Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:54 pm 

'I Didn't Know You Cared' Looks good and is available on YouTube. I also checked out first two episodes of 'Hi Di Hi' It looks good too. I will need to try to find a complete download for it though. I also been watching 'On the Buses' and 'Don't Drink The Water' Funny stuff! Also saw a 1999-2001 Sitcom called 'Spaced' Simon Pegg is funny in it. I also am already needing more Storage again LOL! you think I can store my Tv show collection on Winsteps servers? LOL I am sure Jorge wont mind :P

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah, Spaced wasn't bad. There are a couple more I forgot. Most notably, a real classic from the '80s - Brushstrokes. And from the '70s, Citizen Smith, as well as Get Some In, both starring a young Robert Lindsay ('My Family'). Lindsay is also quite well known as a fine theatrical Shakespearean actor, and once, in a matinée performance starring as Richard III, he deliberately 'fluffed' the famous line "This is the winter of our discontent" as "This is the discount of our winter sale" - this as he'd gotten pissed off with people not paying attention and even falling asleep! That certainly woke the barstewards up! ;)

Oh, just remembered another couple of real oldies. Never Mind The Quality, Just Feel the Width, and Love Thy Neighbour. The first dates from the '60s IIRC, and the second from the 70's.

Better double up the additional storage you think you need. ;) Myself, I'm trying to reduce mine. Heck, I've got tons of data going back as far as the late '80s and Amiga and NeXT boxes days! Much of it no longer needed really, especially not actual system backups. Pathetic, isn't it!? I'll also need to drastically trim my CD collection, mostly jazz, classical and folk, of my jukebox' of ~1,000 albums stored as mostly 48bit wav files. And then there are a few dozen vinyl and cassette conversions as well. Argh!

You could always ask Jorge re: storing on his server, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the answer! :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 pm 

nexter wrote:
You could always ask Jorge re: storing on his server, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the answer! :P

Yeah I think I will skip asking Jorge that one LOL.
I also had to purge old data of systems past. Only thing I still have from the good old days is my first computer the Commodore 64 with both Commodore Datasette tape cassette drive and 1541 floppy disk drive. I few games written in Basic and programs. My music collection is not that big anymore mostly these days I grab music videos. Use to have way to much music that I did not even care for thanks to limewire LOL My video addiction though has ate up that space I freed 10 fold! For me I live in a small town, Only a few tv providers, all of which are a rip off! It is bad here. I get all media now online, my local news has an internet feed for news. I also go camping and fishing where there is no cell serves or wifi so I can bring my laptop and an external drive to cast to my tv and enjoy Last of the Summer Wine on the go! LOL
All the shows you recommended look great! I did watch some of Love Thy Neighbour in the past and forgot about it. Well I better just invest in some more spinning rust drives, I would like to get the new 18TB Seagate Dual Actuator sata drive. Level1 techs tested them and it can saturate its 6 Gb per second Sata link. Super fast spinning rust LOL But I have a felling the cost will be to high for me until they been on the market for a year or so. Plus I want to see how the drives hold up over time. Seagate drives in the past did not work out for me.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:32 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ooh, the good ol' C64! Amazing thing it was at the time. I started with Commodore too - the PET! Annoying thing it was - the all-in-one model anyway - especially the KB which started rubbing off almost straight away. It was shared with a friend so got perhaps more use than it was designed for.

The joys of the countryside. :) In it myself but have cable here (as well as terrestrial digital TV) which annoys the fuck out of me for having far too many channels mostly showing the same crap. Wouldn't swap the countryside for anything.

As for drives, I never buy any when they're too new but wait till another lot comes along and the ones I'm interested in come down in price. 18TB sounds pretty awesome, but personally I wouldn't trust something that big anyway and would prefer several smaller ones instead. Reduces the risk of data loss due to disk failure or faults. :) Also have always been a bit dubious about Seacrate drives - as they used to be commonly nicknamed in the past on account of reliability etc. - although they seem to have made big strides. Usually these days I tend to try and stick to WD.

On the comedy front, left out a very recent one - Upstart Crow. A kind of satirical take on The Bard. Wasn't quite my cup of tea but you might like it, give it a try anyway. It can be very funny at times.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:54 am 

nexter wrote:
On the comedy front, left out a very recent one - Upstart Crow. A kind of satirical take on The Bard. Wasn't quite my cup of tea but you might like it, give it a try anyway. It can be very funny at times.

Checked it out on YouTube looks like another one to add to the list! I also came across 'Duty Free' and 'Mind Your Language'.... Now if I can find the time to watch all the stuff I have downloaded! lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:

Checked it out on YouTube looks like another one to add to the list! I also came across 'Duty Free' and 'Mind Your Language'.... Now if I can find the time to watch all the stuff I have downloaded! lol

LOL! Time, and storage! ;)

Mind Your Language was funny in part, but it also sailed very close to the wind of condescension if not outright racism. But those were different days. Don't think anybody took it too seriously, on all sides. Duty Free I think I missed.

