Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Useful Keyboard Shortcuts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm 

This is another video via Kim Komando that has some useful keyboard shortcuts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1x9ce1oOaU

Skagon, this one you should be interested in. There's a piece of trivia at the beginning that I'm curious to know if you were aware of.

Post subject: Re: Useful Keyboard Shortcuts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:57 am 

Of course I was, mate. That's elementary. :D
Actually, there are more shortcuts that I use, that she didn't mention. And I don't use any "Windows key" plus "whatever"... simply because my keyboard is a modified Apple and I don't have a "Windows key", nor do I want one.
However, there are remnant keyboard shortcuts from before Windows copied Apple's, so:
Ctrl+Ins = Copy
Shift+Del = Cut
Shift+Ins = Paste
in any context where Cut/Copy/Paste are applicable; text or even files in the Windows Explorer.
Speaking of Windows Explorer:
Shift+Del => permanently delete, bypassing the idiotic "recycle bin"
Anywhere you are:
Ctrl+Esc => Start menu
Also, while PrtScr (a.k.a. Print Screen) will take a screenshot of the entire screen (or even screens) and put the bitmap in the clipboard:
Alt+PrtScr => screenshot of the active window ONLY
...and... a remnant from Windows 3 or even earlier, can't remember that far back:
Alt+[spacebar] => active window's control menu
...from there, you can minimise the window by just pressing "N" or move the window with the arrow keys, after pressing "M" -- very useful when your window has accidentally moved out of the visible area.
...and of course, the rest of the usual suspects, like:
Alt+F,S = Save
Alt+F,A = Save as (usually)
Alt+F,O = Open (same as Ctrl+O in most cases)
Alt+F,X = Exit
Another remnant from days of old:
F6 = cycle "active" through different "panes" in a programme; now also used on the desktop, to cycle through start button, taskbar, tray and desktop icons
And last but not least:
Shift+F10 = shows the right-click menu on the item that's got focus

...if I remember anything else, I'll let you know.
;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 pm 

The fact she brought up Star Trek trivia makes her even more bad-ass or ("commando" :lol: ) as far as I'm concerned. Skagon, you must really be in love with her now. :lol: :lol:

I'm a little confused about your keyboard. Are you using it on a Windows PC?

skagon wrote:
Speaking of Windows Explorer:
Shift+Del => permanently delete, bypassing the idiotic "recycle bin"

Well I have two reasons to love that "idiotic" option. :lol:

1. Of course is because of Winstep Xtreme. The recycle bin module I have is awesome, to me anyway. One can see it in action on my video. When there's something in it, the garbage can lid automatically becomes partially open. When emptied the lid is fully closed and makes a cool noise.

2. In case something is accidentally deleted it isn't gone forever.

skagon wrote:
Anywhere you are:
Ctrl+Esc => Start menu
Also, while PrtScr (a.k.a. Print Screen) will take a screenshot of the entire screen (or even screens) and put the bitmap in the clipboard:
Alt+PrtScr => screenshot of the active window ONLY

I use Screen Capturer. http://screencapturer.com/ I told you about it quite some time ago and you said you liked it. Do you still use it? It's an awesome program. It can also be used to make tutorials etc. It's what I used for my videos. I have it set to activate when I press Print Screen (or for some keyboards Prt/Scr or something close to that).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:37 pm 

Windy wrote:
The fact she brought up Star Trek trivia makes her even more bad-ass or ("commando" :lol: ) as far as I'm concerned. Skagon, you must really be in love with her now. :lol: :lol:

I'm a little confused about your keyboard. Are you using it on a Windows PC?

Well I have two reasons to love that "idiotic" option. :lol:

1. Of course is because of Winstep Xtreme. The recycle bin module I have is awesome, to me anyway. One can see it in action on my video. When there's something in it, the garbage can lid automatically becomes partially open. When emptied the lid is fully closed and makes a cool noise.

2. In case something is accidentally deleted it isn't gone forever.

I use Screen Capturer. http://screencapturer.com/ I told you about it quite some time ago and you said you liked it. Do you still use it? It's an awesome program. It can also be used to make tutorials etc. It's what I used for my videos. I have it set to activate when I press Print Screen (or for some keyboards Prt/Scr or something close to that).

