Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Classic Shell, A Blast From the Past That Enhances Your OS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:03 pm 

Classic Shell is a program that reverts your newer than XP Start Menu to how it was in XP.

The developer finally got tired of MS borking it with Win10 updates and stopped further development of Classic Shell. http://classicshell.net/

Fortunately, the program is so great that it withstood the breaking abilities of MS and is still going strong. There's also a link to the continued version done by development volunteers on GitHub under the name Open Shell on the page of the link I provided above.

I have not tried the Open Shell version since the Classic Shell version works so well for me.

Why MS didn't give users the option to keep it XP style is baffling to me. It's a far better way to navigate to where you need to go.

Here are the settings that I promised from a thread in the General Discussion forum. I didn't post the settings for Language because it's unnecessary.

Start Menu Style

Controls

Main Menu

Main Menu CONTINUED

General Behavior

Search Box

Menu Look

Skin-I Chose Metro

Start Button

Taskbar

Windows 10 Settings

Customize Start Menu

Context Menu

Sounds

Last edited by Windy on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Classic Shell, A Blast From the Past That Enhances Your
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thank you Windy, very comprehensive settings there. I'm sure that's going to be very useful for not only myself but others, too.

OpenShell looks like it's also worth having a go at, I think. At least, from what I gleaned on GitHub.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:07 pm 

I reviewed a number of utilities that looked to return the Start Menu to Windows 8 for an organisation with a reasonable number of desktops / laptops (in order to minimise disruption / training requirements) - these included Classic Shell, Start8 and Startisback (along with a couple of lesser known options).

I moved on before the upgrade was undertaken but had determined that Startisback (now Startisback++ for Windows 10) was a good fit. Indeed I purchased several copies for my own use, and it is the Startmenu on my home machines. $5 for a 5-user licence (lifetime updates). That was about 9yrs ago, its a bit more expensive now :D but still a great product!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 pm 

I corrected a couple of things I noticed recently and finally had time to fix.

I forgot to add the rest of the settings under Main Menu and is now added as Main Menu CONTINUED.

On one of the images, I had the incorrect heading. It now correctly reads Search Box instead of Settings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:01 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I corrected a couple of things I noticed recently and finally had time to fix.

I forgot to add the rest of the settings under Main Menu and is now added as Main Menu CONTINUED.

On one of the images, I had the incorrect heading. It now correctly reads Search Box instead of Settings.

Ooh, thanks Windy, good to know. I'll keep it in mind for when I can get around to setting my laptop up properly again and get the cursed Win 10 back on. At the moment I'm stuck with my main OSes Ubuntu and Fedora Linuxes only, which I'll have to get rid of again and reinstall after putting Win 10 back on as otherwise Windblows will really start huffing and blowing and muck everything up. :|

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]