Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 111 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New system nearly here!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 am 

Thanks for the info on the mouse and keyboard. I'd rather get your perspective than trying to figure it out by just the reviews since they were all over the place.

I wouldn't want my brother to get mad with me for recommending something that's not that good, especially since they aren't cheap.

It would take a lot to part with my wireless trackball mouse which obviously doesn't need a mousepad. The battery lasts at least 5 months and it flashes when the battery gets low. It's programmable. I've posted briefly about it some time ago (don't remember what the thread was about) but maybe you would like it because of it's flexibility.

The only downside in using it for your setup is that since it isn't a Razer, you wouldn't be able to make use of all the mousepad features.

If all of the features were available with a non-Razer mouse, I would consider getting the mousepad (sometimes I get to pick a birthday present which won't be for many months) just because of the lighting effects.

Give it a look. It's really an excellent mouse. I use it in conjunction with the Firefox add on Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE.

Kensington Expert Mouse Wireless Trackball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:56 am 

Heh. I'm still using my Logitech Trackman Marble T-BB13. I bought it new in 1999 and the stupid thing still works. Logitech no longer supports it, but Windoze uses it just fine.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, back when they did things that actually lasted, instead of putting in planned obsolescence!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, managed to overclock my 3200 CL16-18-18-36 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM (Hynix) to 3600 CL17-19-19-39. Considering it's using Hynix chips, not too bad.

Also raised the uncore ratio from 43 to 46 - tried 47 but it wasn't stable in Prime95 small FFT.

Guess this is as far as I can go if I want to keep my system 100% stable 24/7.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm 

I consider myself fairly computer literate. However, this is extremely relative. Compared to most people, I am above average.

But compared to you and others on your level, I'm almost totally computer illiterate! :lol:

I read all of the stuff you posted about your PC and with the exception of about 10% of it, you might as well have wrote it in Portuguese!! :lol:

One thing that has never been explained to me is what is the purpose of overclocking? I get it that it's for better performance, but the part I don't understand is why do it?

I used to own a 1970 Chevy Nova that I turned into a high-performance street/strip drag-racing car which means it was my daily driver, (which can't be too outrageous because you won't be able to drive it around without destroying the engine) but on the weekends I would take it to the track and kick-ass!! Never lost a race!

Anyway, to get the performance, I changed the engine, and several other things. So, what I don't understand is why just changing the components of the PC isn't enough?

I guess the only thing I can relate it to would be to advance the timing in a car. Is that the proper equivalent?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
So, what I don't understand is why just changing the components of the PC isn't enough?

I guess the only thing I can relate it to would be to advance the timing in a car. Is that the proper equivalent?

If you are already running the top of the top, there is nothing else to change to (at least not for some time to come). So, it's a question of extracting the best of what you have by pushing it to the limits.

Even if there are better things out there, they are probably a lot more expensive. For instance, why pay an extra $100 for 3600 RAM if you can make your cheaper 3200 RAM (which is already good enough!) reach that same speed by simply tinkering a bit with the settings?

Some (I would say most) people don't care about pushing their systems - others will never be satisfied until they know for certain that they are getting the most bang for the buck possible. Besides, it's fun, and who doesn't like the sensation of getting more value out of what they paid for?

The fact that there is a whole industry and a large audience around the overclocking subject shows a lot of people simply like to tinker with their systems - it's like gambling, as some CPUs will overclock well and others won't. There's a reason it's called the 'Silicon lottery'. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:22 am 

winstep wrote:
it's like gambling, as some CPUs will overclock well and others won't. There's a reason it's called the 'Silicon lottery'. :)

I've heard many stories of people screwing up their PC's overclocking it, so that's why I never tried. Can't afford to take the gamble. :)

It's the same reason I ran my Nova naturally aspirated no NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) because I didn't want to blow up my engine.

Well if you ever move on to bigger and better hardware, I'm here to take it off your hands!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a risk to everything, but provided you know what you are doing and you don't do anything really stupid, it should be ok. Modern systems also have a lot protection built-in, although it's not fool proof.

The key point here is knowing what you are doing, so you should read a lot about overclocking, what the different BIOS settings do and about the differences between components before diving in. There's a big overclocking community out there too, and they always seem to be glad to help.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:32 pm 

I'll look into it. Not sure if my system can handle it. I only have an i5 with the highest dedicated video card it can take.

