Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 11 For Free, Should I Get it?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:18 am 

From what I’ve seen in the following articles, the answer at this point is no. It seems MS has a penchant for removing things that make the user experience better.

Unless they change the current iteration of what will be released next month, I’ll stick to 10. I still like the user experience of Win7 over all of their OS.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/08/2 ... -features/

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/07/2 ... not-happy/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622980 ... ws-11.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3623713 ... ehind.html

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 For Free, Should I Get it?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:14 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
From what I’ve seen in the following articles, the answer at this point is no. It seems MS has a penchant for removing things that make the user experience better.

Unless they change the current iteration of what will be released next month, I’ll stick to 10. I still like the user experience of Win7 over all of their OS.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/08/2 ... -features/

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/07/2 ... not-happy/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622980 ... ws-11.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3623713 ... ehind.html

Yup, couldn't agree with you more Windy. I won't touch Win 11 with a very, very long pole. Ever, I think. Win 7 was probably the best user experience of Windblows, I concur. That said, there were aspects of XP that I preferred, and overall it was simpler, or at least it felt so. In some ways NT4 was nice to use, too, and I especially liked its comparatively easy system and comprehensive (relatively!) GUI configurability. And then of course, about a year or so after NT4 came along (97, IIRC), I met a couple of guys online and Winstep germinated, so to say. :)

Of course, NT4 had one more advantage - it could run the OPENSTEP Enterprise apps (inc. my then fave GFX app, Tiffany from Caffeine Software - had some features I still miss!) and the entire developer environment. Alas, 'St. Steve' turned satanic and sold us Next users out completely by rejoining the rotten fruit and ruining Openstep to make it the new (crap) MacOS X, the barsteward. (ISTR WebObjects continued for a while....)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:51 pm 

nexter wrote:
Of course, NT4 had one more advantage - it could run the OPENSTEP Enterprise apps (inc. my then fave GFX app, Tiffany from Caffeine Software - had some features I still miss!) and the entire developer environment. Alas, 'St. Steve' turned satanic and sold us Next users out completely by rejoining the rotten fruit and ruining Openstep to make it the new (crap) MacOS X, the barsteward. (ISTR WebObjects continued for a while....)

Yep, you’re correct.

I was hoping that Windows 11 was going to be better than 10. Especially since I’ve had some thumbnail cache issues with 10.

I figured that installing 11 would wipe the corrupted files that I received either from a Windows or Intel update and it would be like wiping the drive, but without the worries of reinstalling everything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm 

Windy wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yep, you’re correct.

I was hoping that Windows 11 was going to be better than 10. Especially since I’ve had some thumbnail cache issues with 10.

I figured that installing 11 would wipe the corrupted files that I received either from a Windows or Intel update and it would be like wiping the drive, but without the worries of reinstalling everything.

Windows 11 is better than 10 by a long way including speed. Every person in the world that uses a Windows computer will have an opinion so the best test is - is it right for you? try it and find out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yep, you’re correct.

When it comes to Windows, I always favoured a clean install from scratch rather than upgrading. Linux, no problems, it always cleans up unused/outdated stuff, but Win always leaves all and any damn sh*t behind, no matter how much you try to clean it out. And since Win 7/8 it's become almost impossible to clean out almost anything, esp. since 10. Big piece of manure, and 11 only seems worse. (And no doubt indulges in even more 'data collecting' - profitable business model!)

No, don't trust the damn thing/MS. Consequently, I always used to do a low level format first (back in the day), then a format, delete that and re-partition, then format partitions. Then do a custom install. Then spend the next week or so configuring everything and finally installing apps. PITA, but at least things start with a clean slate that way.

Even though I'm having to set up Win 10 on the laptop again after all, this will be the last time and I shall definitely not go with Win 11 no matter what. (I still have a small Win 7 partition on another machine, which I mainly use for ultra high-res scanning as the drivers and software work better than under 10, but it never is allowed online any more. Neither is a tiny XP partition on the same machine, for running just two ancient apps that won't run on anything later.) So the need for Win 10 keeps on diminishing. And if I can find couple of tricks in The GIMP or Krita, I might even be able to get rid of Photoshop.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

AlanWade wrote:
Windy wrote:
Yep, you’re correct.

