Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:36 pm 

Well after extensively testing my theory yesterday and overnight, I can say that this did not solve the problem. Woke up the computer this morning and the dock was frozen with high cpu usage. It doesn't make sense because there is nothing that needs to be tagging the cpu like that. I have no animated icons, modules, internal commands, or even tray icons in the dock. It has been stripped down to only shortcuts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm 

Jorge... Can you explain why Windows Command Processor and Google Chrome are listed as a process within Nexus when I look within the Startup tab of the Windows 10 Task Manager?

I wish I could have gotten a screenshot; but, I finally had to uninstall Nexus because it was just way too annoying with the high cpu/frozen dock upon waking up the computer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Jorge... Can you explain why Windows Command Processor and Google Chrome are listed as a process within Nexus when I look within the Startup tab of the Windows 10 Task Manager?

Sure. Because you used Nexus to start those processes (i.e.; launch their shortcuts).

bubbamcgee wrote:
I wish I could have gotten a screenshot; but, I finally had to uninstall Nexus because it was just way too annoying with the high cpu/frozen dock upon waking up the computer.

Sorry it has come to that. I should release v16.3 today or tomorrow, so you can try downloading the full version of that - but I don't think the new release is going to solve whatever is happening there either. :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 pm 

Quote:
Sure. Because you used Nexus to start those processes (i.e.; launch their shortcuts).

Actually, I had not used them to start any process. This was immediately upon starting my computer this afternoon. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Actually, I had not used them to start any process. This was immediately upon starting my computer this afternoon. :?:

And is your computer set to automatically run Chrome at startup? Because if the process was already running, something launched it - and Nexus does not have the ability to launch other applications automatically at startup.

Also, 'Windows Command Processor'? Are you sure that is what you mean or did you mean a CMD Prompt? Windows Command Processor is apparently known malware.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 pm 

Sorry, I should have said windows command prompt. And, no, I do not have Chrome set to start automatically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I don't know then. :)

As I said, Nexus has no ability to automatically launch applications at start-up. NextSTART (the menu and taskbar component of Winstep Xtreme) does, but you have to associate those applications to hotspots and explicitly set the hotspots to run automatically when NextSTART starts.

Anyway, if a CMD window is running, you should be able to switch to it and see its contents, no? Likewise for Google Chrome.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:44 pm 

Though not a earth shattering issue, I hope you can fix this before the next maintenance release. I forgot to mention it earlier because I was focused on other things.

If a folder/file is dragged to WorkShelf (via bump to display desktop items and drag to it) and then deleted, WorkShelf hangs open and is blank (none of the icons are displayed) and will not return until it is bumped again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Though not a earth shattering issue, I hope you can fix this before the next maintenance release. I forgot to mention it earlier because I was focused on other things.

Too late now. v16.3 is already in the approval queue at Download.com.

Windy wrote:
If a folder/file is dragged to WorkShelf (via bump to display desktop items and drag to it) and then deleted, WorkShelf hangs open and is blank (none of the icons are displayed) and will not return until it is bumped again.

Ok, can you run that by me again but this time in more detail, please?

Step by step guide to reproduce, what type of Shelf tab are you dragging the file to, etc... :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:23 am 

Here's a video that will better illustrate the issue. To be more clear, I dragged the folder with a file in it to the desktop tab in WorkShelf. I didn't try it on the others e.g. Control Panel etc.
View My Video

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Here's a video that will better illustrate the issue. To be more clear, I dragged the folder with a file in it to the desktop tab in WorkShelf. I didn't try it on the others e.g. Control Panel etc.
View My Video

Ok, gotcha, thanks. I've fixed the bug and refreshed the versions available for download on the Winstep web site.

Since v16.3 is still on the processing queue at Download.com, with some luck they will pick up the new version when they finally update their listing.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, just checked and the version on their servers already includes the fix. Yay! :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:01 pm 

Is the 16.3 maintenance update you posted on this site exactly the same as the one that came via NextSTART Update Manager?

I'm asking because I installed the Update Manager version and it didn't fix the issue. After that, I DL the CNET version but then decided not to install it since it appears to be the full version and not a maintenance update. I was reluctant to use it because I was concerned that it would wipe out my settings and I would have to start from scratch.

My next step was to install the version you posted on this site and it didn't fix the issue either. After some serious thought as to why it didn't fix the issue, I decided to restart my PC and happily it fixed it! :D

I now remember this happened before that the fix didn't take until after I restarted my PC. Maybe for the next release you should add a restart PC prompt after the new version is installed?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6