Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Of note: Norton false positive
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
.... been using it for yonks (inc. the late Truecrypt).

Is "using it for yonks" the British equivalent to the Americans "Coon's age"? LOLImage
Love learning British slang, I started my journey as a young man with "Last of the summer wine" than moved on to "Top Gear"Image

Well, not sure what 'Coon's age' is intended to mean in turn. :) But I'll take a stab at it and guess the two are probably equivalent. I always rather suspected that 'yonks' was somehow a hypocorism for 'donkey's years', i.o.w., a very long time. Of course, I may be completely wrong. :D

Bleurghhh! Nora Batty and her wrinkled stockings! Too much, way too much. LOL! Some character, that old battle axe. :D Alas, died a few years ago. And Cleggy followed soon after. :( Mind you, for my liking that series dragged on much, much too long. I mean, it started in 1973 for goodness' sake.

For some very colourful British English slang, try 'Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps', if you haven't already. Some fairly 'blue' language there. :) And some outstanding acting performances, too.

Or, for an Irish flavour, and belly laughs galore, you could always seek out 'Father Ted' - a classic from the 1990s. :D

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:04 pm 

Yes I felt as if a lost a friend when Cleggy "Peter Sallis" passed away. But I think the passing of Compo "William John Owen" was the biggest loss to the show.

I had all 31 one series and specials plus the pilot "First of the summer wine" and the 2 series that followed. That collection was to large for me to back up at the time and I payed for it when I lost the disk drive it was on :cry: . Anyway I will have to see if I can find "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" you recommended. I also liked "Allo Allo", "Only Fools And Horses", "Fawlty Towers", and "Steptoe And Son" which we ripped off and called it "Sanford and Son". For Irish shows "Father Ted" was great and I enjoyed "Mrs Brown's Boys" Cheers!

Last edited by Williamsson on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:53 am 

Good news first series of "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" downloaded :) Cheers again!

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:05 am 

nexter wrote:
Somehow I've never really been able to get into much US sitcoms. 'Rhoda' is one of the few I remember as it was real good, and of course, Soap - so bad it was good! ;) And of course, an all-time favourite of mine, 'MASH' - which when it was originally shown here on the BBC was shown without the horrible canned laughter track. I adored that show. :)

I thought I would move this over here as I believe it is gone far off topic LOL
Soap is one of the best ever, I remember it was short lived as the network thought it was to racy even in a late night slot and pulled the plug on it lol. Rhoda was good too but Mash yes indeed legendary! I would put Hogan's Heroes, Mchale's Navy and Taxi on my top list as well. I am 4 episodes in on Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps it is Great so far! I also am up to 6 series of it downloaded with 3 more series of it to download. After that since the bug bit me, I will download "Open All Hours", "The Thin Blue Line", "The Young Ones", "Bottom", "Finding Joy" and "Derry Girls" LOL I like the old shows too I rarely get in to shows now days last one I got in to was "Game of Thrones" and "House of the Dragon" did not think I would get in to game of thrones series but I use to have dinner at my brothers house and he had me watch it and I must say it grew on me fast. Anyway Cheers!

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Sitcoms
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:30 pm 

nexter wrote:
originally shown here on the BBC was shown without the horrible canned laughter track.

It is funny you bring that up, that was the one thing I thought watching "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" is they do not need that in this show. It is plenty funny on its own!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
Somehow I've never really been able to get into much US sitcoms. 'Rhoda' is one of the few I remember as it was real good, and of course, Soap - so bad it was good! ;) And of course, an all-time favourite of mine, 'MASH' - which when it was originally shown here on the BBC was shown without the horrible canned laughter track. I adored that show. :)

I thought I would move this over here as I believe it is gone far off topic LOL
Soap is one of the best ever, I remember it was short lived as the network thought it was to racy even in a late night slot and pulled the plug on it lol. Rhoda was good too but Mash yes indeed legendary! I would put Hogan's Heroes, Mchale's Navy and Taxi on my top list as well. I am 4 episodes in on Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps it is Great so far! I also am up to 6 series of it downloaded with 3 more series of it to download. After that since the bug bit me, I will download "Open All Hours", "The Thin Blue Line", "The Young Ones", "Bottom", "Finding Joy" and "Derry Girls" LOL I like the old shows too I rarely get in to shows now days last one I got in to was "Game of Thrones" and "House of the Dragon" did not think I would get in to game of thrones series but I use to have dinner at my brothers house and he had me watch it and I must say it grew on me fast. Anyway Cheers!

Good move, I'd been playing with the idea of moving the previous couple of posts here myself and probably will do so now.

Soap was the most subversive thing ever to come out of the US since MASH and until The Simpsons and Family Guy and American Dad. Sheer genius actually, Soap. The spin-off 'Benson' was good stuff as well. And ISTR a series perhaps called 'Phyllis' (?) - about a middle-aged woman living in San Fran, IIRC. Of course, I also love the silent era stuff and after - Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, and Laurel and Hardy. Later, Jerry Lewis was very funny, too.

