Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: New system is here: Intel Optane 905p inside!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, basically given up on having CM's MasterPlus software controlling the small ARGB controller and settled on a white/blue/orange RGB theme for the case, which is actually pretty nice while remaining sober. None of those flashing RGB colors for me.

I also got a custom made RGB SSD cover with the Asus ROG symbol for my (ugly) Crucial MX-500 SATA SSD and I think it looks pretty cool too.

In addition got a Cooler Master RGB bar which difuses the white light throughout the case and allows the white accents in the Noctua Chromax covers to remain visible even when the lights in the office are off. All in all, and despite the lack of success with the MasterPlus software, I'm pretty happy with the results:

Attachment:
20190425_161258.jpg
20190425_161258.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 7253 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_161358.jpg
20190425_161358.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 7253 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_162948.jpg
20190425_162948.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 7253 times ]

Attachment:
20190425_170951.jpg
20190425_170951.jpg [ 3.38 MiB | Viewed 7253 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 am 
Site Admin

So, a small update to this:

Ended up replacing the Cooler Master MF140R ARGB fans with Corsair LL140 RGB fans. This because after a lot of experimenting there is no doubt in my mind that Corsair's iCue software is currently the best, more flexible and most complete RGB controlling software out there. The LL140 fans are also one of the most beautiful RGB fans available, with their independent outer and inner rings - but you do pay a premium for them as they are expensive.

It's appalling how bad Asus Aura Sync is given how long it has been in development, it doesn't even let you apply different effects to different components and anything other than static color effects basically hogs one of your CPU cores just so you can have pretty lights. Asus is another company that makes great hardware but terrible software. Cooler Master MasterPlus software is also not ready for prime time.

In the end this RGB stuff should all be standard so you could use the software you like the best regardless of component brand, but it isn't - each manufacturer pushes their end of the stick and if their software sucks.... you're stuck with it.

In the mean time the LED strips in the C700M, which were all a cool bright white in the beginning (when set to white, of course) are now turning to a dull yellowish white. All except one of the strips at the front, which makes it worse - from what I read this could be due to poor heat dissipation inside the strips.

Attachments:
20190924_215849.jpg
20190924_215849.jpg [ 83.14 KiB | Viewed 5221 times ]
20190924_215748.jpg
20190924_215748.jpg [ 89.15 KiB | Viewed 5221 times ]
20190924_215732.jpg
20190924_215732.jpg [ 76.07 KiB | Viewed 5221 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 am 
Site Admin

About a month or so after sending the Razer Mamba TE back on warranty due to the usual micro-switch problems and getting a ROG Gladius II Origin instead (still very happy with it), I was told by the shop I brought the Razer at that it could not be repaired and I would be given a credit note instead.

Some time goes by and given the good results with Corsair's iCue software I decided to use the credit to get a Corsair K70 MK2 Low Profile keyboard with Cherry Speed switches (there was nothing else I might want in that shop and the credit note had an expiration date, so use it or lose it).

The Corsair keyboard thus took the place of my Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2, which is actually a really nice mechanical keyboard (and has a superb wrist pad):

This said, the overall superior quality and brushed metal look of the Corsair keyboard (plus iCue being a hell of a lot better than Razer Synapse, e.g.; I can even combine multiple RGB effects together) sold me on the K70.

But here is the problem: try as I might (and I did for a long time) I could not get used to the Cherry Speed switches that came with the K70.

Probably because I have long fingers, that combined with the hyper sensitive switches meant a TON of accidental key presses, sometimes resulting in some sequence of control codes being sent that would create havoc with my browser as I was typing something and, more often than not, resulted in me losing whatever I had typed thus far. It didn't happen all the time, of course, but it happened often enough to become extremely frustrating.

So I bit the bullet and just got a Corsair K95 Platinum keyboard with Cherry Brown switches. Overall very similar to the K70, the K95 has a row of macro keys on the left side, taller keys (i.e.; it's not low profile), an extra cool looking RGB strip on the top of the keyboard, three hardware RGB profiles, and it also has a dual mode magnetic wrist pad (so you can choose between a smooth or a textured surface).

I only just got the keyboard so I am still getting used to it, but already run into two problems: because of the extra row of macro keys at the left that the MK70 did not have, my hands are now in the wrong position: I keep hitting CAPS LOCK when I want to hit the A key and so on... I don't think this is a biggie as it should simply be a question of getting used to shifting the 'home position' of my hands one key row to the right.

The other issue might be, I think, a bit more problematic: take a look at the position of the ESC key in the K95 and compare it with the position of the same key on the Razer keyboard. Notice the difference? On the Razer the ESC key is the leftmost top key (as it should) and the macro keys are below it. On the K95, however, the G1 key (first macro key) is on the same horizontal row as the ESC key, in other words, where you would expect the ESC key to be. This means I keep hitting G1 when I want to press ESC.

Personally I think this is a MAJOR ergonomic blunder on Corsair's part, and is also a common complain I see on Amazon user reviews of the K95. Let's see if this is something I can get used to - other than that, the 'accidental wrong key presses' that used to happen on the K70 have stopped completely. Yay! :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6