Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Dock - Feature requests
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm 

I'd like to make 2 suggestions to add to Nexus dock.

It's all about Windows 7. Windows 7 differs from other Windows versions, mainly for the new taskbar, that allows you to make much more things than ever before.

Nexus dock allows us to view opened application/windows in other place of the dock. For a user that it's used to new Window 7 takbar, this behavior is a bit confusing, so it will be better if you can make Nexus behave more similar to Windows 7 taskbar this way:

- When you roll the mouse pointer over the icon of the app opened, it will shows in there the windows preview feature.

- When you open an app, instead of using open indicator triangle / "show open app in dock" option; it will be better if the same icon of the app, shows an open indicator below (only if 1 instance is opened) or show an overlaying little circle with a small number detailing the opened windows too...

That will be great! And, with this features, Nexus will be JUST the BEST DOCK EVER!

Please, see the attached image as an example.
Attachment:
nexus_systray.jpg
nexus_systray.jpg [ 60.18 KiB | Viewed 25278 times ]

It will be better if both feaures can be configured too by the user:

- Size of Window Preview
- Size of Window Amount indicator, Type of font, size of font, x and y relative position of Window Amount indicator graphic.

I hope this features can be realeased soon!!

I would like to use Nexus, but, without this features, it really canno't compete with the Windows 7 taskbar.

Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock - Feature requests
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Ludomatico! :D

Thanks for all your suggestions. All the changes you mentioned are already scheduled for a future release of Nexus (in fact, the NextSTART taskbar does that already) but I haven't had time to implement those features into Nexus yet.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:52 pm 

Hi,

I am just trying

Winstep Xtreme 10.4 on my new laptop win7 64bit.

In NextStart I have a problem with the taskbar.

The new win7 feature is that if a program has several windows open than if I am with the mouse over the program icon in the taskbar ALL windows are poping up (small versions) and I can select which one I want.

In the taskbar from NextSTart this does not work, I see only the active window from the application when I go with the mouse to the program icon in the task bar.

Is there a special setting neccessary to get back the original win7 behavior?

Best regards,

dingolino

winstep wrote:
Hi Ludomatico! :D

Thanks for all your suggestions. All the changes you mentioned are already scheduled for a future release of Nexus (in fact, the NextSTART taskbar does that already) but I haven't had time to implement those features into Nexus yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm 

winstep wrote:
All the changes you mentioned are already scheduled for a future release of Nexus (in fact, the NextSTART taskbar does that already) but I haven't had time to implement those features into Nexus yet.

I hope you do, because Microsoft's support for XP has been prolonged and the only two other tools that simulate the 7 Superbar on XP (SBar and ViGlance), both have several issues and it seems as if they are not developed anymore!

I've played around a bit with Nexus 10.6 and while you can simulate some Windows 7 Superbar features, some things just don't work. You probably plan these for the next Nexus update already but just in case, here a my suggestions:

- Minimize the current windows to the taskbar and open new ones with (user definable) clicking. When I do this right now in 10.6 by first showing the running apps and then moving them into the docking part, most apps start new except for those that are limited to one occurrence.

- Bring a currently running but minimized app to the front or start it new when something is moved on top of it to make drag&drop possible like in the original Windows XP. Right now the taskbar wants to add a link of the item, which should only be done when moving it between docked apps.

- Offer alternative indicators for running programs that look like in 7 (you know the whitish/blue/orange borders).

- Offer a simple gray background for the taskbar like in the Windows Classic scheme (or is there a Classic Theme?)

- Make it possible to customize the clock some more, like background color or time/date/day settings (see Tclock2).

- Restore the menu when right clicking on the Start button and show the recent documents when right clicking on apps.

- Open the Nexus menu only when the taskbar or sys tray icons are right clicked to make the features above possible.

- Make it possible to move the clock or other modules to the end of the taskbar next to the system tray section.

- Offer an alternative "show desktop" button that looks like in 7 and make it possible to move it to the end of the taskbar.

- Automatically stretch the taskbar from one end of the screen to the other to allow the features mentioned above.

