Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Windblows 10 20H2 + Latest Update - WTF!?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I had unfortunately logged into Win 10 last week and was bombarded with the latest update/s downloading and installing. As I didn't reboot when leaving Windows ('Update and Close') I didn't immediately see any differences, other than ever since 20H2 was forced on me a month or so ago Windblows blows a sodding storm in terms of memory, CPU, and bandwidth use when online. PITA in itself.

However, today again I had to log into the SOB of an OS and get online to check my Linux VM and email from there. Nasty surprise - that damn S-o-B presented me with another wholly unwanted addition to its taskbar, that super-stupid and surplus to requirements thing with weather, news, and all sorts of crap, eating more unnecessary RAM, CPU cycles, and bandwidth and further spying on me!

Anybody have any idea how to get rid of that barsteward? I'd guess probably impossible. :/

I wish MS had the decency to give you every damn option of what to install and what not, I mean, half the Windows partition is full of unwanted and unnecessary damn shite. They did in the good old days of NT 3.51 and NT4. And resources are an issue when you're running the beast on a laptop with a 5th gen i7 quad, maxed out 16MB RAM. It's been the only Windblows installation still in use here, multi-booting with 2 Linux OSes which are used most of the time and performing like a dream (plus a VM Linux system under Win that still is nippier than Win). Hell, Linux runs faster on my pretty old AMD X2 system than Win on the laptop, with minimal resource use.

Windows 10, your days as an independent OS are numbered, you're definitely being banished into a VM under Linux. Up with you I shall no longer put, to paraphrase old Winnie C. And I'll only let the bugger get online maybe when there are updates for Winstep. Other than Winstep, there are only 3 apps left that I use under Win, plus a few utils such as encryption, archiving, and file management. Although, even most of the last two take place under Linux.

/end rant! :)

:Edit: And, pardonnez moi mon Anglais, as the French would say. ;) :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Windblows 10 20H2 + Latest Update - WTF!?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:15 am 

Here are a couple of things that you can and should turn off. They are resource hogs and at least one of them is spying on you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/733390/how-to ... s-taskbar/

https://geeksadvice.com/fix-microsoft-c ... cpu-usage/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:13 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Here are a couple of things that you can and should turn off. They are resource hogs and at least one of them is spying on you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/733390/how-to ... s-taskbar/

https://geeksadvice.com/fix-microsoft-c ... cpu-usage/

Thanks a lot Windy, will check them out ASAP! :)

They're both spies, I'm sure. :|

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, the big day approaches fast now - that of Windows being banished forever to a VM under Ubuntu Linux. All is prepared and ready for the big move, only thing holding it back is that I'm still in the middle of testing a new battery in this laptop for about a week or so as the old one is now fast approaching its end of useful life (it served me well for 3 1/2 years of almost daily use).

When the day comes, it means I'll be absent online for about a week or two as I'm completely reformatting the hard disk and setting up Ubuntu, then Fedora, and finally, the Windblows VM under Ubuntu, making full use of the links that Windy kindly provided to cut at least some of the Win crap. Both the Ubuntu and Fedora systems will be fully encrypted, as previously, as will a small, shared data partition that just contains files as required for daily use, the main data being kept on an external disk.

Thus, I'm all set to disappear for a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Well, the big day approaches fast now - that of Windows being banished forever to a VM under Ubuntu Linux. All is prepared and ready for the big move, only thing holding it back is that I'm still in the middle of testing a new battery in this laptop for about a week or so as the old one is now fast approaching its end of useful life (it served me well for 3 1/2 years of almost daily use).

When the day comes, it means I'll be absent online for about a week or two as I'm completely reformatting the hard disk and setting up Ubuntu, then Fedora, and finally, the Windblows VM under Ubuntu, making full use of the links that Windy kindly provided to cut at least some of the Win crap. Both the Ubuntu and Fedora systems will be fully encrypted, as previously, as will a small, shared data partition that just contains files as required for daily use, the main data being kept on an external disk.

Thus, I'm all set to disappear for a bit.

New battery behaving weirdly. Going to test it further some other time and, after fully discharging (down to 2%) and then letting it have a full charge, shall revert to the old one for now so I can get on with the big move in the next few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New laptop battery proved to be a total dud, got an instant refund though. Trying to save money, as the 'official' replacement battery costs about £160! Not really on.

Anyway, "Day Zero" should be around this Sunday now. Just in Windblows now preparing to have Linux safe wipe all its partitions tomorrow. Then Fedora's in for the same, and Sunday-ish I hope to re-install Ubuntu after safe wiping it from the install stick.

Thus, I shall be offline for a bit from then on, at least until I've got Ubuntu fully and safely set up again, and Fedora's had a basic install so that I can check that grub, the Linux boot/multi-boot manager, is properly set up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
New laptop battery proved to be a total dud, got an instant refund though. Trying to save money, as the 'official' replacement battery costs about £160! Not really on.

Anyway, "Day Zero" should be around this Sunday now. Just in Windblows now preparing to have Linux safe wipe all its partitions tomorrow. Then Fedora's in for the same, and Sunday-ish I hope to re-install Ubuntu after safe wiping it from the install stick.

Thus, I shall be offline for a bit from then on, at least until I've got Ubuntu fully and safely set up again, and Fedora's had a basic install so that I can check that grub, the Linux boot/multi-boot manager, is properly set up.

"Day Zero" is now tomorrow - things have taken a bit longer than anticipated. And there's still Ubuntu to be 'secure-wiped' from stick. About 150-odd Gig left. Then delete all partitions and re-partition and format, inc. a small Win NTFS data partition shared between Ubuntu and Fedora, as well as with the VM with Win 10. Yawn...

OK, back ASAP folks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ubuntu now almost completely set up and functional but having to leave it at that for now - a bit like coitus interruptus one might say. :| ;) Hoping it'll be for just a few days, but having to "do a Jorge" ;) - i.e., vanish, for private reasons. L8rz.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:36 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, Win 10 is not playing nicely in a VM - threw half the threads of i7 quad at it and half of 16GB RAM, but it's a real pig. So have to re-install it independently and scrap everything and start all over again! Argh! Damn PITA, Windblows. Still, it was worth at least a try. Would have been nice not to have it as an independent OS. :|

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 9 posts ]