Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new v16.2 releases of Winstep Xtreme, Nexus Ultimate and Nexus have been rolled out to the Winstep Update Manager. You should get an automatic notification within the next 24 hours - or you can manually force a check for updates now.

There were many, many, fundamental changes made to the code in v16.2, particularly to make it much easier - and faster - to add new modules in the future (the new battery module is a result of this). However, in applications as complex as Nexus and Winstep Xtreme, such radical changes also increase the likelihood of introducing new bugs in code that was previously working fine.

So, should you find anything that is not working quite right in the v16.2 release, please post it here... and in the mean time have fun with it and all the new features! :)

EDIT: Maintenance update available from HERE.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:14 am 

Working great so far... good work and thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks. :)

I was fixing little bugs and quirks like crazy until the final hour.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:32 am 

Well that shows real dedication and a kind of love for it. It's your project. For years and it's come so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And we've got our first serious issue.

Some time ago during v16.2's development, a user contacted me because he wanted to run a customized shortcut to the command prompt. The shortcut did run, but not with the customization options he had selected (if you remember, in the shortcut itself to a CMD window you can specify things such as font size, etc...)

This happened because the routine that executes programs automatically resolved shortcuts - so it would actually run CMD.EXE instead of the shortcut itself, thus by-passing the user's customization options.

To solve this issue, I changed the code so that, if a user explicitly targeted a shortcut in the Item Properties dialog, the shortcut itself would run instead of the target application.

This should work fine since shortcuts are immediately resolved when you drag & drop items into the dock (i.e; if you drop a shortcut into the dock, the dock item itself will point to the target application, NOT the shorcut). This makes sense because shortcuts can be deleted at any time.

A dock item specifically pointing to a shortcut could thus only mean that the user had deliberately made that item point to a shortcut. So now we would run the shortcut itself instead of trying to resolve it automatically.

But I forgot one very important thing: NextSTART. Particularly the 'All Programs' sub-menu of the Windows Start Menu: all you have there are shortcuts to applications. The changes I made to the code now made NextSTART execute the shortcut itself instead of the target application.

And why is this a problem? Because of the automatic file system re-direction in 64 bit systems for 32 bit applications (PITA!!). If that shortcut points to a 64 bit application (one that resides in C:\Program Files\), the system will now try to run the 32 bit version instead (residing in C:\Program Files (x86)\) - and it will fail with an error that the file cannot be found.

An example of this are most of the shortcuts inside the \Programs\Games\ sub-menu, such as Freecell, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:09 am 

Oh my gosh too funny. PITA indeed. Yes, ObjectDock gives the user the option to turn off or on, when adding shortcuts to the dock, point to the application, not the shortcut.

I don't use nextstart but but what if you just had it mimic the user folder in the application data folder and in program data? You have to enable view hidden folders to navigate to them.

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NextSTART does this automatically for the All Programs menu.

Anyway, this is a fine example of how things that were previously working fine get accidentally broken. I'm issuing a silent update as we speak.

Winstep Xtreme users affected by this can re-download the update from HERE.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 pm 

Hi Jorge, glad to see you fixed that WorkShelf shortcut 32 and 64 bit redirect problem! :D I deleted the workaround shortcuts I made and used the Send to desktop versions and they work great!

Have you looked into this problem yet that I posted about in the other thread?

"I still get the CD error message. I have two CD icons. One on the left side dock and one on the right.

However, it happens only when I click on the CD icons on the docks in short succession.

In other words, if I click on the icon and open it, then immediately close and reopen either drawer (for example even if I use the right dock icon to open and close the assigned drawer, and immediately click on the icon on the left dock to open the other drawer), the dock will hang, and any further clicks on the CD icon on either dock will show the error message.

Exiting and re-entering Xtreme clears the error message issue until that quick succession sequence is repeated.

Once cleared, (by exiting and re-entering Xtreme) I found through trial and error that if I wait about 5 seconds before reopening either drawer, the dock will not hang or display the error message."

You should be able to reproduce the problem.

I also have a couple of questions.

1. Can you AT LEAST do something to prevent the error message from showing again when the drawer is able to open again after the dock hangs? And it would be even better if you can do something to prevent the dock from hanging and showing the error message.

2. I haven't yet installed any of the new versions on the PC's of the users I had purchase Xtreme. Is the silent update (that's posted above this post) enough by itself, or will I have to install the latest version before installing the silent update?

I'll wait to hear your answer about the CD dock icon issue before I install the updates to their PC's. Again, thanks for all your hard work! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:19 pm 

I've got a couple of bugs to report.

The first bug: Similar to the bug WINDY reported. I get the error every time I click on the CD Control button. (video at the end of this post)

The second bug: When I open a folder as a menu, then right click an item to 'Run as Administrator' the menu does not close. It is stuck on the screen.

I can simulate this on both Winstep Nexus & Extreme

Thank-you Jorge for making such a wonderful product!
_Sam

Here is the video:
http://screencast.com/t/YFi4yMeA

Last edited by this on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 pm 

The proof! lol "I want to believe..." (X-files theme begins...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

this wrote:
The first bug: Similar to the bug WINDY reported. I get the error every time I click on the CD Control button. (video proof at the end of this post)

Error 1816 is a new one. It means 'ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA: Not enough quota is available to process this command'.

Whatever that means. :P Perhaps related to disk quotas, but also can be caused by other things: KB185292

But does the CD tray still open and close? You forgot to specify that.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyway, lets keep this bug reports coming.

I'm going to focus on finishing the Winstep Theme Builder now, which I hope shouldn't take much time. This way the next release should feature the new Theme Builder *and* will also be a maintenance release - hopefully fixing all the small pesky critters that got past the beta testers this time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:21 am 

Jorge, I'm also getting the 1816 error.

I did some further testing and to your credit, it's still far better to use Xtreme to open and close the CD/DVD drawers even with the error messages.

I tested out Windows vs Xtreme by going into Computer and opening the drawer by left-clicking and also using the context menu via right-click. What the test showed is that (at least on my system) the hanging is not caused by Xtreme, but Windows. Xtreme is merely responding to the inefficiency of Windows much like WorkShelf will sometimes hang because the hard drive went to sleep after not being used for a while and takes a little while to wake up again.

Even more surprising (and why Jorge is awesome) is that when using the Xtreme CD icon on the dock to open and close the drawer, it's at least 3 times faster! As I mentioned before, if I wait about 5 seconds before clicking the icon after opening and closing the drawer with the CD dock feature, I WILL NOT GET AN ERROR MESSAGE AND THE DOCK WILL NOT HANG!

However, if I use windows to open the drawer, I have to wait a minimum of 15 seconds and sometimes more than 20 seconds before I can reopen the drawer. And of course, the hassle of having to close the drawer by hand.

Jorge, so the bottom line is, you don't have to worry about the hanging part itself. Just see if there is a way you can prevent the error message from repeatedly displaying even when the drawers open after the dock hangs if someone clicks on the icon before the 5 seconds.

Hope this helps you with the 1816 error message. I got this error message using Windows via the CD/DVD icon in Computer when I was testing opening the drawer in quick succession. Does this have anything to do with the drawer not being able to open immediately after closing because it's trying to find something?

Attachment:
CD Drive Error.jpg
CD Drive Error.jpg [ 18.51 KiB | Viewed 25978 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:17 am 

Hi Jorge.

Yes, the CD Tray does open and close.

Nutrynion, I fixed my post. You can turn off the X-Files theme music in your head now. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, so the bottom line is, you don't have to worry about the hanging part itself.

Actually, I do. And that should be the easy part to fix, since I already have a pretty good idea on why this might be happening. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next