Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 10 Dark Theme Issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm 

Well, I'm back folks! As you noticed, I came back to cover for Jorge while he's on vacation and I'll take care of all the problems and do the development work until he gets back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It isn't even April Fool's Day, but I just couldn't resist!!

On a serious note, as some of you may have noticed, I've been away from the Winstep Forum (and the internet) for quite some time. Unfortunately, I've had an extremely bad year so far. Until recently, I've been a paragon of health, but suffered a couple of medical setbacks, one of which literally almost killed me. Out of sheer coincidence, Jorge is now on vacation. I read it on one of the threads.

If he isn't able to help, I'm hoping someone here can.

I'm new to Win 10 and now have a Win 10 PC and for some reason, the Win 10 OS Dark theme will work slightly on the dialog box that changes it, but won't work properly on Windows Explorer/folders.

I've searched around and saw some 3rd party stuff that seems too complicated to install, or requires tampering with the registry.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Dark Theme Issue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 am 

I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations.

I've only been using win 10 since the beginning of this year myself and quickly gave up on all that appearance stuff, so I'm afraid I'm of no help with your problem. Have you tried searching the Microsoft online help? (I know, tends to be next to useless usually....) Other than that, have you tried the MS forums?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Admin

As far as I know Win10 dark mode only affects UWP apps (and UWP Windows settings panels) not Win32 applications, so your Explorer windows will appear in the same boring white.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am 

nexter wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations

Thanks for your concern. I'm glad that I didn't become disabled. I hope you're dealing with it as best as possible.

winstep wrote:
As far as I know Win10 dark mode only affects UWP apps (and UWP Windows settings panels) not Win32 applications, so your Explorer windows will appear in the same boring white.

Well, after doing more extensive research, it turns out that there's nothing I can do until MS releases a new build/update that enables the full dark theme.

There is currently a build that does it, but it is only available to Windows Insider participants since May of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm 

Windy wrote:
nexter wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and all that and left disabled etc., so commiserations

Thanks for your concern. I'm glad that I didn't become disabled. I hope you're dealing with it as best as possible.

Have to. :) Thx. :) Hope you're fully recovered or if not fully then soon.
Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:

Well, after doing more extensive research, it turns out that there's nothing I can do until MS releases a new build/update that enables the full dark theme.

There is currently a build that does it, but it is only available to Windows Insider participants since May of this year.

Well, it won't be all that long then.... All that UWP etc. stuff really scares the hell out of me - ever less control for the user etc. - and besides, Win32 is a (im-?)perfectly good API so why can't they stick with it? Oh, I forget - more revenue, that's why. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]