Well... she's a bit too old for my taste. I bet 15 years ago, though... ;)

About my keyboard, yes, I use it on a Windows PC. It's this one:Image

It's USB, it functions exactly as any normal keyboard, as far as everything else is concerned, except the "option" and "command" keys are taking the functions of the "alt" and "windows" keys (and they're in reverse order on the keyboard). It's also got an F13 key (above the backspace), and also volume up/down/mute keys and an eject key above the numpad. However, I have heavily tweaked it through the registry (something I can show you how to do very easily) and I've returned the "alt" keys to the "command" (next to space) keys (with the right being an "AltGr" key for extra characters, reassigned "Caps Lock" to be F13, reassigned F13 to be "Caps Lock", and finally reassigned left and right "option" keys to be F14 and F15 respectively.
[Note: for the record, the USB HID keyboard spec includes Function keys up to F30 or thereabouts, so F13, 14, 15 etc. are perfectly legitimate.]
Now, I can customise those F13, 14 and 15 keys to do whatever I want on any application. However, you will have noticed that I have not reassigned "Windows" keys anywhere. Useless... never used them anyway; I had always had a 101-key keyboard, so I never use them even when they're there.
And while the audio volume keys work out of the box, the "Eject" didn't, so I created a tiny little resident proggie that actually ejects the CD/DVD tray and if it's already open, it retracts it. Also, if you press Ctrl+Eject, I've made that same proggie to display a screen asking you if you want to shutdown, reboot, sleep, log out or lock the computer, with a nice little timer as well. So now, I have a nice way of doing shutdowns or restarts without bothering with the Start menu. Very unlikely to do it by accident as well.

Recycle bin: well, I learned PCs in DOS. I'm used to that. When I want to delete a file, it means, I WANT TO DELETE THE FILE! You can't press Shift+Del by accident. At least, I (almost) never have. You get a confirmation dialogue anyway, so you can cancel. With the recycle bin, I used to delete files and immediately go to the recycle bin and empty it all the time. That was on Windows 95, before I knew the Shift-Del trick. Or, I'd delete files and then forget all about the Recycle Bin so I was wondering why my hard drive never got free space. So, I have disabled all "Recycle Bins" and I never looked back.

Screen capturer: I only used it for video captures. I don't see the point having a separate programme for screenshots, when Windows can do the same automatically. Why waste memory space and CPU cycles, for something that's already there? It does not compute. :P

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:03 am 

skagon wrote:
Screen capturer: I only used it for video captures. I don't see the point having a separate programme for screenshots, when Windows can do the same automatically. Why waste memory space and CPU cycles, for something that's already there? It does not compute. :P

Ah my friend, that means you haven't realized the full functionality and power of the Death Star...I mean Screen Capturer. :lol: The two things it does that makes it worth its weight in gold is that:

1. it has the capability to take a screenshot of any particular spot without having to edit it. Lets say you only want to take a 1 inch (more or less) shot of a certain spot on your desktop or webpage. Just click on Region after it's open and then click Capture. Of course make sure Image File is selected near the bottom. Crosshairs will appear and you can drag and release to your liking to save the screenshot. Try it!

2. It can do the same with pics on the web that cannot be saved to a computer. This is the one feature that is icing on the cake! Believe me, it has made me one happy camper numerous times.

3. It can capture video on the web that cannot be saved to a computer albeit the quality won't be as good as if it were able to be saved.

P.S. Couldn't resist the Star Wars reference. It just popped into my head as I was typing. Don't know how many of you are Star Wars fans as well as Star Trek. :D

P.P.S. While I'm at it, for fans of either one or both, a must see DVD is the original Buck Rogers released in 1939. I might make a thread on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:16 am 

Windy wrote:
1. it has the capability to take a screenshot of any particular spot without having to edit it. Lets say you only want to take a 1 inch (more or less) shot of a certain spot on your desktop or webpage. Just click on Region after it's open and then click Capture. Of course make sure Image File is selected near the bottom. Crosshairs will appear and you can drag and release to your liking to save the screenshot. Try it!

I've tried it, mate, but I still don't have the need for it. Whenever I've needed screenshots of something, I've always had PaintShop Pro open, so I just take a full-screen shot and then crop through PSP. I find it more useful to get an accurate screenshot and then crop to liking -- with an option to undo and re-select the crop region -- rather than have to re-set the screenshot target (windows, positions, etc) and re-do a "region" shot.
Besides, I don't take screenshots *that* often that I'd need a special programme running all the time. Like I said, Windows on its own can do a full-screen shot as well as an active window shot without needing a special programme running. I don't see why I'd have it running in the background 24/7, so that I can use it *maybe* once a month.

Windy wrote:
2. It can do the same with pics on the web that cannot be saved to a computer. This is the one feature that is icing on the cake! Believe me, it has made me one happy camper numerous times.

3. It can capture video on the web that cannot be saved to a computer albeit the quality won't be as good as if it were able to be saved.