BTW, will overclocking affect a warranty? I think certain things on the PC are still under warranty.

Does what video card is being used have anything to do with whether or not a PC can be overclocked?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look, Windy, you don't understand the basics yet, so before you even try doing ANYTHING start reading a LOT about overclocking first.

Every CPU, RAM, graphics card, etc, model is different and has different limits. You MUST know what those limits are for your specific setup. You MUST know what to do if you overclock too far and your system doesn't POST/boot anymore.

As I said, if you know what you are doing, the risks are minimal (but always present), but if you don't know what you are doing you can easily burn out your CPU, motherboard, RAM and graphics card by applying too much voltage - and if you can't afford new ones, simply DON'T.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 pm 

:lol: Don't worry, I wasn't go to try anything. I'm a very cautious person, particularly when it comes to areas I'm not familiar with.

I was just wondering since my video card is the highest one possible for my setup if I should even bother looking into overclocking-at least as far as this PC, and whether that would be years down the road when it's time to get another one that's better suited for overclocking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
As for putting the Optane on the CPU PCIe slot using the riser cable, I ended up deciding against it. First I couldn't get a definite statement in relation to performance improvements - not even from an Intel tech on the Intel forums - second I read that riser cables can lead to signal degradation, or worse if the wires inside the cable break due to the cable being bent.

Well, curiosity took the best of me and I ended up plugging the Optane directly to the CPU PCIe slot to see what the difference would be. I also tried installing it vertically on the graphics card holder using the riser cable to see what it would look like.

Both options ended with me reverting to the previous original configuration.

As an Intel tech correctly pointed out, regardless of anything else the limits are in the drive itself.

According to CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64, there was literally no difference in terms of Q32T1 sequential reads and writes (2670 MB/s read, 2360 MB/s write).

If anything, 4K writes were actually WORSE with the Optane connected to the CPU PCIe lanes (4KiB Q8T8, CPU: 850 MB/s, PCH: 1060 MB/s - 4KiB Q32T1, CPU: 160 MB/s, PCH: 190 MB/s, all other results were basically the same).

Even copying a 40 GB file from my Samsung 970 2TB M2 drive to the Optane showed no improved performance, the opposite in fact: with the Optane connected to the CPU lanes, I got a max of 1.8 GB/s. With the Optane connected to the PCH, I got 2 GB/s.

These results are all with the drive connected directly to the PCIe slots.

I also tried it with the riser cable (just to see what the system would look like with the drive vertical) connected to the PCH PCIe slot. I can't be sure because results with AS SSD Benchmark were all over the place (I used AS SSD Benchmark for this, unfortunately) but it *seemed* like the riser cable (shielded) made sequential reads and writes WORSE by about 250 KB/s. Guess the extra distance signals need to travel does have some influence.

I didn't like the look anyway (the graphics card holder with the drive in it partially blocked the view to the graphics card and the motherboard, plus it made the inside of the system look more cluttered than before), so I ended up reverting everything to how it was previously.

Above with the Optane in vertical configuration using the graphics card holder and the riser cable (the Optane allows limited configuration of the LEDs: either blue, red, green or off).

Below in normal configuration, as it is now and was before: makes the system appear a lot more 'cleaner' than the above option:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm 

Nice!! :D However, I'm confused about something in the pics.

What am I looking at? Are those both DVD/CD drives, (the two silver circles that look like CD's) or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

There are two white fans (motion-blurred in the picture because they are spinning). Jorge has RGB fans, meaning they have LED lights in them. Those two are white right now. One of them is on the underside of the top of the case and the other is just behind the CPU at the rear of the case. They are both exhaust fans.

He also has two more in front of that rear one for the CPU itself. The front one of those is blue/purple (blurple?). So, in order, I see a blurple fan, then a radiator block (black), then another fan, then another radiator, then a bit of open air, following by the white fan. The order I described these is the order the air is blowing (at least, I hope that's what he did...lol).

Does that help, Windy?

Did I get it right, Jorge?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm 

You've got me! :lol: I'm still confused! :lol:

It appears Jorge is the only one that can definitively say what in the heck we're looking at. Photos can seriously mess with one's perception depending on what the angle and lighting is.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Articles  [ 111 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next