Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus, Docks, Linux Etc....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:36 am 

:Moderator's note - I have moved this conversation to 'Off Topic' where it's more at home as it were. It started in this thread :
https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12145 -nexter/:

nexter wrote:
Tickles wrote:
I love docks and always have. All the docks on linux are not really current. They do work and there are some good ones. This though by far is one of the best. Just curious.

As Jorge said - not going to happen. :)

As docks go and as docks under Linux go, the Ubuntu one is probably the best of the bunch AFAIC, out of the ones I've encountered. As Ubuntu is my principal OS on all machines, I find it very useable and convenient - especially in combination with a good menu and a few applets (deskbar 'modules'). However.....

Actually, I'd like to see something far better even coming along under Linux. And that would be something more modern. The dock, when it was invented by NeXT, was a fantastic idea and a great metaphor for its time (the late 80s and early/mid 90s) and even well beyond. But today, it's an outdated concept AFAIC.

For instance, when I do manage to reinstall Win 10, I won't even set up another dock at all (except for testing), instead doing everything through the Nextstart taskbar and/or the shelf, plus a couple of Nextstart menus. The dock has become surplus to requirements. There's nothing the dock can do that can't also be done by the shelf or taskbar. It just wastes space. ;)

I'd like to see Linux develop a really modern Desktop Environment/GUI, rather than keep doing the same old same old as is happening at present. Something radically new.

Oh, and I think I should move this thread over to 'Off Topic', strictly speaking, but then again, there are Windblows related issues covered as well.... 8)

I have been using Cairo Dock and Latte Dock for my needs. Both great docks. I just did not like the docks with stock gnome or ubuntu.

Post subject: Re: Will we ever see nexus on linux?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:38 am 

nexter wrote:
Tickles wrote:
I love docks and always have. All the docks on linux are not really current. They do work and there are some good ones. This though by far is one of the best. Just curious.

As docks go and as docks under Linux go, the Ubuntu one is probably the best of the bunch AFAIC, out of the ones I've encountered. As Ubuntu is my principal OS on all machines, I find it very useable and convenient - especially in combination with a good menu and a few applets (deskbar 'modules'). However.....

Actually, I'd like to see something far better even coming along under Linux. And that would be something more modern. The dock, when it was invented by NeXT, was a fantastic idea and a great metaphor for its time (the late 80s and early/mid 90s) and even well beyond. But today, it's an outdated concept AFAIC.

For instance, when I do manage to reinstall Win 10, I won't even set up another dock at all (except for testing), instead doing everything through the Nextstart taskbar and/or the shelf, plus a couple of Nextstart menus. The dock has become surplus to requirements. There's nothing the dock can do that can't also be done by the shelf or taskbar. It just wastes space. ;)

I'd like to see Linux develop a really modern Desktop Environment/GUI, rather than keep doing the same old same old as is happening at present. Something radically new.

Oh, and I think I should move this thread over to 'Off Topic', strictly speaking, but then again, there are Windblows related issues covered as well.... 8)

Well Gnome 42 is headed the right direction. I do really love Gnome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tickles wrote:
nexter wrote:
Tickles wrote:

I have been using Cairo Dock and Latte Dock for my needs. Both great docks. I just did not like the docks with stock gnome or ubuntu.

Well, horses for courses, or, one man's meat is another's poison and all that.... :)

I tried Cairo dock (on another distro) long ago - you mean to say it's actually become useable then?

When all is said and done though, one has to acknowledge that Nexus is still - and always will be as there's no real competition left under Windows - the most comprehensive and versatile implementation of a dock. However, would I want to see it under Linux? Well, heck, no actually, because I want to see something really innovative and new under Linux. The time is over-ripe for a radical re-think in terms of GUI/Desktop Environment. We are beginning to have or see the kind of hardware that would make it possible.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tickles wrote:
nexter wrote:
Tickles wrote:

As Jorge said - not going to happen. :)....

.... I'd like to see Linux develop a really modern Desktop Environment/GUI, rather than keep doing the same old same old as is happening at present. Something radically new.

Well Gnome 42 is headed the right direction. I do really love Gnome.

Hmmmm..... I can't really see that, to be honest. Yes, when Gnome went to 3/3.x, it certainly differentiated itself from the rest of the pack but even now I still don't see real innovation there, and a lot of it is actually quite clumsy IMO. Take the Dash - need I say more?

Gnome is going its own way alright, but for my money it's still far from genuinely innovative and radical, nor is it going in the right direction. To my way of thinking, it's still just a re-hash of old concepts in new(-ish) clothes, I'm afraid.

That said however, I get along fine with Ubuntu's Gnome 3 adaptation (to resemble its original Unity GUI), with the addition of a decent menu and a number of extensions/modules, while avoiding the Dash altogether (except occasionally when accidentally pressing the 'Super' key!).

As for docks, well, every dock has its day to coin a phrase, and docks really have had their day. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Nexus, Docks, Linux Etc....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:02 pm 

Cairo is not bad at all, very light weight and never crashed or had any real issues. Tiling seems like the hip thing to use. I do like Pop Os and what the have done with gnome. Very stable being based off of ubuntu. I just really like gnome it's simplistic. Unlike KDE which is very nice and flashy just kind of over done in my mind. Dash is too basic for me. I need a little more flash. It is functional though.

Post subject: Re: Nexus, Docks, Linux Etc....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tickles wrote:
Cairo is not bad at all, very light weight and never crashed or had any real issues. Tiling seems like the hip thing to use. I do like Pop Os and what the have done with gnome. Very stable being based off of ubuntu. I just really like gnome it's simplistic. Unlike KDE which is very nice and flashy just kind of over done in my mind. Dash is too basic for me. I need a little more flash. It is functional though.

KDE would be just about the last DE I'd want to use. Totally OTT. Ghastly. Hated it way back in the day when it first raised its ugly head, and still do. <g>

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]