Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 For Free? Should I Get It?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 pm 

Quote:
make it look like 7? Didn't you learn your lesson after 8?

Quite simply, because I find that win8 and now win 10 are faster, smoother and more reliable. I liked win 7, but with just a few mins work, can have the operating benefits and the look I want on my machine.
Everyone has a different reason and expectations for their machine, no one OS will fit all.
Take the best bits from the new, but keep what I am happy with is my way

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:29 am 

Please post a direct link (s) to where the instructions to change Win8 to look like Win7. The link you provided has too much info to sort through to find that. I know quite a few people that would be interested in that.

And while you're at it, please post direct link (s) to the instructions for Win10 to look like Win7.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:18 am 

Sorry about the delay in replying, (been on holiday)
Making win 8 to look and act as Win 7 , basically means booting directly to the deak top and adding back the start menu.
The link I posted gives multiple suggestions,because lots of users have their suggestions on what makes a great looking and acting operating system. but a simple search will bring up the info.
As for Win 10, I think its best to wait for the final version (just a few days now), the last few beta versions have just been tweaking a great product. But yes I will be making my desktop look like windows seven.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:37 pm 

Okay. I guess I'll have to find the time to sift through the clutter and find it. I have many friends, family and others that would want me to change it for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm 

I've been busy and haven't had the time to check my e-mail for over a week! I just ran across this tidbit in my e-mail. It comports with my view on the potential problem of upgrading to Win10 and in most cases the problem of upgrading from one OS to another whether it be XP, Vista, Win7, etc.

http://www.komando.com/columns/314993/i ... our-pc/all

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 pm 

Good impartial article, which makes a lot of sense Can't disagree with anything that it says.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:34 pm 

Hi Jorge, I read in one of your threads in the General section that you recently installed the release version of Windows 10.

I have some questions for you.

1. Did it wipe away your files like what happens when you do a System Recovery? Or does it leave everything as it was before the upgrade-in other words, is it like restarting the PC with none of my personal files and programs changing or being deleted?

2. Is there a replacement player provided in the upgrade for WMP? And if so, will music and video files that are part of WMP's library and the ones that need the DMCA or whatever the authentication to play that were provided by WMP transferable to the new player?

It's been years now, but I remember each time I had a new OS or had to do a System Recovery that some of my music files would not work until WMP downloaded some sort of copyright file.

3. Are the graphics better?

4. Is the speed faster?

5. Is the startup speed faster?

6. Do you recommend upgrading now, or wait until close to the 1 year time period runs out?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, I installed Windows 10 first on Virtual Machines, and finally I upgraded a spare PC I had here with Windows 8.x to Windows 10. Unfortunately it's a spare PC I use for tests only, not my main PC, so I can't really answer most of your questions.

This said, it does seem to boot faster. As for speed, hard to say since I don't have much installed on the spare PC or even use it much.

As for the Graphics, I didn't dislike what they did for the RTM version, but the new icons etc seem designed by 10 year olds. ;-)

Personally I would wait a while longer if I were you before jumping into the Windows 10 bandwagon. Give developers time to port their apps and drivers, etc, to Windows 10 - look at what is happening with Stardock software, most of it does not work correctly with Windows 10.

Usually developers wait for the final (stable) release before starting to tweak their software to offer full compatibility with the new OS and for a good reason, but this time I think Stardock made a mistake, they didn't realize how different Windows 10 would be (and therefore how many of their applications would break under it) and how massively adopted it would become from day 1 because of the free upgrade.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:36 pm 

Thanks for your input Jorge. I'll hold off at least until the very end. Has anyone else installed Windows 10 that can verify whether or not it will erase programs, files etc?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:46 pm 

I've been busy taking care of my mother so I haven't had the time to check my e-mail or research much at all lately until today.

I went through a few of my e-mails and came across some of the following tidbits that has answered some of the questions I had about Windows 10 and also did a little research to find out about upgrading to Windows 10.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/32 ... -thing/all

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/06/ ... NL_SciTech

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-s ... -10-a.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, are you still running Windows 8.x?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:01 am 

Never had Windows 8. I'm still using 7.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh sorry. There was one thing I needed to test. Too late now anyway. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2