Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Website Security Issues Etc. - WAS Re: Add Windows 10 Clock & A
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 pm 

nexter wrote:

I removed your link in the above as that website is a very nasty spy and could harvest e.g. your credit card details if you entered them in the current session, and so on.... :|

really? i have been using lightshot for years, even posted images via their site before, i moved on on my desktop but still use it on my lapto, and they even use it at work

:Moderator's note - Copying this post to "Off Topic", with reply there - nexter:

Post subject: Re: Add Windows 10 Clock & Agenda to Dock?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

I removed your link in the above as that website is a very nasty spy and could harvest e.g. your credit card details if you entered them in the current session, and so on.... :|

really? i have been using lightshot for years, even posted images via their site before, i moved on on my desktop but still use it on my lapto, and they even use it at work

Yep, really - alas! They literally "strip-mine" your browser for whatever data it holds, and f*** knows where your data end up. Fortunately, TOR browser stops that sort of thing and alerts you to it, although the same can also be achieved in Firefox, with the extension 'NoScript', and I also recommend 'HTTPS Everywhere'. Myself, I use TOR for about 90+% of my browsing, including here of course, and FF for the rest, all scripts banned and https only and all private windows only and no history of any kind etc. - basically, all hatches battened down as it were. At the bottom of it all I connect via the best and most secure and private VPN available, 'ProtonVPN', so try tracking down e.g. my ISP through that and the TOR network and you'll need a quantum computer the size of a small moon at present, especially when you use TOR web addresses. ;)

Really, web browsing simply is not safe any more and hasn't been for some considerable time. If you're using browsers such as IE, Edge, or any flavour of Chrome/Chromium-based, or Safari, your a*** is 'their's' - the data harvesters'.

Precisely the reason also why I almost never use Windows online but stick to Ubuntu and Fedora Linux. I only ever use secure encrypted email, and also encrypted messaging etc. apps, and only on my Linux systems.

Sadly, even current encryption won't be sufficient for much longer, we will need much, much stronger encryption everywhere, stronger by an order of several magnitudes, due especially to quantum computing. And that applies to all encryption, from web browsing to comms to drive and file encryption. AES 256 is almost nothing now, especially if you don't use complex passwords of about 128+ characters.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Website Security Issues Etc. - WAS Re: Add Windows 10 C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 pm 

thix, thanks for the heads up. what about https://getsharex.com ?
somone on here recomended it as a replacement for lightshot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
somone on here recomended it as a replacement for lightshot

Website seems harmless enough and seems to work fine with scripts banned. The app itself is free and open source, so that's certainly very much in its favour AFAIC. How good/useful it is you'll only discover once you're using it of course. :) But I certainly don't think there's anything to worry about security wise.

On the whole, I've become completely convinced by and converted to the free and open source software principle. All software should be like that, and of course in the Linux universe it generally is. (Free here does not necessarily mean free of cost, of course.) Generally, developers tend to do well out of it financially through sponsorship and donations, and often are actually employed by or under contract to e.g. the sponsors of Linux distros or the distros' maintainers.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:

I use and highly recommend it. They also don't do their own image hosting. If you wish, a captured screenshot can be uploaded to a ton of places, so you can pick your own "safe to use" destination. (Note: I'm not saying they are all safe, I'm just saying you can find one that is the safest option and use it.)

Here's the list of destinations that are built-in (fun fact: I used ShareX to capture a scrolling region inside of ShareX :-)):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 pm 

yes, i believe it was you that pointed me to it, i have been using it on my desktop, but hadnt made the switch on my laptop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
I use and highly recommend it. They also don't do their own image hosting. If you wish, a captured screenshot can be uploaded to a ton of places, so you can pick your own "safe to use" destination. (Note: I'm not saying they are all safe, I'm just saying you can find one that is the safest option and use it.)

Here's the list of destinations that are built-in (fun fact: I used ShareX to capture a scrolling region inside of ShareX :-)):

https://i.imgur.com/HiSxAya.png

Hey, good to see you back DD_Ric - been kind of concerned not seeing you around for a fortnight, what with the heatwave and wildfires etc. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]