Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Brazil Nightclub Fire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 am 

OMG!!! I just came home and heard the horrifying news. At least 230 dead in a fire at a Brazilian nightclub. :cry:

Jorge, I hope you weren't anywhere near that disaster and also that none of your loved ones where there either.

Post subject: Re: Brazil Nightclub Fire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, thanks for you concern and it was indeed a huge tragedy, but considering I live in Portugal (about 4,500 miles away from Brazil) chances of me or anyone I know being in that nightclub on that particular night would be really, really, slim. :wink:

As usual, a tragedy occurring from having a lot more people enclosed in the same space than maximum capacity would allow (2,000 people attended, double of the maximum capacity of 1,000), using pyrotechnic materials in an enclosed space, no fire-retardant materials, and lack of properly signaled Emergency Exits (some people run into the bathroom doors thinking they were emergency exits and got trapped there).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am 

winstep wrote:
Well, thanks for you concern and it was indeed a huge tragedy, but considering I live in Portugal (about 4,500 miles away from Brazil) chances of me or anyone I know being in that nightclub on that particular night would be really, really, slim. :wink:

Whew!! That's great news!

winstep wrote:
As usual, a tragedy occurring from having a lot more people enclosed in the same space than maximum capacity would allow (2,000 people attended, double of the maximum capacity of 1,000), using pyrotechnic materials in an enclosed space, no fire-retardant materials, and lack of properly signaled Emergency Exits (some people run into the bathroom doors thinking they were emergency exits and got trapped there).

Yeah, I remember an almost identical incident happened here in the U.S.A in 2003. The only difference was that the amount of people killed was about one hundred and not in the three hundreds as in the Brazilian fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 pm 

actually it's surprising the south american countries don't have far, far more of these types of fires. it's tragic yes, but considering most clubs in countries down there allow well over the maximum by rights there should be far more club fires than there are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 am 

Hey Uvah, I'm a Wincustomizonian also! Glad to see you found your way here! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 5 posts ]