Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Version 16.2 officially released. Post any issues here.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Strangely, though, the time that the dock becomes active again has been reduced by more than half. (Reduced from 2 minutes to about 45 seconds.)

Wait... I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask it: you are aware that how long the dock will remain inactive after the system returns from Sleep depends on how long it was sleeping for, right?

The longer the system was sleeping, the longer it will take for the dock to 'come back'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daniv wrote:
I hope you fix it soon thank you

Ok, I fixed both problems here.

However, be aware of the following: the reason a second session (new tab as you call it) was being launched was because you were *double-clicking* the icon.

I fixed it so it doesn't happen anymore with icons of running applications on the right side of the dock, BUT, if you are using the 'combine dock icons' feature, *double clicking* an icon on the left side of the dock, by design, means 'launch a new session'. It's the same as SHIFT + Left Clicking.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:
Minor bug/quirk/issue I noticed for Nexus Ultimate...

For dock settings, under Appearance, Dock Transparency you set the icons to be a certain percentage transparent... and then go to use the Effect for either mouse over, launch or attention with "Fade In" the transparency by default for the icon effect does not obey its own setting but instead, the icon transparency setting. So for it to work proper, the icon transparency has to be set to Zero percent (Opaque).

Sorry, forgot to reply to this one. This is also by design (check the history/change log file and you will see). It allows you to control how transparent dock icons are to begin with.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maintenance update released:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9857

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm 

Thank you for update:)it's working flawless now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:51 pm 

Just installed the latest 16.2 Maintenance update. I tested the CD/DVD dock feature and I have good and bad news.

First the good news. When I use the dock icon that opens my PC's drawer, it works perfectly with no hang or error message even after repeatedly clicking on the icon in quick succession.

Now for the bad news. When I use the icon that opens the drawer for my (LG External Super Multi DVD Rewriter CSA-E60L) USB external CD/DVD drive in quick succession I no longer get the 1816 error, but now get the following error and the dock still hangs. One good thing though is that if I close the error message it will not reappear as long as I wait 7 seconds (7 flashes of the light on the unit) before clicking on the dock icon again to reopen the drawer. I no longer have to exit Xtreme to clear out the error message.

Attachment:
Winstep-CD Error.png
Winstep-CD Error.png [ 37.57 KiB | Viewed 20025 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:54 pm 

I believe that I found a solution to the timer problem through an odd source. It turns out that Stardock Deskscapes was having a similar issue upon the computer waking up. Deskscapes is totally frozen. Nobody has reported whether it resolves itself after a period time. Nobody probably took the time to find out. According to recent forum posts, they can work around the issue by disabling password upon wake. Stardock reports that they have a solution to the issue. I haven't attempted this "work around" yet to see if it solves the Nexus issue; but, I will tonight and then report back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:36 pm 

Ok, I tried "work around" that I posted earlier and it did not solve the problem. So, I am back to square one on trying to figure out a way of fixing the issue. The only thing that I can say is the high CPU and frozen state are taking way less time to resolve than before.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
When I use the icon that opens the drawer for my (LG External Super Multi DVD Rewriter CSA-E60L) USB external CD/DVD drive in quick succession I no longer get the 1816 error, but now get the following error and the dock still hangs.

Windy, that error means the hardware is still busy finishing up the previous operation.

One is not supposed to repeatedly click on the CD Control button in quick succession for the same reason one should not flick a light switch on and off repeatedly: the material was not made for that and you'll eventually burn the bulb.

bubbamcgee wrote:
Ok, I tried "work around" that I posted earlier and it did not solve the problem. So, I am back to square one on trying to figure out a way of fixing the issue. The only thing that I can say is the high CPU and frozen state are taking way less time to resolve than before.

I did not think the previous work around was going to do anything either.

Look, this 'taking less time' thing can either be a clue or simply the result of some kind of placebo effect.

I think the only way to solve this is by making a debug version of that DLL and then checking the output to see what it tells us.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 am 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
When I use the icon that opens the drawer for my (LG External Super Multi DVD Rewriter CSA-E60L) USB external CD/DVD drive in quick succession I no longer get the 1816 error, but now get the following error and the dock still hangs.

Windy, that error means the hardware is still busy finishing up the previous operation.

One is not supposed to repeatedly click on the CD Control button in quick succession for the same reason one should not flick a light switch on and off repeatedly: the material was not made for that and you'll eventually burn the bulb.

Point taken, but I'm still somewhat confused. How is it that you're able to make the dock work better than Windows?!! When I attempt to open the PC drawer in quick succession using Windows (via Computer using left or right-click to open and close it), it pretty much acts like my external drawer does taking a while to respond.

So, I was hoping that you would be able to work your magic and make the dock icon operation that opens the external drawer work flawlessly like you did with the PC drawer with this latest 16.2 Maintenance update because up until that point, they were both doing the same thing on the dock and in Windows.

I assume you weren't able to do that so far because you don't have an external CD/DVD unit. Does this mean that I'm going to have to ship my external CD/DVD drive to you so you can make the dock work with an external drawer like you were able to with the PC drawer?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 am 

Hello Jorge.

Your latest patch fixes the CD Control item on my PC, however on my laptop it exhibits the same behavior as before.

In the video I install the latest patch then try twice to get my DVD drive to eject. It does not eject, I only get an error message. If I eject it inside a windows file explorer window, it works. I love using the dock, and I know this is a minor problem. I just thought I would let you know.

--------------------------------
Cue the X-Files music.....
http://screencast.com/t/RfwkA7RLQ
--------------------------------

» » » I did a fresh install with the default dock, nothing but the update added, the behavior was the same.

_Sam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

this wrote:
Your latest patch fixes the CD Control item on my PC, however on my laptop it exhibits the same behavior as before.

Is the DVD drive on your laptop really assigned the letter O: ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm, I think I know what might be going on here.

That 4/1 means the Load Media function is not supported. My guess is that your DVD drive is able to eject media but not load it in without manual intervention. Am I right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:56 pm 

Ok, I took the advice that you gave another person using a Surface Pro with the high CPU usage and copied the stacks shown within Process Explorer this morning. I did it for the two processes that were hitting the CPU for 20+% throughout the time the dock was frozen. Not sure what any of this means... But hopefully it will help.

ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap+0x282
wow64win.dll+0x13944
wow64win.dll+0x5b19
wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x155
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0xb
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x212
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x120
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x141
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
USER32.dll!GetPropA+0x2
0 MSVBVM50.DLL!Ordinal957+0x1a97
0 ntdll.dll!RtlLeaveCriticalSection
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x540
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x503
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x212
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x120
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x141
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bubbamcgee wrote:
Ok, I took the advice that you gave another person using a Surface Pro with the high CPU usage and copied the stacks shown within Process Explorer this morning. I did it for the two processes that were hitting the CPU for 20+% throughout the time the dock was frozen. Not sure what any of this means... But hopefully it will help.

Two processes or two threads? If two threads, which part of that stack dump belongs to which thread?

Anyway, that didn't tell me much, except that it does not involve the High Resolution Multimedia Timer.

Then again, I don't think I fully explained how this works in the other post. The idea is that when you get a situation with high CPU usage the application is, more likely than not, in a tight loop.

In practice this means that most of that busy time is spent executing the same code over and over again. So, when you do a Stack trace, chances are you will get a 'snapshot' of what is happening while executing that loop - but this is not necessarily so.

So, what you need to do is click that 'Stack' button in Process Explorer for the busiest thread more than once. If you see a Stack dump that is basically the same every time (or nearly every time) you click that button, then Bob's your uncle!

Hope I explained this in a way that can be understood.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 88 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next