There are several more that I'm sure I missed mentioning. One that comes to mind is Ever Decreasing Circles, with the unforgettable Richard Briers (him of e.g. The Good Life). Highly recommended, that one. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:11 am 

nexter wrote:
There are several more that I'm sure I missed mentioning. One that comes to mind is Ever Decreasing Circles, with the unforgettable Richard Briers (him of e.g. The Good Life). Highly recommended, that one. :D

They both look good, I will have to hunt them down. Cheers!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:

They both look good, I will have to hunt them down. Cheers!

Oh crap! How could I have left out 'The Thin Blue Line' so far?! Stars 'Blackadder' Rowan Atkinson. And there are still more I must have left out, so more as and when I remember (and am not as ridiculously busy as ATM!).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:15 am 

nexter wrote:
Oh crap! How could I have left out 'The Thin Blue Line' so far?! Stars 'Blackadder' Rowan Atkinson. And there are still more I must have left out, so more as and when I remember (and am not as ridiculously busy as ATM!).

Yeah I got it already, great show! And Blackadder some Mr Bean and Bean movies..

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yeah I got it already, great show! And Blackadder some Mr Bean and Bean movies..

Some more I think I left out so far. Absolutely have to introduce you to The Bucket Woman - 'Keeping Up Appearances'. The most annoying, nay infuriating, woman on the planet! :D And there's 'To The Manor Born'. Not sure if we've had 'Yes Minister'/'Yes Prime Minister' - according to a friend of mine who was a top civil servant a remarkably realistic depiction of how things work in Whitehall!

Still infuriatingly busy ATM, alas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:48 pm 

I will have to track down 'To The Manor Born' that one is new to me. I have 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' but have not watched it yet. I also had, in the past 'Keeping Up Appearances' but have not been able to track it down to add it back to my collection. My computer died on Christmas day that was my gift for the holidays LOL. Turned out to be the power supply. I had payed extra and over spec it for my system to begin with when I built this computer. A Seasonic 1100 watt Platinum Prime. I tested there 12 year warranty (it was 5 years old) and no issue they replaced it no question asked and did not even ask for proof of purchase. So I am back up and running on my good pc and can get back to collecting TV shows LOL. Cheers!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
I will have to track down 'To The Manor Born' that one is new to me. I have 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' but have not watched it yet. I also had, in the past 'Keeping Up Appearances' but have not been able to track it down to add it back to my collection. My computer died on Christmas day that was my gift for the holidays LOL. Turned out to be the power supply. I had payed extra and over spec it for my system to begin with when I built this computer. A Seasonic 1100 watt Platinum Prime. I tested there 12 year warranty (it was 5 years old) and no issue they replaced it no question asked and did not even ask for proof of purchase. So I am back up and running on my good pc and can get back to collecting TV shows LOL. Cheers!

Argh! Bloody power supplies - right PITA. Glad you got it replaced without problem.

Don't know where my brain is these days! How could I possibly have left out 'Professor T'! A British version of a Flemish original, transplanted from Belgium to Cambridge, England, with the outstanding Ben Miller making a superb Prof T. Two series so far, which is all I have seen of the Flemish original also so far. It's just exquisite, both versions actually. (The Flemish one was shown with English subtitles here, although I managed to understand a fair bit of the dialogue as the language has some similarities to Old English.) The English version was made in association with the original producers so a perfect match.

Another one to look out for might be 'Gimme Gimme Gimme'. There's a bit of 'LGBT' crap occasionally, but it's quite funny all the same. There's a line by the female lead in one episode that is not only hilarious but happens to be quite apt - "There's no such thing as Bi[sexual], it's just greediness!" LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:20 am 

nexter wrote:
Don't know where my brain is these days! How could I possibly have left out 'Professor T'! !

I have 'Professor T' series 1&2 on the download now. I have already watched 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' in the past. I may add it to the collection if I find it too. I use to like red heads until I saw that one LOL...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:59 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
Don't know where my brain is these days! How could I possibly have left out 'Professor T'! !

I have 'Professor T' series 1&2 on the download now. I have already watched 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' in the past. I may add it to the collection if I find it too. I use to like red heads until I saw that one LOL...

LOL! Yes, quite a revolting character that one - almost as attractive as headbutting a speeding bus. ;) I guess that's the old Northman predilection for red heads resurfacing... ;) (Funny, in Iceland the female population seems to have roughly equal amounts of Celtic (Irish & Scottish) and Norse genes, whereas the males have overwhelmingly Norse genes - all coming back to the old Icelandic raiders' preference for taking red headed female slaves from Ireland and Scotland! :) )

Haven't had a chance to think of any other good sitcoms/comedy dramas lately that I might have missed, just too busy ATM to even think! :P Intending to watch the Flemish original and the English version of Professor T in tandem soon, have both recorded on cable box. Just deliciously funny. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3