Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Funny News Headline (and funny police posting)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:08 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"Police say mom caused a scene and fought officers, her son got naked, and their dog stole cornbread at Walmart."

I saw the above headline on a local news site. That is one of the funniest headlines I've read in a while. So, I clicked the link that takes you to the original posting. Eau Claire is a town in Wisconsin. The Eau Claire Police Department wrote this:
Quote:
Last night shortly before 8:30pm Officers were called to Walmart for a retail theft in progress. They were told a female, and her dog had shoplifted items from the store. When Officers arrived at Walmart they found the female, Lisa Smith 46yo, screaming in the entryway and trying to catch her dog "Bo". They also learned that her son, Benny Vann 25yo, was in the store causing problems.

In trying to figure out what happened, Officers learned Smith had come into Walmart with her unleashed Dog "Bo." While Bo ran up to customers, Smith erratically started pulling apart store displays and placing them in her cart. She was asked to leave by staff and left the store to perform karate moves in the parking lot. In the meantime, Bo got a box of Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix and tried to leave the store. Smith was arrested and fought with Officers -- she also attempted to kick out a window on the squad car.

While this was occurring, Vann had made his way to the back of the store and removed all of his clothing exposing himself to other customers. Vann retrieved new clothing from the racks but did not purchase these items. When Officers approached Vann he refused to stop and attempted to run over an Officer with his scooter. Officers physically stopped the scooter and arrested Vann.

Smith was arrested for Disorderly Conduct, Resisting Arrest, and Misdemeanor Bail Jumping. Vann was arrested for Lewd and Lascivious Behavior, Disorderly Conduct and Retail Theft. Bo was caught by Officers in the store and brought to the Humane Association. The dog was not charged – we issued him a warning for the theft. :wink:

I couldn't help but think the Police Department could use this whole thing as a tongue-in-cheek recruiting story.

Original posting was shared publicly, so you shouldn't even need to login to Facebook to read it. And, if you're concerned about privacy (as I know some people are), load the page in a Private or Incognito mode of the browser if you care to read the original posting.

Post subject: Re: Funny News Headline (and funny police posting)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
"Police say mom caused a scene and fought officers, her son got naked, and their dog stole cornbread at Walmart."

I saw the above headline on a local news site....

Original posting was shared publicly, so you shouldn't even need to login to Facebook to read it. And, if you're concerned about privacy (as I know some people are), load the page in a Private or Incognito mode of the browser if you care to read the original posting.

It's very funny, in a bizarre kind of way, Ric. But it's also alarming. Alarming, because it seems so typically imbecilic middle-American (no offense intended) also. It is so absurd it could almost be a scene out of Monty Python, or perhaps out of Marty Feldman. And at the same time, it illustrates exactly how it could happen that some people would vote for a 4yo spoiled brat with temper tantrums for president. Oh brave new world, that hath such weird people in't. Sorry, I know perfectly well that the other half are more or less perfectly ordinary nice people with functional neurons betwixt their ears. :)

As for privacy, that's an area that's always bothered me. A lot. Hence I've taken measures esp. over the past year. (And will take even more extreme ones soon.)

Depending on how concerned you are about protecting your privacy, there are a number of options available. But first of all, forget the so-called 'incognito' mode of Chrome browser - it isn't. Not anything like it, not remotely. Learn the mantra, 'I can't trust Google, or any of the big Tech cos.! Ever!'

At base level, you could run TOR browser for all your browsing - it's available for Windows, macOS and Linux. Configure it well and you'll have as fair a level of privacy as it's possible to get in ordinary OS settings.

One level up, you could run 'TAILS' off a live USB stick. Do set a password so your base OS disks can't be accessed without that password, and fine-tune the TOR Browser. (This is actually a modified Firefox browser. Be aware though that due to the use of the TOR network downloads and streaming can be slow so you may still have to use your standard browser for that.) TAILS is based on Debian GNU/Linux and the UI presents no problems to Win or Mac users.

A further recommended step is to use private, encrypted anonymous email that's based in a very net-privacy aware country like Switzerland, Iceland, or even (at a push) Germany.

Next level up, don't use Windows (or Mac!) at all to go online, dual-boot a Linux distro for that. (Test drive a few on a live USB stick to see which suits you best. My own faves include Debian, Fedora, OpenMandriva, Manjaro,Mageia, Mint, OpenSUSE - not so keen on Ubuntu. Much more secure than Windows, and many now inc. a firewall - and if you're really paranoid you can get some of the standard Windows/Mac AV progs or you could choose from one or two free Linux ones - but to ensure privacy use TOR Browser as before. And furthermore, read up on and then use encryption in a big way - no, not the standard shite that comes with Windows. (You can get Linux encryption apps for Windows and Mac too, BTW.)
And of course stick with anon, encrypted etc, email services.

Alternatively, if you're using Windows 10 Pro 64 (or 8.1), you could do all the above in a Virtual Machine - just set up the excellent Hyper-V that comes with these versions if your hardware allows. You won't even see any noticeable performance hit. Apart from a mainstream Linux distro, you could also set up TAILS to run in a VM for added privacy. (Recommended minimum RAM = 8MB, 16+ better.)

For the ultimate in privacy and security, back up all your data, then wipe your system disk (giving it a good scrub with a secure deletion utility, and don't forget to do the free space as well). Sit back and enjoy a few days without being tied to the f*cking computer! LOL, no, well you could of course. But, next, set up Qubes OS with Whonix as root/host. Then, you can install all your favourite OSes and their apps and run them all on the same desktop, or using virtual desktops of course if you prefer. Combine with encryption, private encrypted email, and you're away. All external network activity is routed over the TOR network. The hypervisor is the industry-leading Xen, commercial versions of which are used in e.g. large-scale server virtualisation, cloud VMs and more.

There's an old version of Qubes available as a live USB stick - well worth checking out if it interests you at all. Gives a pretty good idea of how it all works etc. Granted, pretty it ain't, but neither is Windows or Mac. (Windows only gets 'prettified' - and more usable - with the use of Winstep Xtreme! Which Linux could use. preferably as a complete Desktop Environment.)

Well, there's a shed-load of options available if you you're concerned about your privacy. And you certainly should be! You should be alarmed about how your privacy is constantly being violated!

:Edit: PS - I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Monty Python! Do that, and there's Spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam! And not just in one forum - in General Discussion, too! :/ :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]