after the system was put to sleep either through the power options, or naturally letting the system go to sleep from inactivity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
After doing more testing, I can confirm that the dock freezing & high cpu utilization are happening after returning from sleep. In fact, it is happening about 45 minutes after the system was put to sleep. I can see this on the dock clock. It displays a time of 45 minutes after the system was put to sleep either through the power options, or naturally letting the system go to sleep from inactivity.

Ok, lets give this a try then:

Download an update to the Winstep Multimedia Timer DLL from HERE.

Unzip, exit all running Winstep applications, run the setup program.

Confirm that the version of WsxMMTimer.dll is now indeed 1.07 and re-start the Winstep application.

Next time the system has spent some significant time sleeping, please report back if there were any changes.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 pm 

Thanks. I downloaded, installed, and checked the version this morning. I'll go back and check it out this afternoon as well as tonight to see what happens.

Post subject: RE: VERSION 16.2 OFFICIALLY RELEASED. POST ANY ISSUES HERE.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:19 pm 

Hi i have an issue,when i click the chrome app or minimize it's always opening new tab how can i disable this please reply. btw Do not launch multiple sessions of the same application section not working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y-ffA9 ... e=youtu.be

Last edited by Daniv on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RE: VERSION 16.2 OFFICIALLY RELEASED. POST ANY ISSUES HE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daniv wrote:
Hi i have an issue,when i click the chrome app or minimize it's always opening new tab how can i disable this please reply. btw Do not launch multiple sessions of the same application section not working

'Do not launch multiple sessions of the same application' is working fine.

I think your problem has to do with something else: Chrome has both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. They are NOT the same thing. For this purpose you can consider the 32 bit version as a different application from the 64 bit version altogether.

So, if the 64 bit version of Chrome is currently open BUT the shortcut in your dock points to the 32 bit version (C:\Program Files (x86)\ instead of C:\Program Files\) then clicking the Chrome shortcut in the dock will open the 32 bit version of Chrome instead of switching to the currently open 64 bit version of Chrome.

The same thing happens with the Windows taskbar! If you have BOTH the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Chrome (or any other application, mind you) open at the same time, you get TWO buttons in the Windows taskbar instead of just one.

What I think Nexus is doing wrong here is that it is being too smart for its own sake: it will show a running indicator for an application regardless of the shortcut pointing to the 32 bit version while the currently running version is 64 bit.

Something else I noticed, but only under Windows 10, which might also be a problem although, as far as I know, it's so far restricted to IE: if the shortcut in the dock points to the 32 bit version of IE under Windows 10, when launched IE will open the 64 bit version instead (i.e.; it will ignore the fact that the user explicitly told it to open the 32 bit and not the 64 bit version). Given that 32 and 64 bit versions of the same application are treated as if they were completely different applications, you can imagine the confusion.

Since the dock by default adds a shortcut to IE, to solve this under Windows 10 I had to make sure that shortcut actually points to the 64 bit version and not the 32 bit version - or I would have more people saying that 'do not launch multiple sessions...' is not working.

Anyway, if I misunderstood what you were tying to say, please let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:47 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y-ffA9 ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright! If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures! :)

Now we're talking - see how important it is to use as many details as possible when describing an issue?

I'm going to look into this, with the video I immediately spotted two independent problems there - the one you described and the one causing the Access Violation error.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 pm 

I hope you fix it soon thank you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:03 am 

Jorge... I've done additional testing and the updated timers file has not resolved all of the issue with resuming from sleep. The clock shows the exact time that the system went into deep sleep. Dock is inactive. And CPU usage is about 45 to 50 percent.

Strangely, though, the time that the dock becomes active again has been reduced by more than half. (Reduced from 2 minutes to about 45 seconds.)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next