Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 10 problem with portable drive.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 am 

I have a Seagate 320 GB portable drive that is clearly a removable drive, but Windows 10 does not recognize it as a removable drive on two out of three of my PC’s. When I click on the icon in the taskbar to remove the device, I don’t get the dialog telling me that it is now safe to remove the device. I have to just watch the device to see when the access light goes out. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 problem with portable drive.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 pm 

This might seem like a silly question, but have you contacted Seagate? They might be able to solve the problem.

It's possible it could be a driver problem. Also, my experience with Seagate drives aren't good. Out of the 10 or so that have I've had over the years, only 2 of their drives haven't given me problems.

I no longer purchase Seagate drives because of that.

Compounding the problem is Windows 10. I did not upgrade. Windows 7 is better.

You can try this if you don't have it already. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php (DO NOT INSTALL THE IOBIT STUFF. ONLY ENABLE DRIVER BOOSTER) It will update all of the drivers on your PC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:50 pm 

Thanks for the response. Drivers are updated per Driver Booster, DriverEasy and Driver Max. As I said, it works on one of my PC'S. Two of them believe it is a permanent drive, the other one recognizes that it is a removable drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm 

You didn't say whether or not you contacted Seagate. Another thing to try if possible, is see if you have that same problem on a Windows 7 PC and/or a Mac.

If it does the same thing, then that means definitely there is something wrong with the drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:10 pm 

No, I didn't bother to contact Seagate. It worked fine when I was on Win 7 on all three PC's. It works fine on one of my Win 10 PC's. So as much as you dislike Seagate, I don't think they are the blame. I believe Win 10 is the culprit. There has to be some subtle property to be set in Windows that will convince Windows that my drive is a removable drive. I've compared the properties and don't see any difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 am 

Seagate isn't what it used to be. Years ago their drives were excellent, but I've noticed a decline in them.

However, Windows 10 plain and simple sucks as far as I'm concerned and warned everyone I could to not install it. I personally know at least two people who's Windows 7 PC was turned into a paper weight due to a Windows 10 update because they won't boot up. What's really screwed up is that Microsoft installed it without them doing anything!

One of them boots into Windows for a little more than a minute and shuts down. The other one won't boot at all. Unfortunately they don't have discs for them. Obviously the System Recovery feature in the OS cannot be used.

About six months ago (only a day or two after I was made aware of the PC's I mentioned, I was fixing something on my friend's (the husband of one of the aforementioned victims) laptop and looked away for a couple of minutes. Fortunately, something told me to look back at the laptop.

When I turned and looked at it, the damn thing just started the process of installing Windows 10!! I immediately stopped it.

LOL! It made me remember this. Skagon was prophetic with this statement from this thread at Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:47 am viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9582&start=0
skagon wrote:
One fine day, you'll reboot your computer and come face to face with Windows 10... :D

Anyway, try these. Hopefully one of the methods will fix your problem.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5f05a5b1b0

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 86e?auth=1

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 6 posts ]