Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:53 pm 

Os bugs que encontrei:

1 - As vezes as configurações não são salvas.
2 - O programa trava caso você faça muitas alterações sem reiniciar o aplicativo.
3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Th_jVLPto

----

The bugs that I found:

1 - Sometimes the settings are not saved.
2 - The program crashes if you make many changes without restarting the application.
3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Th_jVLPto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:42 pm 

Minor bug/quirk/issue I noticed for Nexus Ultimate...

For dock settings, under Appearance, Dock Transparency you set the icons to be a certain percentage transparent... and then go to use the Effect for either mouse over, launch or attention with "Fade In" the transparency by default for the icon effect does not obey its own setting but instead, the icon transparency setting. So for it to work proper, the icon transparency has to be set to Zero percent (Opaque).

I still have the xfiles theme playing anyway. It's forever!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:58 pm 

Another?

The Email Checker keeps saying I have 1 new message. What's happening is yes, I have one message in my inbox I haven't archived yet, but I've read it already. I think that's why it keeps telling me every 15 mins I have a new message. But I don't. It's just thinking the message in there, even though it's read, is the new message.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:54 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
Jorge, so the bottom line is, you don't have to worry about the hanging part itself.

Actually, I do. And that should be the easy part to fix, since I already have a pretty good idea on why this might be happening. :)

Wow! I'm shocked. I thought because Windows appears to be the culprit and hangs worse than than the dock you couldn't do anything about it. I'm glad you can stop the dock from hanging.

I looked into it and decided to try to help after reading the KB185292 Microsoft link you posted. I hope the Windows error message I posted helps to fix everything regarding the CD/DVD feature.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, it's now Monday and I've already rested a bit from those hectic release days, so it's time to start looking for a fix to these little pesky things.

Humberto, without a way to reproduce an issue 100% of the time, there isn't much I can do unless I run into that issue by accident. Also, I didn't quite understand what was wrong in that video you made (which has now been deleted?)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:23 pm 

Waking up from sleep on my Surface Pro 3, the dock is frozen. Upon examining Task Manager, I find that Nexus is 50% of CPU. Even after waiting 5 minutes, the dock remains frozen and high CPU usage. Only thing that can be done is force shutdown of Nexus and restart. This has happened every single time that I have resumed from sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Waking up from sleep on my Surface Pro 3, the dock is frozen. Upon examining Task Manager, I find that Nexus is 50% of CPU. Even after waiting 5 minutes, the dock remains frozen and high CPU usage. Only thing that can be done is force shutdown of Nexus and restart. This has happened every single time that I have resumed from sleep.

I've seen this before.

You must have a dual-core CPU, so 50% usage means Nexus is maxing out one of the cores.

Nexus uses something called the Multimedia Timers to control animation timings. These are special very high-resolution timers (they can fire at 10 millisecond intervals), and that is why they are used for Nexus effect animations, but they do have a serious undocumented issue that also bit Mozilla's Firefox in the rear for a long time: if your computer goes to Sleep or Hibernation, when it comes back to 'life' the multimedia timers, instead of resuming from where they were, start firing continuously to make up for the lost time.

With a 10ms trigger, imagine how many times they must fire continuously to make up for a computer that has been in Sleep for a few hours.

That continuous firing of the timers causes the application to stop responding to user input, using up all the available CPU, until the timers have fired the number of times they would have had the computer not been asleep.

The application is not dead, however. It will magically return to life once that happens (but, of course, nobody is going to sit there for 10 minutes or more staring at an unresponsive application).

Anyway, as you can see this is a well known issue. And one that has been fixed a very loooong time ago, so I don't understand why it's rearing its ugly head again - it certainly does not happen here in any of my computers that go to Sleep.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, just wanted to do add the following:

To solve this problem the multi-media timer is destroyed whenever a notification is received that the system is about to enter a power saving mode such as Sleep or Hibernate, and re-created again once the system resumes from the low energy mode.

So, the only reason I see for this to happen on some systems (as I said, it does not happen here on any of my machines, all running different flavors of Windows) is that the system fails, for some reason, to notify the application that it is about to enter a power saving mode.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 am 

Hmmm... that is interesting. I have not edited any of the power settings on my Surface Pro 3. Everything is stock on my i5 multi-core running Windows 10. I do have some services disabled for performance improvements. What calls to Windows 10 system services are there? Maybe I've disabled something that is causing the issue coming back from sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I doubt very much it has anything to do with that, so don't start changing things at random. :wink:

What makes this really weird is that the problem has been well known for a long time (I could reproduce this on my machines too) *and* it has been fixed a long time ago too. It no longer happens here, nor on the vast majority of PCs.

But from time to time I do get a report like yours, so you're not alone.

I just don't understand what could be causing it in cases like yours, other than Windows failing to send that all important notification.

For instance, look under

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\

for WsxMMTimer.dll. Right click on it, select Properties then click on the Details tab. File version should be 1.0.0.6. Can you please check that it is?

Also, while you are at it, try searching your whole C:\ drive for WsxMMTimer.dll to see if there is an older version somehow floating around. I don't think you will find one, but it's worth a try.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 am 

Thanks for the fast response. I checked the version and it is the correct one and I do not have any other versions of the file on my computer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Thanks for the fast response. I checked the version and it is the correct one and I do not have any other versions of the file on my computer.

It just occurred to me that if you were running Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme we could use the new battery monitor module, and its ability to log power events, to help troubleshoot this. The sleep power event (when received) is logged if the system is currently operating on battery power and the battery module is configured to log power events.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:26 am 

That would be a great idea; but, I haven't decided to make the purchase just yet. Partly due to this issue. I love the dock, its' features, and appearance. Best on the market; but, I have never had this issue with ObjectDock or even Rocketdock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

True, they just have other problems. :P

Anyway, none of those docks feature the over 30 different mouse-over, launch and attention effects that require the use of the high-resolution MM timers. :wink:

Seriously now, I'm obviously not happy that this is happening to you (or to any other user, no matter how few are affected by this in the global universe of Winstep users).

Perhaps I'll come up with some idea to figure out what might be happening in the mean time, but that will require your help. Stay tuned if you are up to it. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:13 pm 

Jorge,

I agree that the other docks have their own sets of issues. That is the reason I have come to love your dock. It is beautiful and extremely functional. So, I'm in this for the long haul and more than willing to help in any way possible.

In fact, I've done some more testing on this issue overnight. Here is what I've discovered so far:

1. The issue does not happen upon returning back from sleep. I tested this theory several times and several methods (on/off button), allowing system to automatically go into sleep mode. The dock never froze up during or after returning from sleep.

2. The issue only happens upon returning back from hibernation. I tested this by putting it directly into hibernation through the power menu as well as allowing the system to go into hibernation automatically. Upon returning back, the dock was frozen.

3. Regaining control of the dock after hibernation was taking nearly 5 minutes when I used animated icons, atomic clock check/update, and with the automatic weather.

4. Regaining control of the dock after hibernation was less than 2 minutes when I disabled atomic clock check, and changed animated icons back to static icons.

I have made an edit to my power options this morning to disable hibernation entirely and will check to see if there is an issue with the dock after my system sleeps for an extended period of time.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next