Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Avoid this Popular Browser that Collects & Shares Your Data
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:22 pm 

Not cool. They say it's safer than IE, but at what cost?

https://www.komando.com/happening-now/5 ... 2019-07-28

Post subject: Re: Avoid this Popular Browser that Collects & Shares Your D
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:38 pm 

Windy wrote:
Not cool. They say it's safer than IE, but at what cost?

https://www.komando.com/happening-now/5 ... 2019-07-28

Ha, yeah, so what else is new? ;)

The only halfway safe ordinary browser is Firefox, and personally I don't even trust that (except if I have to download anything that's more than a few Meg). Switch to TOR Browser for most ordinary browsing for better security and privacy. (It's based on FF.) For even better security and privacy, get TAILS - a special 'live' version of Debian Linux on a USB stick. Or even better, remove Windows, install whatever flavour of Linux floats your boat, use TOR Browser there, and if you really need Windows, set it up in a VM, works a treat, and you can even prevent Windows connecting to the net except when *you* want it to. :)

We just can't trust Windows at all anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:56 pm 

I use Firefox. I only use Tor once in a blue moon. The reason is because it's slow as molasses. I also can't save my DuckDuckGo homepage settings in Tor.

Also, there are some sites that appear to either block Tor, or the site has issues with Tor because of the security settings.

Although Tor is a very secure browser, to me it isn't worth the trade-off for the speed and robust features of Firefox.

I only use Tor for certain sites when in doubt that my security settings in Firefox isn't sufficient enough to prevent tracking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:08 am 

I agree, TOR can be a bit slow, depending also on the site visited, and of course it's pretty hopeless with downloads, streaming and the like. Email can also be a PITA, as can any kind of sites that you log into - e.g., I regularly get 'chucked out' here every time the relays change. Personally, I prefer to put up with the inconveniences for the benefit of the increased security and esp. also privacy.

Can't say I've come across any sites yet that actively block TOR, but the bundled HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript can prevent some sites from being accessed. Also, sites have no way of knowing you're using TOR if you spoof your user agent data. E.g., right now I'm using TOR under Linux Mint (in a VM), based on FF 60.8 ESR, but UA data say Fedora and FF 67.0. :) A few minutes from now they might be MacOS X Safari xxx. And so on. Most times I use it from my multi-booted Debian or Fedora, or from the TAILS USB stick for even greater security (and absolutely no write access to discs).

Anyway, good to hear you're using TOR when in doubt at least - I take my hat off to you. And DuckDuck Go, too, great. The tech companies I trust the least are Apple and Google - and then all the social media and MS.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 4 posts ]