Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Ltest Win 10 Updates & GFX Drivers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:31 am 

Geez. Pretty irritating. I have a Windows 10 net-top computer which is Atom based with nVidia ION. Screen is 1366x768.

I don't use it much, but when I installed Windows 10 on it, everything worked fine after I installed the nVidia drivers. I could play back 1080p H.264 just fine using DXVA. It was working fine as recently as a few weeks ago. However, all that I've done with it in the last few weeks is allowed it to install updates.

Today I decided to use it again and for some reason my video playback either wouldn't work at all (Windows Media Player), or else would be all stuttery (MPC-HC). Didn't know why. Then I found out the display driver was the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. Reinstalled the nVidia driver, and everything works fine again.

What gives? Why is Windows Update replacing the August 24, 2015 nVidia GeForce 341.81 display driver with a generic MS driver?

:Moderator's note - Spam signature removed & post split to its own thread. -nexter:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 1 post ]