I have just taken a look at NextStart 10.6, and while the thumbnail previews are working fine and some other stuff like the stretched taskbar I requested above, I think you should do it like 7 and merge quicklaunch, taskbar and workshelf sections into one. Also after 10.6 was only just released, when can we expect such a free "Windows 7 Superbar killer" Nexus ;)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Minimize the current windows to the taskbar

You mean 'minimize to the dock'. This is a popular request, but unfortunately there is a problem: you see, under Winstep Xtreme you can have several 'taskbars' running at the same time should you wish to do so: the NextSTART taskbar, a NextSTART menu showing running applications, one - or more! - Nexus docks also showing running applications, and the Tasks tab of the Shelf.

Under these circumstances, my question to you would be 'minimize to WHICH taskbar?' :wink:

Hope you understand the problem.

Quote:
Offer alternative indicators (etc)...

Seems to me like you are describing the NextSTART taskbar. :wink:

Quote:
Also after 10.6 was only just released, when can we expect such a free "Windows 7 Superbar killer" Nexus?

Give me a break, v10.6 was just released yesterday, hehehe. :D

Anyway, should be soon, little over a month or so. But don't hold me to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:02 am 

winstep wrote:
Under these circumstances, my question to you would be 'minimize to WHICH taskbar?' :wink:

In Nexus there is only one option so that would be easy ;). For the others I would suggest you let the user decide. All the customize choices compared to the original Windows taskbars are the coolest features of your fantastic work anyway! But in the end it should be possible to mimic the 7 superbar and this is one of the most important and useful features needed.

Quote:
Seems to me like you are describing the NextSTART taskbar. :wink:

You are right. Please add them as option to the next Nexus version.

Quote:
Anyway, should be soon, little over a month or so. But don't hold me to it.

Cool :)! I think I can hold out that long with SBar and tclock2, which can imitate a 7 classic look under XP quite well, except for icons vanishing after hibernate (until SBar refresh) and right clicking on them taking ages (unless document list is cleared)...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 am 

winstep wrote:
Quote:
Minimize the current windows to the taskbar

You mean 'minimize to the dock'. This is a popular request, but unfortunately there is a problem: you see, under Winstep Xtreme you can have several 'taskbars' running at the same time should you wish to do so: the NextSTART taskbar, a NextSTART menu showing running applications, one - or more! - Nexus docks also showing running applications, and the Tasks tab of the Shelf.

Hope you understand the problem.

I can understand that being a problem, but I can also imagine solutions. Let the user pick one dock to which all applications are minimized. Or let the user specify which applications minimize to which docks (for example: internet browsers go to A, word processing to B, all others to C). Just do SOMETHING. Nexus is the strongest Windows dock application in almost every respect, but this one limitation is crippling.

This is the only thing stopping me from buying your software. But I have seen how talented and responsive you are, so I'm sure you'll whip up a solution in no time!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

plasticup wrote:
Nexus is the strongest Windows dock application in almost every respect, but this one limitation is crippling.

This is the only thing stopping me from buying your software.

You are saying that in the middle of all that sheer functionality and eye candy you are letting a minor detail (with no functional impact AT ALL) such as this stop you from purchasing what is currently the best dock in the market? :shock:

Personaly I would call it everything *but* "crippling", hehe.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 pm 

winstep wrote:
plasticup wrote:
Nexus is the strongest Windows dock application in almost every respect, but this one limitation is crippling.

This is the only thing stopping me from buying your software.

You are saying that in the middle of all that sheer functionality and eye candy you are letting a minor detail (with no functional impact AT ALL) such as this stop you from purchasing what is currently the best dock in the market? :shock:

Yes. If it cannot show my running programs then it cannot function as a central navigation tool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Either we are talking about different things or I don't understand you: since when is a 'minimize animation' (which is what I think you are talking about) equal to not being able to show running programs?

You can show running programs in Nexus docks.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:06 pm 

Hi!

Very nice feature will be support Unicode characters.
Still missing.

Miro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mirkosoft wrote:
Very nice feature will be support Unicode characters.
Still missing.

It will never happen, unfortunately. It's a limitation of the programming language used to make the software.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]