Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Multiple Monitor Edge Bump Issue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:40 am 

I use a laptop (Win10 Pro) with a second larger monitor. Both WorkShelf and NextStart edge bumps work fine *if* I establish focus on the laptop (primary monitor). If I am working on the second monitor, it will not respond to the mouse moving to the laptop screen edge to activate either WorkShelf or NextStart.

I have WorkShelf set to auto-hide and activate with screen edge bump on the Shelf properties, with a 300 ms delay to activate.

Is this normal behavior? What specifically must I do to activate either WorkShelf or NextStart without first establishing focus on the laptop monitor (ie single click on the laptop montior desktop)?

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Multiple Monitor Edge Bump Issue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm... that actually sounds more like something else to me: NextSTART and WorkShelf are both set to ignore edge bumps if they think a full screen application (such as a game) is running.

This is by design, so if you bump a screen edge or corner from inside a game you don't suddenly get taken back to the desktop because that caused an accidental hotspot or dock activation.

What happens if you open a *non*-full screen window in the larger monitor (say, Notepad), put focus on that, and then bump the screen edge on the laptop screen?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:52 am 

winstep wrote:
What happens if you open a *non*-full screen window in the larger monitor (say, Notepad), put focus on that, and then bump the screen edge on the laptop screen?

That's it, Jorge! If the window on the second monitor is NOT maximized, the edge bump on the laptop works fine.

Other than not maximizing a window on the second monitor, any ideas on how to make this work?

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
That's it, Jorge! If the window on the second monitor is NOT maximized, the edge bump on the laptop works fine.

Ah, but the thing now is: maximized windows are NOT full screen windows. Full screen windows are 'special'.

So, does this issue also happen with a maximized Explorer window on the second monitor? Or just with the 'maximized' window of a specific application you often use?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:43 am 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Ah, but the thing now is: maximized windows are NOT full screen windows. Full screen windows are 'special'.

So, does this issue also happen with a maximized Explorer window on the second monitor? Or just with the 'maximized' window of a specific application you often use?

In addition to Win10 File Explorer, I tested this with several programs I regularly use (each individually): Word, Excel, Notepad++, Directory Opus, Paint.Net, Firefox, and IE.

The issue only occurred with Firefox (latest 64-bit version) maximized. I tried it with Firefox in safe mode (all add-ins disabled) and still encountered the same problem.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:03 pm 

Chuck wrote:
The issue only occurred with Firefox (latest 64-bit version) maximized. I tried it with Firefox in safe mode (all add-ins disabled) and still encountered the same problem.

Are you maximizing Firefox by hitting <F11>? Because that makes Firefox full screen, not maximized.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
Are you maximizing Firefox by hitting <F11>? Because that makes Firefox full screen, not maximized.

What he said. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 pm 

vectornut wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Negative; just normally maximized window.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:

Screenshot or it didn't happen. :)

I also run FF 64 bit and edge bumps still work even when a FF window is maximized. I actually didn't know about the F11 trick, so kudos to Paul for it. :)

Chrome, on the other hand, is known to behave like a full screen window when maximized, which is why it has to be treated internally as a special case. However, as I said, I'm not seeing that with FF.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 am 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Screenshot or it didn't happen. :)

Not sure what to take a screenshot of...

Quote:
I'm not seeing that with FF.

I am, but can't nail down the issue. If it works for you, then something I'm sure something else must be causing the issue. I'll keep looking.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Not sure what to take a screenshot of...

lol. The Firefox maximized window, would like to look at it to make sure it really is a normal maximized window.

Since the Capture Desktop IC only captures the contents of the primary monitor, you will probably have to use the PRT SCR key and paste the contents of the Windows Clipboard into a paint program to get that screenshot.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Monitor Edge Bump Issue version 16.6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 pm 

Hi Jorge, I think I discovered a bug in the new version 16.6 regarding edge bump, but this is on a single monitor system. When taskbar is hidden (or set to auto-hide), and a UWP app window is maximized, edge bump does not work; it does not bring the dock to the front. However, for non-UWP apps that are maximized, edge bump DOES work in bringing the dock to the front. If taskbar is not hidden, edge bump works for both maximized UWP apps and non-UWP apps.

Post subject: Re: Monitor Edge Bump Issue version 16.6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dino7405 wrote:
When taskbar is hidden (or set to auto-hide), and a UWP app window is maximized, edge bump does not work

Oh crap! That's it.

Chuck, you're right too, sorry. When I maximized my FF window here to test what you were saying, I did it on my primary screen, which has the NextSTART taskbar.

I now did the same on a secondary screen (no taskbar, so he maximized FF window does indeed cover the whole screen there) and I managed to reproduce your findings (see how the devil is always in the details?).

It doesn't happen if instead of a FF maximized window I maximize Outlook, though.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:08 am 

Jorge, do I understand correctly that the issue is really about 64-bit app windows that are maximized with taskbar hidden (or set to auto-hide)? Are all UWP apps 64-bit? Just trying to understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, not at all.

This has to do with making the distinction between a *maximized* and a *full screen* application.

The distinction between the two is extremely important: full screen applications are usually things like games, for instance. You absolutely do not want to interrupt a gaming session because the user's mouse pointer accidentally bumped a screen edge or corner from within the game.

Basically a full screen application is like hanging a sign outside your hotel room door saying 'Do not disturb'.

A maximized window, on the other hand, is simply a convenient way to maximize the amount of information you're seeing in one go. You don't usually play games on maximized windows.

The problem is that there is nothing in the window itself that tells Winstep 'this is a full screen window' and 'this is a maximized window'. The two can be very similar, so you have to apply a set of rules to distinguish between one and the other, e.g.; maximized windows usually have a title bar.

Unfortunately some applications blur this line: Chrome, for instance. Even though it seems to show a titlebar when you maximize it, what you are seeing is not a REAL titlebar, but an application drawn pseudo-titlebar. Seen from the outside, a maximized Chrome window is actually a full screen application. Only it isn't, so you can't treat it as such - the user will get pissed if he can't invoke his dock while Chrome is maximized.

I haven't looked at what exactly is causing the maximized FF window to be mistaken with a full screen application, but I know why it doesn't happen when maximized on a monitor with a visible taskbar: because a full screen application *must* use the full screen area, and the FF maximized window doesn't if the taskbar is visible. It will, however, if the taskbar is set to auto-hide.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next