Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Fix Issues With Your PC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:10 am 

Wise Care 365 http://www.filehippo.com/download_wise_care_365_free/ is an excellent program. I'm surprised that the user rating isn't 5 stars. I think the reason is because many of them haven't figured out that the key to making this program totally effective is to use CCleaner in place of the Privacy Protector tab section that is locked for free users which I'll explain later.

Along with Unchecky http://unchecky.com/ and Driver Booster http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php (DO NOT INSTALL THE IOBIT STUFF. ONLY ENABLE DRIVER BOOSTER) this is the best program I've come across so far. My PC speed increased considerably.

Install Wise Care 365. Once installed, you should run it the first time in Safe Mode.

Open Wise Care 365. It should default to the PC Checkup tab. Click on Checkup in green. It will start scanning and after completion will display what needs to be fixed.

Click Fix. After completion it will give you a PC Health Index rating.

Then click on the System Cleaner tab. Under the Registry Cleaner heading to the left, run the scan and clean.

Then click the Common Cleaner heading to the left and run the scan and clean.

Then click the Advanced Cleaner heading to the left and run the scan and clean.

Then click the System Slimming heading to the left. Be careful what you enable in this heading and run the scan and clean/Slim Down.

Then click on the System Tuneup tab and select what you want. I selected all of them. Then Click Optimize. Since doing that, it won't allow me to do it again because it states: Congratulations! All the items have been optimized. So I don't remember what the terminology is after Optimize is clicked.

Click on the Registry Defrag heading to the left click Analyze.

Then click on the Start Manager heading to the left. You can chose what programs you want enabled on Startup of the PC. So far, it works well.

Click on the Privacy Protector tab. You will notice the clean button but it will not work unless you're using the paid version. Don't panic! There is way to fix that problem.

Exit Wise Care 365. Run CCleaner. VERY IMPORTANT! For CCleaner. If you you use Firefox (FF), make sure you uncheck everything concerning FF. It is located under the Applications tab. If you don't, it can break FF. This is stated on the FF Support site and I can verify this is true because some time ago I was having issues with FF until I found out about that via the FF Support site.

Under Windows tab, Click Analyze, after scan, Run Cleaner, OK.

Under Applications tab, (MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS UNCHECKED CONCERNING FF) Click Analyze. If it shows something other than 0 bytes to be removed, Run Cleaner, OK.

Click Registry on the left. Click Scan for issues. If Applicable, click Fix selected issues. You can choose whether to save or not. If anyone needs further help about using CCleaner, let me know.

Open Wise Care 365 and go over the steps again until you get a PC Checkup score of 10.0.

After that, go back into Windows and you should see a considerable difference in your system's speed.

BTW, I run Wise Care 365 several times a day, but not in Safe Mode, and only run the following:

1. PC Checkup

2. System Cleaner (Registry Cleaner only, not the others)

3. CCleaner

4. Rerun PC Checkup to see if I get 10.0. If so, that's it until the next time.

Post subject: Re: Fix Issues With Your PC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:29 pm 

Well, it's been a little more than a month now. I would like some feedback on whether or not Wise Care 365 and the other programs worked out.

I would not post something for Winstep users to try if I hadn't vetted it myself, just as I always tout the virtues of using Winstep Xtreme. However, that doesn't mean that there could be something that a particular user doesn't like.

And of course, if you feel the recommendation of those programs are good, please let us know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:33 pm 

I had an issue with my external CD/DVD drawer not opening in a timely fashion. I just happened to run the Driver Booster 3 scan and applied the updates not thinking anything about the drawer issue. I ran into a problem (that Driver Booster 3 fixed either directly or indirectly) and turned out not to be the fault of Winstep Xtreme which is explained here in the Winstep 16.2 version release thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9843&p=29098#p29098

I need to mention one thing that is important that I forgot previously. When applying an update from Driver Booster, make sure you create a System Restore point first! I had to use it. There is always the possibility that an update can make your PC act screwy, particularly if it deals with a display adapter.

It's apparent that for some reason Nvidia graphics cards, drivers and software has constant issues. Even when using their program to update, the affect is worse than it is when using Driver Booster and it is the reason I found out about Driver Booster.

Also, I found out through mostly trial and error (researching didn't help much) that to fix a DPI issue (where the desktop etc is warped and too large) caused by an update for Nvidia graphics, you have to do it Safe Mode. If anyone wants to know what I did, just ask and I'll post it. I don't want to waste time doing that if no one is interested.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:32 pm 

Windy, just saw your post about Wise Care. Will give it a go. A little nervous about Drive Booster though. Driver update messes are a pain :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 pm 

werewolf wrote:
A little nervous about Drive Booster though. Driver update messes are a pain :-)

True, but I found not so with Driver Booster with one exception.

The only issue I had doing an update with Driver Booster is for my graphics card. I still can't use the latest one because it screws up the graphics on my PC. I had to repair it in Safe Mode.

Presently, every driver is updated except the Display adapters driver (Nvidia). In fact just to make sure, I just ran Driver Booster.

This obviously isn't the fault of Driver Booster. It is the buggy updates by Nvidia that is the problem. I've had a problem with their updates years before I found out about Driver Booster.

As I mentioned earlier, that actually is the reason I found out about Driver Booster. I was trying to find ways to deal with the problem. The impact of doing the updates via Driver Booster decreased the severity of the problem this last time.

I even tried using the official Nvidia program (something I hadn't used for quite some time after finding Driver Booster) to see if that would work. Of course, it was mayhem. It took quite a bit to get my PC back to where it was.

Driver Booster helped to fix it when I used it to overwrite the usual corrupted install via the official way. Only then was I able to fix it.

Prior to the latest release I was actually able to update the graphics card many times when it would not using the official Nvidia program.

BTW, those updates enhanced my graphics experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:56 am 

Windy, wow! have run this program a few times now trying out the various options. my boot time dropped quite dramatically. impressive and a good recommendation. thanks for that. I still haven't worked up the nerve to try the driver updates :-), but I made a system recovery drive and an image backup so if anything does go wonky, I can get back pretty quick.
Thanks again for the heads up on this program.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:57 pm 

Werewolf, glad you like Wise Care 365! It was also a great idea to make the image backup.

BTW, did you install Unchecky? That program is awesome! There are no cons to that program. It will without question prevent Junkware which contain viruses or other malware from installing on your PC when they attempt to sneak it in when a new program is installed. Usually this happens when toolbars are stealthily installed.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]