Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Pork & Cheese Custard Tarts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Was taken to a local supermarket the other day and to my surprise and delight discovered their bakery do Portuguese custard tarts. Taste, texture all fine, but sadly not kept warm, which is something of a cardinal sin I was once reliably informed. Always forget the proper pork 'n cheese name though, darn.

Speaking of P & C food matters, I know Portugal is about the biggest consumer of chilis in Europe, and having had a high-chili diet all my life and being a chili addict, I'm just curious if chilis in Portugal include Scotch Bonnet Peppers, just about the hottest of all and which is fundamental in our own cuisine. Could you shed any light on this Jorge?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Pork & Cheese Custard Tarts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those custard tarts you mention are exclusive from and extremely popular in Portugal, they're delicious and their native name is 'pastel de nata'. :) You can find them everywhere here in Portugal, ehehe

They can be eaten cold but usually taste even better when still warm. Some people like to add a bit of powder cinnamon on top just before eating them.

As for chilies, our food is normally very spicy and tasty, so we do like adding a bit of chilies - *in moderation* - that we call piri-piri (which are a kind of small pepper).

Personally I use piri-piri all the time when cooking (like just one small pepper is enough) just to give the food a bit of 'sharpness'. In restaurants you usually have a bottle of piri-piri sauce which you can - if you want - add to the food and is normally used in stuff like fried chicken, seafood rice, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Those custard tarts you mention are exclusive from and extremely popular in Portugal, they're delicious and their native name is 'pastel de nata'. :) You can find them everywhere here in Portugal, ehehe

They can be eaten cold but usually taste even better when still warm. Some people like to add a bit of powder cinnamon on top just before eating them.

Ah, yes, 'pastel de nata'! Thanks for refreshing my memory Jorge. When I lived in London there used to be a small Portuguese bakery where I'd get them, fresh out of the oven and still nice and hot when I got home. Out here in the country this was the first time I've come across them again.

Of course, we also have custard tarts here but very different. Ours use a different type of pastry, are eaten cold and sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg. Also, the custard itself is firm and completely set. Vive la Difference as the French say. :) I love anything with custard and custard with everything - fruit pies/tarts/crumbles, (English) puddings, almost anything sweet. :)
winstep wrote:
As for chilies, our food is normally very spicy and tasty, so we do like adding a bit of chilies - *in moderation* - that we call piri-piri (which are a kind of small pepper).

Ah yes, of course, I now remember, piri-piri peppers. Related to Jalepeno IIRC but with some real heat. I too like my food hot and spicy - very hot indeed. :) Also love my cocoa with chili - made with freshly grated cocoa balls (that I get sent straight from a cocoa grower), hot chili powder and a pinch of salt - that's the way indigenous Americans have drunk it since forever. And I used to make our own chocolate (90+ % pure cocoa - not cocoa solids and butter separate) from the cocoa balls, also with chili of course.
winstep wrote:
Personally I use piri-piri all the time when cooking (like just one small pepper is enough) just to give the food a bit of 'sharpness'. In restaurants you usually have a bottle of piri-piri sauce which you can - if you want - add to the food and is normally used in stuff like fried chicken, seafood rice, etc...

Yeah, I know that one, you can get it here. :) Very nice, actually, although not as hot as our own of course, but very tasty.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My birthday was earlier this month, so a restaurant reward program reminded me that I hadn't used my $20.00 off birthday special, which is due to expire on the 30th.

So, Dad and I went to Stanford's tonight. It's a nice seafood and steak restaurant. One of my all-time favorite desserts is crème brûlée (also known as burnt cream or Trinity cream), which they serve.

Attachment:
Creme Brulee at Stanfords.png
Creme Brulee at Stanfords.png [ 809.49 KiB | Viewed 24623 times ]

It seems like such a complex dessert just going by the taste and texture, but it's not very complicated. It's just a few ingredients and some time. Good stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks delicious too! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Creme Brulee isn't bad, not bad at all in fact. And belated congrats, Ric. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:22 am 

Hongkong egg tart has always been my favorite.
My dog loves the smell of it everytime I made some at home, and because I cannot feed him egg I just give him these dog bones as a treat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How wonderful. Both the pasteis de nata and the Hong Kong egg tart are in a new Binging with Babish video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ENkOF3fMQ

Both look delicious.

I also find Babish's humor delightful.

Last edited by DesertDwarf on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AHAHAHA, no wonder nobody else but the Portuguese make Pasteis de Nata, the recipe seems to be so complicated only rocket scientists can make them. :)

He was close, but no cigar, those don't look much like the pasteis de nata we get here. :)

Normally the cream has a tick 'burned' skin (which peels off from the cream when you eat it) but then the interior is completely 100% creamy, almost liquid. This contrasts with the pastry, which is flexible but thick and breaks apart when you squeeze it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm 

winstep wrote:

I love pastel de nata! It's is really a super tasty desert. When I visit my friend at his home in Portugal here every time I go to Manteigaria as this is the best place where they bake it in my opinion in Lisbon. So I buy around 10 of them and a cup of cofee and go to the shore of the river to sit there and enjoy it. Best 30 minutes always )))

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 10 posts ]