Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Xtreme Alarm Clock and CD/DVD Features
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04 pm 

Kudos to Jorge for adding these awesome features.

Because of the new alarm clock feature I don't use my cell phone any longer to notify or wake me up while at home. What's really awesome is that it can be set for multiple alarms. It's extremely simple to set up and your song of choice and name of an activity can be added to notify or wake you up.

For example, I have a particular activity set for twice a week at specified days and time instead of having to set two alarms for the same time and activity. On top of that, I have many others set up.

The new CD/DVD open and close feature is also awesome! I no longer have to fiddle with my CD/DVD drawers. I just click on the related icon on my docks and they open and close flawlessly! In fact, my external drawer functions better using this feature than using Windows itself! And of course, the default Windows setting has no way to close the drawer.

So, anyone that doesn't have Winstep Xtreme, you should reconsider. It's a great program chock full of incredibly useful features.

Post subject: Re: Winstep Xtreme Alarm Clock and CD/DVD Features
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:16 pm 

Jorge's at it again!! He's added another new great feature! Auto Backup which is now part of the alarm clock. This new feature takes all of the hassle out of saving your settings.

Each setting can be saved daily, weekly or monthly. Each time it saves it will not overwrite the old one and will end up saving a lot of files. At first glance to some that would seem not a wise thing to do, but of course, it is in fact the best thing to do.

Suppose you try out a setting every few days, every week or even after a month, you will be able to access all of them again at will. And of course, if there is some issue you're having it can be sent to Jorge to analyze. Jorge states, "It creates the filename based on the current date and time and stores the backup in the last used backup folder (or C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Backup\ by default)."

Everything is superbly laid out here about the auto backup feature by Jorge/Winstep. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9933

P.S. A shortcut to the alarm clock is to right-click on the clock module (which appears on the desktop), left-click on Manage Alarms. If you have your settings configured appropriately, you don't have to have your desktop visible to access it in this manner. All you have to do is bump to bring the module into view.

Post subject: Re: Winstep Xtreme Alarm Clock and CD/DVD Features
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:45 pm 

I forgot to add that Jorge's advice should be taken about not setting it for daily backups.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9933

The only reason I would set it to that is if I were testing out several configurations in a period of a few days.

At present, mine are set to weekly. I'll change it to monthly after the second time it does a backup.

Here is another useful link Jorge posted in another thread. The part about the clock/alarm (where the new backup feature is located) is almost halfway down the page.

http://www.winstep.net/modules.asp

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 3 posts ]