Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: WIndows 7 SP1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:02 am 

I'm interested in other users reaction to Win 7 SP1. For me, it was a horror story, so I backed out the update back to the RTM version.

First of all, every time I'd restart, it would bring up a dialog that said that I had new Intellitype drivers installed, and it was going to install the keyboard configuration software. Every flippin' time!

Next, no matter which browser I used, I could not complete a download. It would stop at between 92%-99% completion. It would time out and cease to function. I managed to find a work-around in Firefox by hitting 'pause' then 'continue'. That seemed to kick-start the download until it finished. On a large file, I might have to tickle it 4 or 5 times. Quite annoying.

I finally gave up and the first thing that happened under the RTM version was the Intellitype dialog came up again, but this time it went off and got the new drivers and the configuration software. At last, success.

I was curious to see if anyone else was having problems. I had the same problem on both of my PC's, the desktop[x86] and the laptop[x64].

Best of luck,
Grouch

Post subject: Re: WIndows 7 SP1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't help you there as I still haven't installed SP1 yet: still waiting to see if there are any horror stories.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Only issue I have on my laptop so far is that the software for the zboard fang would crash on Windows start-up.... Which is the reason I haven't installed SP1 on my desktop as I use the zboard fang a lot in gaming.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:08 pm 

Actually, I was beta testing the SP1 since October, on two (non-critical, obviously) machines, 32-bit Home and 64-bit Ultimate. No major horrors, just a few absurdities, as one may come to expect from Microsoft. The final SP1 is working fine here, 64-bit Enterprise, so far...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm 

grouch,

you do realize the leaked rtm and the final release version are one and the same, down to the last tiny bit of code, so this means you should of never run the final release. i will agree that there is a bug in it, because the final release should of stopped you from being able to install it or at minimum asked you to uninstall the rtm before installing the final release. installing the same code of something so large on top of itself most likely broke something. as for my opinion on sp1 simply fantastic. it fixed all the memory leaks that a lot of windows 7 users have been experiencing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 pm 

@krazdkiller,
By RTM I mean the original virgin edition of windows 7, not the leaked RC. I did the install by letting WU take control and download what it thought I needed. I will attempt to install from the full-blown 650MB installer, in case there was something that it missed.

Thanks,
Grouch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:51 pm 

it was the rtm that was leaked, and it was leaked by microsour themselves. just like all the leaks are. rather it be the final code for a new version of windows, or the final code for a service pack it is all leaked deliberately by microsour, so the version you are running is the same version released to windows update. i don't know what is going on with you two machines, wish i could help, but i do know the majority of people who have installed sp1 have not had any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 am 

@krazdkiller

I went to the download site at the following link and downloaded the proper package for my PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 9b77cdfdda

This was the full-blown package. I believe my original mistake was to install the package from Windows Update. Evidently there were some pieces not present in that method.

By downloading the full package, all of the pieces were there. What I got this time was the same as what you got by installing the pre-release you got.

At least I'm back in business again. I can download a file without it hanging before it completes.

Thanks,
Grouch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45 am 

grouch i'm not surprised. i have been waiting for microsour to do what they are famous for which is screw up. glad to hear everything worked out.

Last edited by ChuckysChild on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:14 am 

took some time to down load

Last edited by TravisMaynard on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:17 am 

Day 1 So far so good 64 bit pro. Day 2 starting to think there is a problem with my firefox and IE 9 now when I type in facebook I lose my typing hyphen I have to refresh all the time. Ill post more when I find out what is going on. Ok im back so I ended up removing sp1 glade I had a image of my OS before I did that install, now it all works fine. Bravo Microsoft once again you take a good OS and mess it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 11 posts ]