Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Monitor Edge Bump Issue version 16.6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am 

winstep wrote:
Dino7405 wrote:
When taskbar is hidden (or set to auto-hide), and a UWP app window is maximized, edge bump does not work

Oh crap! That's it.

Chuck, you're right too, sorry. When I maximized my FF window here to test what you were saying, I did it on my primary screen, which has the NextSTART taskbar.

I now did the same on a secondary screen (no taskbar, so he maximized FF window does indeed cover the whole screen there) and I managed to reproduce your findings (see how the devil is always in the details?).

It doesn't happen if instead of a FF maximized window I maximize Outlook, though.

I'm just glad to be off the hook for the screenshot! :lol:

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Multiple Monitor Edge Bump Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:48 pm 

Jorge, you think this will be a tough one to fix?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dino7405 wrote:
Jorge, you think this will be a tough one to fix?

Apologies for the delay in replying, I had to look into this first. You don't a situation where the fix to this specific case ends up causing some full screen applications to suddenly stop being recognized as such.

Anyway, fixed. The fix is also a catch-all for applications like Chrome, FF and even the UWP apps, where the titlebar is actually fake (user-drawn) and part of the window's client area. In other words, Chrome is no longer an exception, it is now a part of the rule.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:37 pm 

Awesome, Jorge! Will you be creating a new maintenance release that includes this fix?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No.

This 'bug' - if you want to call it that way - has existed since forever, it's not something new. It will only affect you under very specific conditions and when using very specific applications (e.g.; a Firefox window or UWP app maximized on a system with an auto-hide taskbar or on a monitor other than the primary).

Normal maximized windows do not have this problem, even when maximized on secondary monitors, because they display a normal Windows title bar. The issue only occurs with the handful of applications that draw their own title bars when maximized (Firefox, Chrome, UWP Apps).

Since it's not a generalized issue, it's not important enough to make a maintenance release so soon based solely on fixing this.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:50 pm 

I understand and that's fine. I'll have to wait until the next release. Unfortunately, I do use a lot of the UWP apps (because I also have a Windows Phone, I need that integration that the UWP apps provide among the two devices), so this poses a problem for me. No big deal. I will patiently wait for the next release :)

Thanks for all your efforts, Jorge!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but users do get annoyed with too frequent updates (which is why we've been discussing the possibility of implementing silent updates).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 am 

No worries! I completely understand. I'm probably one of the few people who actually uses UWP apps, but like I said, because my smartphone is a Windows Phone, it's more of a necessity for me. I can wait for the next release, whenever that is. Thanks again, Jorge!

Oh...and also, with the big Windows 10 Anniversary Update coming up, I may want to see what that entails. I've heard MS is implementing some big changes to the native taskbar, so we'll see. But I do love your product!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:31 pm 

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I just installed Nexus for the first time and am having this same issue but with any active window on the second monitor, not just maximized windows. The last update on this thread was over a year ago, has this issue been fixed yet?

Thank you,

Zack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Zack!

As mentioned above, it was fixed nearly two years ago.

What version of Nexus are you running?

And what do you mean by 'any active window, not just maximized windows'? What is happening exactly? What version of Windows are you running? How many monitors do you have? What is the screen DPI of each of the monitors?

Please be as descriptive as possible.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm 

Hi Jorge, thank you for your reply.

I have two monitors, both running a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Nexus is version 18.01.0116 and is at the top of my primary monitor and set to Auto-hide.

Since my original post I've found that it is actually a behavioral issue on my part; When I attempt to bump the dock down while I've been working on my second display I tend to hit the top-right edge of the primary display and slide to the center where the dock is and it does not appear. When I attempt to bump the dock down while working on my primary display I tend to hit more towards the center of my primary display and the dock appears.

I can repeat this behavior by working in a window on my primary display and hitting the top-right (or top-left) edge of the monitor and sliding to the center, the dock does not appear.

I apologize for not researching this more thoroughly before posting my question.

Thank you,

Zack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, glad you figured out what was happening. :)

Second, one of the major problems with edge bumps (especially at the top of the screen) is *accidental* activations (for instance, you rapidly move the mouse up to click on a maximized window button, overshoot and hit the screen edge, and this ends up triggering the dock to pop up when this was not the intended action).

Accidental edge bumps are one of the most annoying things and also one of the most common source of complains. Because of this several mechanisms were added to minimize the chance of accidental edge bumps as much as possible:

1. Edge bumps will only be recognized if the mouse pointer is within the area occupied by the dock.

2. Edge bumps are (optionally) ignored if they happen near the area where the buttons of maximized windows generally are.

3. Since edge bumps are normally made with the mouse pointer moving perpendicularly to the edge, too much travel in the other direction will cause the edge bump to be ignored.

I suggest you go to the General tab in Preferences and click the Edge Bump Settings button. It has a couple of settings there that might help you with this.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2