I have almost never come across a pic or video on the web that cannot be saved.
If you are a bit knowledgeable on HTML and CSS, get AdBlock Plus and also "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus". You can then very easily hide away all the overlaying elements that make images seem "unsaveable".
If you're more knowledgeable on HTML, you don't even need that; all you need is right-click Q (in Firefox). The Element Inspector can show you what's not allowing you to save an image but also the image itself.
Third option (Firefox): right-click, "View Page Info", then "Media" tab (no plug-in or add-on required). You have all the media files included on any webpage, listed and saveable.

Windy wrote:
P.S. Couldn't resist the Star Wars reference. It just popped into my head as I was typing. Don't know how many of you are Star Wars fans as well as Star Trek. :D

P.P.S. While I'm at it, for fans of either one or both, a must see DVD is the original Buck Rogers released in 1939. I might make a thread on it.

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of Star Wars, but I enjoy it just fine. I like a good lightsabre fight and "the Force" as much as anyone, but I really get annoyed with all the silly creatures, especially in the "prequels" and especially in the first two of them.
I strongly believe that, if Lucas had any brains, instead of re-mastering and re-making them over and over, he should make a "serious" director's cut or re-make, removing most of the idiotic elements -- like Jar-Jar (or whatever the fμ©k its name is) or the wookies or Jabba and his equally idiotic group of stupid creatures -- completely get rid of the annoying kids and especially the infant version of Anakin, and he'd have a killer, dark, serious, powerful sci-fi movie universe in his hands. And please, drop those "midichlorians" or whatever... let the Force be the Force and STFU about it already!!!
There. Rant over. I'll check out the Buck Rogers though. Don't think I've seen the 1939 one...

For the record, Star Trek and Star Wars fans are rarely compatible. You see, Star Trek is a LOT more "scientific", everything has an explanation, a reason, a solution. Star Wars, on the other hand, has always been more "simple". It doesn't care to be "serious", nor does it try to explain every tiny detail with scientific terms (at least, until the midichlorians).
Fans of Trek don't usually like Wars, ranging from mild annoyance down to downright hatred, and vice versa. However, I should note that Star Wars fans hate Star Trek a lot more than the opposite. Star Wars is a lot easier to watch, when you're not a big Sci-Fi fan. Star Trek, with all its science, techno-babble, convoluted explanations as to why or why not this gimmick cannot be used to solve that problem, or why this cosmic phenomenon behaves 'this' way and not 'that' way... that puts off people who just want to watch a movie without needing a PhD in astrophysics, or at least a very solid background on science fiction (and some knowledge in sciences). So, Star Wars fans are not as "hard core" sci-fi fans (generally speaking) and Star Trek is an overload for them. On the other side, Trek fans who are used to everything being explained, founded, logical and "scientific" get annoyed with the Star Wars universe being completely "childish" and "un-scientific". Silly robots, even sillier creatures, things not conforming to any known law in physics... well, I guess you get the point.

P.S.
Having said all that, Star Trek, in all its scientific righteousness, has left all the telepathy and telekinesis in the "scientifically unexplained" realm. It's had its fair share of telepathy and some telekinesis episodes (which could be compared to the "Force"), but on every occasion they've left it out of the scientifically analysable category. Instead, they're always saying "telepathy cannot be detected by our sensors" or "we do not know the exact origin of telekinesis" or something like that. In effect, they've left the mystery intact.
Star Wars, on the other hand, in all its craziness, has actually done it; they've tried to provide a sci-fi-entific explanation to the Force. And from what I heard, fans didn't like that one bit...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 am 

Thanks for the pointers on identifying "unsaveable" files. I'll try the procedures when I get some time.

As far as the Star Trek Star Wars thing, you had me rolling! As I've said before, you have a way with words. :lol:

I guess I'm one of that rare breed along with a few of my friends that enjoy both equally. I agree with you on the child version of Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader.

I also agree with you about there being too much with the damn creatures. I didn't like the stupid bar scene everyone went crazy about, and the stupid Ewoks.

The worst of all the creatures which I absolutely despise is Jar-Jar Binks. I cannot stand to look at it or even worse the voice. It's one of the most irritating things on the planet! I mean our real earth not movie earth.

With all of that said, there are some that I actually like or at least doesn't bother me. I like Chwebacca because Wookies are supposed to be fairly intelligent and he does have personality. His interaction with Han Solo at times can be entertaining.

I absolutely love Salacious B. Crumb! http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Salacious_B._Crumb I don't know why, but I just found him to be funny and like the way he looks. All he did was laugh, but I love that laugh! He was Jabba's Court Jester in Return Of the Jedi and unfortunately never returned. BTW, the link I provided of Crumb has a "unsaveable" image of him.

I don't mind the robots at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]