Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: MS Delays Major Win10 Update Because of Blue Screen of Death
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:03 am 

This is typical of MS. At least for once they are trying to fix a problem the right way.

Many PC's have fallen victim to their inane updates and changes to their OS which are Win8 and Win10 which many of us view with contempt.

I'm very upset that MS prevented us from using a new hardware updated version of Win7 and forced us to buy Win10 if we want to have contemporary HD grahics such as 4k.

https://www.komando.com/happening-now/4 ... aking-bugs

Post subject: Re: MS Delays Major Win10 Update Because of Blue Screen of D
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
This is typical of MS. At least for once they are trying to fix a problem the right way.

Well, if you pardon the expression, 'shit happens'. And not only with MS. At least they have the honesty and decency to announce it (this time anyway) and fix it before unleashing the beast on an unsuspecting public.
Windy wrote:
Many PC's have fallen victim to their inane updates and changes to their OS which are Win8 and Win10 which many of us view with contempt.

Certainly the anecdotal evidence is there - I can't really comment only having come to Win10 earlier this year. But certainly, these seemingly interminable and possibly inane non-optional updates are a major PITA. They really should have kept things te way they were/are in Win7 - the user chooses what, when or even whether to download and update. One of the few improvements in 7 over XP. (A major one having been the 64bit version, way better in many ways than XP64.)
Windy wrote:
I'm very upset that MS prevented us from using a new hardware updated version of Win7 and forced us to buy Win10 if we want to have contemporary HD grahics such as 4k.

Well, be fair. Win7 is now nine years old. It's fast approaching its 'end of life' point. You can hardly expect such an old OS still to be made to support all the latest hardware, to be reasonable. Apart from Win10 on an up-to-date laptop, I also run XP and 7 on 12-year old AMD x2 64bit based hardware. Yes, I'd love to stick in a 4K HD GFX card, but while in theory I could do so, in practice there certainly won't even be any drivers from the card manufacturer. Nor would I expect there to be. I'm happy enough with the systems as is and make the best of them, and I'm quite comfortable with 1600x1200 res on 22" GFX CRT mon. - can't beat that anyway. (I just hope I'll never have to use an LCD screen there.) But, no, I really would not expect any majorly updates - let alone for hardware - for either XP (for which there still seem to be the odd security updates now and then, despite being past end of service) or 7. And I'm quite happy with that.

I am struck though by how much faster my AMD x2 WinXP and 7 sys seem than my Win10 i7 quad laptop, at least in re: many tasks. Not least things like file copying/moving/deleting, especially when it involves large numbers of files and very large, multi-GB (sometimes hundreds) files. Do., e.g., opening a 10GB photographic image (a large scan from a large, 10x8" tranny, in 48bit colour). And this cannot be due only to differences in internal hard disks - most of this involves external USB disks. Moreover, Win10 goes nuts in terms of CPU and RAM use, while under XP and 7 it's not even noticeable (except for RAM with large image files, obviously). So, one has to wonder, what accounts for this quite unlikely seeming performance difference - OS or AMD vs. Intel processor?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:02 am 

What is blue screen of Death?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

joyjoy8 wrote:

Assuming that is a serious question and you're not a bot, look HERE for a definition of a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

Can't remember the last time I saw one... until I bought a Razer Mamba TE mouse, that is. Their drivers are so well coded that the whole system crashes with a BSOD if I unplug the mouse.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
joyjoy8 wrote:

Can't remember the last time I saw one... until I bought a Razer Mamba TE mouse, that is. Their drivers are so well coded that the whole system crashes with a BSOD if I unplug the mouse.

Neither can I. When Win2K came along they already became very, very rare, and under XP I don't think I saw one more than perhaps a couple of times or so (if that!) and probably only in the first couple of years. NT3.5x was quite prone to them I remember. OS/2 was almost immune. Never happened with Nextstep/Openstep, or Solaris, or Irix. The old (pre-PPC) MacOS was quite prone to its equivalent. And of course, AmigaOS was prone to the occasional 'Guru Meditation', with certain utilities, but a quick reboot sorted that instantly. FreeBSD never did it, don't know about Linux, never ran it long enough nor BeOS or QNX. No idea about the few remaining OSs that run/ran on anything vaguely like a desktop computer.

One has to wonder though what enormous goof has had to be committed at MS to cause Win10 to BSoD! And will heads roll over it? ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am 

winstep wrote:
Can't remember the last time I saw one... until I bought a Razer Mamba TE mouse

nexter wrote:
Neither can I. When Win2K came along they already became very, very rare, and under XP I don't think I saw one more than perhaps a couple of times or so (if that!) and probably only in the first couple of years.

