Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Two Great Programs That Helped Work-around My PC Nightmare!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:41 am 

It took months of research for me to figure out what was going on with my CPU suddenly running high, (COM Surrogate) and Winstep locking up after booting into Windows, and after killing it in the Task Manager, it would happen again after I performed a drag-and-drop of a file into a folder on a dock.

MS took control of my PC many times, but they could not fix the problem. The CPU ran high and locked up Winstep after they ran a Windows Defender scan. I took it to a computer store, but they couldn’t fix it either.

What I found out to be the problem is a thumbnail cache issue and figured out a work-around for it. It was caused by an update from either Windows, Intel, or possibly a combination of both. At first, I just disabled thumbnail caching, but this was a no-go for me because all of my video files no longer had thumbnails.

I used a program I found called Icaros to help me figure out which file extensions were causing the problem and disabled them. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/icaros.html

However, in doing so, there were many video files that no longer had thumbnails. I searched for them, and also for the file extensions that were causing the thumbnail cache problem. .avi caused the biggest problem. I searched for the following extensions, .avi, .vob, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, and changed the file extensions to mkv using the program Everything. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

What's odd is that .vob, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, only had a handful of files that had no thumbnail. 99% of them have thumbnails.

The program Everything is excellent for this besides searching for files. You can batch change the file extension without renaming the files. So if there are multiple files with different file names, it doesn’t matter.

Only a few times I got a $ sign in the file name and that let me know there was something it didn’t like, so instead of changing 12 at once, I did less until I found which 1 or 2 was causing it to do that.

I also called and found out that Intel’s site for DL their drivers could have adverse effects on my PC because their drivers are generic and my PC is high-performance. I was told by them to uninstall their program and instead install MSI Center which is customized for my PC.

Post subject: Re: Two Great Programs That Helped Work-around My PC Nightma
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 am 

Here's the link to the developer of Icaros and info on the latest version which is the same version I posted via Major Geeks.
https://shark007.net/forum/Thread-New-R ... -2-1-Final

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 2 posts ]