Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: 5400 VS 7200 RPM HD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:05 pm 

I have following choices for a laptop (for my wife):

1. Integrated graphics, 7200 rpm hard drive, 4 GB RAM (HP machine)

2. Graphics card w/1 GB, 5400 rpm hard drive, 6 GB RAM (Asus machine)

My wife uses the laptop mainly for Internet & e-mail, occasionally MS Word.

The price for both machines is $700. The Asus was advertised as a gaming
machine, but has been reduced in price drastically (at Best Buy) because the CPU is not the latest i3-i5 and the gamers want the latest.

MY QUESTION: should I go for the Asus despite the 5400 rpm hard drive
(keeping in mind what it will be used for).

When I do a Google, a lot of people talk as if the faster hard drive is a big plus (all other things being equal, which is not the case here).

Also, I suppose I could always upgrade the hard drive if needed (I assume that is possible with a laptop). The Asus just appears to be such a fabulous deal!!!

Thanks for any opinions. [De-linking these URLs that were edited in after the reply was written: "https : // 100001 . onl /" "https : // 1921681254 . mx /". -DD-Ric]

Last edited by HelsiBorlis on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 5400 VS 7200 RPM HD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

HelsiBorlis wrote:
I have following choices for a laptop (for my wife):

1. Integrated graphics, 7200 rpm hard drive, 4 GB RAM (HP machine)

2. Graphics card w/1 GB, 5400 rpm hard drive, 6 GB RAM (Asus machine)

My wife uses the laptop mainly for Internet & e-mail, occasionally MS Word.

The price for both machines is $700. The Asus was advertised as a gaming
machine, but has been reduced in price drastically (at Best Buy) because the CPU is not the latest i3-i5 and the gamers want the latest.

MY QUESTION: should I go for the Asus despite the 5400 rpm hard drive
(keeping in mind what it will be used for).

When I do a Google, a lot of people talk as if the faster hard drive is a big plus (all other things being equal, which is not the case here).

Also, I suppose I could always upgrade the hard drive if needed (I assume that is possible with a laptop). The Asus just appears to be such a fabulous deal!!!

Thanks for any opinions.

For what your wife will be using it there is very little to choose between the two machines. On balance though, I think I'd go with the HP.

Hard disks in a laptop can of course be upgraded, usually very simple and easy to do. Also, most laptops' RAM can be upgraded as they are rarely supplied maxed out. Though for what it's going to be used for, 8 GB or even just 4 GB should be ample, especially so if you install Linux instead of Windows.

And even the 5400 RPM drives can be more than nippy enough with the intended use.

HTH

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am 

Please write down all the other parameters, which processor, what size and type of drive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KayBur wrote:
Please write down all the other parameters, which processor, what size and type of drive.

It would appear that this user was spamming as a link to a website was edited in after my own reply, which was then edited out. And it's almost two weeks since the original post, making spam all the more likely. I may yet issue a ban on the user and delete the original post.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am 

Ahhh, now I see. Some strange story. Indeed, the question is formulated in an extremely strange way, there is very little specificity for comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]