Much as I admired and liked the genius of Rik Mayall and also Ade Edmondson, Bottom - although funny in parts - was really a bit too far 'out there' for my liking. The Young Ones is a definite 'must' also. The Thin Blue Line is on my 'list' as well. Oh, and not forgetting the four series of 'Blackadder', real genius stuff!

One the whole, as the '90s progressed, just about everything started being terribly 'politically correct', and I tend to prefer older shows as well. I just hate all that 'PC' crap and 'identity politics', being a good ole' fashioned macho patriarchal man. There are a lot of really great shows from the '50s - '70s that you simply can't find anywhere - except a few in a very highly selectively edited form - simply because they don't fit in with the 'PC' concept!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
originally shown here on the BBC was shown without the horrible canned laughter track.

It is funny you bring that up, that was the one thing I thought watching "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" is they do not need that in this show. It is plenty funny on its own!

Yeah, canned laughter is just ghastly and unnecessary. The BBC has never used it - where there is laughter, it's a studio audience, which is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:32 pm 

Oh yes forgot about "Blackadder" Great stuff indeed! I liked "Family Guy" a lot but could not get in to "The Simpsons" Bart reminded me to much of my cousin a real pain in the a$$. American Dad was good too. When I was young PBS network would show some BBC shows like "Are you being served" and "Absolutely fabulous" They were pretty good shows too. I also liked "Black Books" more so for Manny (Bill Bailey) his stand up comedy is great. I just watched some of "My Family" it was ok had its moments. And yeah the whole "PC" movement is B.S. But I better not get started on that one LOL Cheers!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:43 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Oh yes forgot about "Blackadder" Great stuff indeed! I liked "Family Guy" a lot but could not get in to "The Simpsons" Bart reminded me to much of my cousin a real pain in the a$$. American Dad was good too. When I was young PBS network would show some BBC shows like "Are you being served" and "Absolutely fabulous" They were pretty good shows too. I also liked "Black Books" more so for Manny (Bill Bailey) his stand up comedy is great. I just watched some of "My Family" it was ok had its moments. And yeah the whole "PC" movement is B.S. But I better not get started on that one LOL Cheers!

Down with BS alright! ;) But let's not get overtly political, might get a few people heated. :| Next thing you know we'll be subjected to 'cancel culture'! :P

'I have a cunning plan....' and 'The funny thing is, I have a thingy that's shaped like a turnip' - immortal lines from Baldric, LOL! And who could forget Mrs. Slocombe and her pussy! ;) (Funny thing is, before Are You Being Served most people here hadn't a clue about the multiple meanings of 'pussy' and it just referred to a cat/pussycat - apart from people of West Indian origin/descent.) Ab Fab was not only funny but also quite subversive, and sometimes annoying. Yikes, who'd put up with a hyper-neurotic mother like Eddie and her equally hyper-neurotic bitch of a 'bestie' Patsy! LOL! My Family had some outstanding early performances by Kris Marshall, albeit as the extremely annoying idiot older son who one would totally understand if the father killed him. :D

KM incidentally went on - among other things - to become the 2nd Detective Inspector character in 'Death in Paradise' who could have been a master class in acting and who now also has a follow-on series set in Devon in England. DiP is a crime drama series set in a fictitious small Caribbean island (filmed in a corner or two of Guadaloupe) and is, I find, in about equal measure entertaining (and sometimes funny too) and infuriating. The latter because for one thing there are the mostly phoney West Indian accents, for another for the stereotypical portrayal as though there was any such thing as a single Caribbean culture and music, neither of which is true. Every island is different even within just the former British colonies, with its own culture, food, music, and so on. And you certainly do not find Voodoo anywhere outside of Haiti either! Ah well.... :/

Sitcom wise, I could also recommend The Good Life, Man About The House (made into 'Three's Company' across the pond), Till Death Do Us Part (if you can find it - extremely un-PC! Much more so than the US derivative, Alf something or other), Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, and The Vicar of Dibley. The latter is from the '90s and early '00s, and despite being somewhat subject to the PC stuff, extremely funny. It's about a woman vicar - at a time when they'd just been permitted - in a small rural village, played by Dawn French. Half of the characters are pretty much inbred! The late Emma Chambers' character of congenital idiot Alice Tinker is almost excruciatingly funny. At least in the original few series - in later episodes she'd had extensive cosmetic surgery and the writing had gone to pot, alas. There are so many good sitcoms really, as well as other kinds of comedy shows. Too many almost! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:50 am 

"Yes Minister", "Yes Prime Minister" and "The Vicar of Dibley" In my download que Image
I will have to go on the hunt for the other recommends. I will also have to pay up for Proton VPN pro the free version takes more time than I care for LOL And yes Kris Marshall was the only thing that kept me watching "My Family". "Dad's Army" and "Detectorists" looks interesting, what is your thoughts on them? I got a good list to work on. Now if I can find a source for "Last of the Summer Wine" I will be a happy camper at least the first 8 series or so! I salute your recommends!

