Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Pop OS on a Surface Pro 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:33 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm tickled pink. I haven't played with Linux in probably 10 years. My elderly father upgraded from a Surface Pro 3 to a Chromebook, so I asked for his Surface Pro 3 to play around with.

I struggled with inputting my "real name" and "user name" as that part of the install process would not pop up the on-screen keyboard. I had an old 1byOne foldable keyboard that I haven't used in years, so I dug it up, plugged it in for power, and paired it with Pop OS and now I could finally type.

The install process finished without a hitch.

Setting up my Logitech M570 trackball just required installing the Solaar program, using that program to pair the trackball to a unifying receiver, and rebooting. Once rebooted, I was all set with trackball and keyboard.

Yay!

Post subject: Re: Pop OS on a Surface Pro 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ooh, Pop OS! Been meaning to have a look at that some time. Based on Ubuntu,made by a co. making Linux boxes etc. mainly to load onto their machines. Glad it all went without a hitch. Installing any Linux distro on almost any hardware is such a doddle, such a pleasant experience.

Hope you're having fun with it. Nothing like Linux really, you just can't beat it. Best user experience there is, IMO. I hate it when I have to use Windows occasinally - Winstep's the only thing that makes that bearable.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:03 pm 

I like pop os, I have been running manjaro.I do want to see gnome 42 in 22.0.4 LTS release of pop os. I think you will like pop os though. I just like Arch based distros.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:05 pm 

Try gnome extensions. You can customize so much with them. Linux is so easily customized. Blows windows out of the water for being a pretty OS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tickles wrote:
Try gnome extensions. You can customize so much with them. Linux is so easily customized. Blows windows out of the water for being a pretty OS.

Any Linux distro blows Windblows out of the water for anything, period. For starters, privacy and security. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:25 am 

nexter wrote:
Tickles wrote:

Any Linux distro blows Windblows out of the water for anything, period. For starters, privacy and security. :)

You know one thing that still amazes me, how windows still has so many issues with drivers. Even old ones that should not be a problem. How much better it is having drivers baked into the kernel. I am just coming back to windows and have had nothing but drover issues with older hardware. It baffles me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tickles wrote:
nexter wrote:

You know one thing that still amazes me, how windows still has so many issues with drivers. Even old ones that should not be a problem. How much better it is having drivers baked into the kernel. I am just coming back to windows and have had nothing but drover issues with older hardware. It baffles me.

Yeah, drivers can still be a major issue with Windows. I had to constantly battle issues with the drivers for my USB 3.2 PC card for my laptops which was a real pain. Remains to be seen if that continues when I finally do get around to installing Win 10 again. (No Windows at the moment. Hven't had a chance to do it for a variety of reasons, and as I'd fairly recently been given a - almost unused - Lenovo Thinkpad i5 dual core I've decided to banish Win 10 to a small partition on that, alongside Ubuntu as main OS, and another Win partition on my Ryzen desktop (needed for scanning), leaving the Thinkpad i7 quad core free as my main 'production' laptop with just Ubuntu and Fedora.

Scanner drivers + s/w however is one problem area with Linux also. I have to do a lot of high-res reflection-copy scanning and especially ultra-high res film scanning, but sadly there are no drivers for my scanners nor associated s/w available under Linux, although it's supposed to be under (proprietary) development.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 am 

I hope you're having a good time with it. There's nothing quite like Linux; it's unbeatable. IMO, the best user experience available. I despise using Windows on occasion, and Winstep is the one thing that makes it acceptableio games

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's pretty sluggish, though. But that's not Pop_OS!'s fault, it's the hardware, which is pretty weak.

I use it to handle a personal wiki, which I'm using as a journal.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 9 posts ]