One has to wonder though what enormous goof has had to be committed at MS to cause Win10 to BSoD! And will heads roll over it? ;)

This is precisely why I shared this information. Sometimes I wonder if there are saboteurs working for MS. Their devolving OS since Win7 really makes me wonder. Why remove features and add stuff that make things worse?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:
Can't remember the last time I saw one... until I bought a Razer Mamba TE mouse

nexter wrote:
Neither can I. When Win2K came along they already became very, very rare, and under XP I don't think I saw one more than perhaps a couple of times or so (if that!) and probably only in the first couple of years.

This is precisely why I shared this information. Sometimes I wonder if there are saboteurs working for MS. Their devolving OS since Win7 really makes me wonder. Why remove features and add stuff that make things worse?

Frankly, I think the de-evolving began after XP. Vista was such a fiasco that they tried to bury it as quickly as possible. 7 was already several steps too far and in the wrong direction, although it does have a few good points, such as the way updates are handled (although MS's servers sometimes can be painfully slow when you have a whole heap of them because of a re-install. The Start menu has few good points over the XP one (though with XP at least you had the option of using the @Win Classic' menu and you could still easily re-arrange it any way you liked). One of the worst mistakes with 7 also was the almost non-existent appearance configurability, and in its place force users to buy into a third party app. Still, all in all Win7 is still infinitely preferable to this bloated pig of an OS that is Win10 with its twice-yearly major 'updates'. (Since the last one, my laptop takes longer to boot than my semi-antique XP/Win7 sys, and over all it's slowed down. Any slower and I might as well be using some ancient XP laptop with a P4 and 1Gig RAM! ;)
Windy wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You hit the proverbial nail. It's a cliché, but one of the best and most apt ones. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Frankly, I think the de-evolving began after XP. Vista was such a fiasco that they tried to bury it as quickly as possible. 7 was already several steps too far and in the wrong direction, although it does have a few good points, such as the way updates are handled (although MS's servers sometimes can be painfully slow when you have a whole heap of them because of a re-install. The Start menu has few good points over the XP one (though with XP at least you had the option of using the @Win Classic' menu and you could still easily re-arrange it any way you liked). One of the worst mistakes with 7 also was the almost non-existent appearance configurability, and in its place force users to buy into a third party app.

Vista was a fiasco, but not because it was a bad OS. Generally the same people that despise Vista also love 7, without understanding that if you love one then you also have to love the other (7 was just Vista SP1).

Vista was actually a much needed step in the right direction in terms of security and eye candy, but it had two major hurdles to overcome:

1. It was too different, too many changes at once, and broke too much stuff.

People are naturally resistant to change, so when Vista enforced the new UAC (and other) security restrictions they didn't like it. But things really HAD to change - under XP we all run as Admin, which is a security nightmare.

If Microsoft had not FORCED us all to stop doing this in Vista, we would still be doing it this way today, getting our systems p0wned left and right in the process (and complaining about Windows being like Swiss cheese).

The problem is that the way Microsoft enforced this security broke too many applications and drivers, and this is mainly where Vista got its bad rep from. Most applications (and all drivers) had to be re-written to work properly under Vista (Winstep applications included, and I still have a few articles about this time in the forums) but the problem was that when Vista first launched developers were simply NOT ready.

Over time users got used to the new way of doing things and developers re-wrote their applications to be compatible with the new security rules. This is why the release of 7 was a non-issue, all the initial teething problems had already been fixed during Vista, which was, in this way, a kind of 'sacrificial goat'.

Of course, this does not mean some of the decisions Microsoft made with Vista were not 'questionable' or couldn't have been handled better.

2. Microsoft was counting on Moore's law when it started working on Vista.

Let's agree one one thing: Vista was beautiful (or at the very least a lot more pleasing to the eye than that Fisher-Price mess that was XP). So much so that it literally killed WindowBlinds and marked the beginning of the end for most of the Windows customization apps.

All that eye candy required some serious RAM as well as CPU and GPU power though, but by the time Vista was ready to ship, Moore's law was no longer true and PCs were still not as powerful as Microsoft thought they would be by then.

This meant Vista run like a dog on slower systems with too little RAM or underpowered GPUs, another reason for the bad reputation it got. But on high(ish) end systems... whooohooo! it rocked! :)

I remember that re-writing a lot of stuff to make Winstep applications fully compatible with Vista was a hell of a lot of work and a very stressful time, mostly due to the lack of documentation (Microsoft is getting worse and worse at that) but, other than that, I also remember being very impressed with how Vista looked, in a positive way.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 8 posts ]