Good news! I found Last of the summer wine all 31 series and specials!!
OK... Not good news at least for you LOL but for me..Image I forgot this whole time, I shared the collection with another guy for access too his media collection. He still had it and should only take me 7 hours to download LOL 120 plus GB but this time Ill have the disk space to back it up. Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Generally the free version of Proton VPN is pretty good, certainly faster than other free VPNs i had tried, but for big video D/Ls it does get a bit too much. A big advantage also of the paid version is that it supports streaming if that's your thing, you can combine it with running everything through the TOR network (which I sometimes make use of), and of course there's 'Secure Core' - fab system and still lightning fast here, doesn't really feel much slower than non-VPN connection. Plus it includes all other Proton apps! If you're not in a great hurry for it, you could wait for December when there'll be the usual discount offer - 2 years Proton Unlimited for almost half price!

Getting back to sitcoms, yes, Kris Marshall was the one thing that made MF worth watching, despite the otherwise superb rest of the main cast in the shape of Zoe Wannamaker and Robert Lindsay. How I could have forgotten to include Dad's Army is inexplicable to me! It's hilarious! Really extracts the urine out of the 'Gerries'/Nazis on occasion, and gently out of ourselves all of the time - the latter being a trademark of all the best British comedy.Some of the cast, particularly Clive Dunn/'Corporal Jones' the butcher, are a good bit younger than the characters they portray. Never had the time to watch Detectorists, sorry, though hoping to catch up with it eventually. Thing is generally I restrict myself to about 2 hours of TV a day.

There are quite a few others I ought to have mentioned really, perhaps another time.

Glad you've got the chance to get all your Summer Wine stuff again! :) But just 120+ Gig - must be some compressed format? On average, a standard definition 1/2 hour takes up around 1 Gig, FHD up to about 3 1/2, and 4K about 8-10 here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:54 am 

Oh yeah compressed indeed If I had it all in original format I would need to build a file server and buy a ton of hard drives with the video collection I already have. Plus my eyes are old so I do not notice the difference anyway LOL Cool I will have to get Dads Army Then. And yes Proton Paid is always better I just have had no need for it in the past year so I went the free with the free version. But if I am going to build up my video collection I will have to pay. Yet really I have almost got everything I been after already as Proton has been pretty good speed wise. I can only find season one of Death in paradise but I still got torrents which I will defiantly need paid proton for as p2p is not allowed on the free version. Well Cheers I think its time for a few episodes of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:18 am 

The collection is growing :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:45 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LOL! I'd put money on your eyes not being as old as mine! :P Mine are damn bad actually, with all kinds of problems. :|

Proton have been expanding their server capacity - at least for the paid version although I would imagine they'd also have upgraded the free capacity - quite significantly over the last six months or so. Haven't even seen anything approaching 100% load on any of my multitude of connections for a good while.

Death in Paradise Series 1 and 2 star Ben Miller - a brilliant comedian and character actor - as D.I. Richard Poole, a often infuriating but rather nice, straight-laced, deadpan, fairly old-school Englishman with the proverbial primrose stuck up his arse. ;) Kris Marshall takes over as D.I. Humphrey Goodman from Series 3 till near the end of Series 6, where Father Ted's 'Father Dougal' Ardal O'Hanlon takes over as D.I. Jack Mooney. He remains through to near the end of Series 9, when Two Pints' 'Jonny' Ralf Little takes over as D.I. Neville Parker, who seems firmly ensconced in the role. Series 12 was aired here in January, and it's scheduled to run until at least 2025. A brill regular core cast throughout really. It's one of the most popular shows here, and doing quite well in foreign sales as well.

Oh, before I forget, sitcoms! You might also enjoy The Royle Family, in some ways a frighteningly realistic portrayal of the fairly typical - esp. northern - British working class, also starring among others Ralf Little. And I can't possibly leave out One Foot In The Grave. The main character probably resembles me, only I'm the raised to the nth degree version. ;) If SciFi is your bag, a completely absurd and funny farcical SciFi comedy show called Red Dwarf is a classic in its own right.

I doubt you'll have much luck with some of the most outstandingly brilliant comedy shows from before the 'PC' era, or at any rate, before that forbade free speech and expression. All the same, try looking for Dave Allan ('Dave Allan At Large'), one of the great geniuses of stand-up - or, more precisely, sit-down in his case - comedy and short sketches. And The Dick Emery Show, another bloody genius. Both highly politically incorrect - delicious. :D

PS - Forgot this was still here and thought I'd posted earlier!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:25 pm 

Yes Royle Family is already in my collection and having seen a few episodes in the past it was a must one to grab! One foot in the grave I have seen a few episodes of it too, looks like Ill need to get it as well. Right now I am grabbing Happy Valley it is taking some time as it is a Blue ray rip 8 to 10gb an episode! I also got all of Dads Army (with specials and lost episodes), Dinnerladies, Man about the House, The good Life, Absolutely Fabulous and for the heck of it Are you being Served. Death in Paradise (on my friends server) has only the first series I will have to dig around to get more on it. I also forgot about Red Dwarf! I need to look for it! Till Death do us Part could not find so far, just a 2014 movie of the same name. I also still need to track down Allo Allo, Father Ted and Blackadder, I would like to add them back to the collection. I may also grab “Porridge”, “Some Mothers do ‘Ave ‘Em”, “Rising Damp” and “The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin” LOL Well that should keep me occupied for a bit! Cheers

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next