Windows 11 is better than 10 by a long way including speed. Every person in the world that uses a Windows computer will have an opinion so the best test is - is it right for you? try it and find out.

'Better' here is very much a matter of opinion. Looking at the various changes - mostly covered in the articles linked by Windy - certainly suggests otherwise. Not to mention the prospect of doubtlessly yet more means of spying. The only improvement I can see in Win 11 so far is that that blasted spy-bitch Cortana isn't enabled by default. Would have been even better to remove that crap altogether. Although I've disabled it here, to be extra safe I disable the built-in mic whenever I have to use Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 pm 

Does anyone need more convincing? https://www.komando.com/technology/wind ... 2021-10-11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:

Not that I needed convincing before, but this, and a load of other stuff I came across in recent weeks, should give anybody with an ounce of sense plenty more reasons at least to hold off "upgrading" to 11 for at least 2 or 3 years. What a pile of utter shite! Windblows really is getting worse as it goes along, at least after 7.

Of course, there isn't any chance of my ever going with Win 11. I'll stick for as long as I have to, which I hope won't be too much longer (maybe another 3 or 4 years, perhaps), using it as little as I have to and sticking with Linux for 80-90% of the time.

Anyway, what point is there still to Windows? We've already got the Linux sub-system and most Linux terminal stuff with Win 10, and it's looking like MS are copying Linux more and more with 11. So why don't they just give up on this heap of manure and become another Linux distro? :P Not, mind, that we need yet another distro - I very much share Linus Torvalds's sentiment that there are far too many already. Four or five 'flavours' of Linux ought to be more than enough for anyone, and a unitary desktop environment would make things a lot better still.

Any Windows (or for that matter, Mac) user who really wants an upgrade, I'd recommend upgrading to Linux. :P And that is completely free, in every sense! Free of spying on the user, for starters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 am 

Well, the MS app says my high-performance PC isn't up to snuff for the Windows 11 upgrade. The reason? Because my PC doesn't have Trusted Platform Module technology (TPM).

I spoke with MSI and they told me that soon there will be a bios update that will install TPM.

So after that, I'll gleefully install Windows 11...NOT!!!

Just for the heck of it, or if you want to upgrade, go here and install the PC Health Check app to see if your PC has the criteria to upgrade to 11.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 am 

Windy wrote:
Well, the MS app says my high-performance PC isn't up to snuff for the Windows 11 upgrade. The reason? Because my PC doesn't have Trusted Platform Module technology (TPM).

I spoke with MSI and they told me that soon there will be a bios update that will install TPM.

Just for the heck of it, or if you want to upgrade, go here and install the PC Health Check app to see if your PC has the criteria to upgrade to 11.

You can switch off the TPM requirement with a registry tweak - so don't let that stop you!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
Windy wrote:

You can switch off the TPM requirement with a registry tweak - so don't let that stop you!! :lol:

LOL! Well techlobo, I think Windy meant that he won't be installing Win 11 even when a BIOS (BIOS? Surely, UEFI?) update with TPM does become available. Or did I get it wrong and you actually do want to install the dreaded Win 11, Windy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:24 pm 

There's no way I'll install 11 unless they make some drastic changes. I'm pretty sure techlobo was just being jovial and poking fun at me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
There's no way I'll install 11 unless they make some drastic changes. I'm pretty sure techlobo was just being jovial and poking fun at me. :lol:

Yep, I'm sure he was, looking at it again after. :)

Knowing MS and especially Windows releases, their releases are what others would release as a public beta for a couple of years if not more. 8) As I'm needing an up-to-date Win version less and less, I'll never go near Win 11 myself. I reckon in the next couple of years I'll get to a point where I'll only still need two Win apps/drivers - the drivers for my high-end scanner and a very old GFX app that allows me to save both raster and vector GFX in the same file without having to merge them - an incredibly useful tool. Everything else I'll be able to handle purely under Linux. Then again, who knows, might yet be surprised and get proper support for my scanner and raster/vector saving under Linux! Until then, I'll keep a small Win 10 partition on the laptop (when I get round to installing it again) to be used almost entirely offline only, and later maybe a Win 7 partition on my near-state of the art Ryzen box for scanning but entirely offline only.

I put a very high value on my system security and privacy, that's why I use Win as little as possible, despite VPN and all connections going via the TOR network so nobody is getting any data off me. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 13 posts ]