Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 172 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep crashing since the latest update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nearly there... MP3 proxy is already working here, even though it wasn't as easy as it might have seem to pull this off... didn't want the proxy executable to be loaded all the time, even when it wasn't needed.

And how about there? Still no crashes?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:39 am 

winstep wrote:
And how about there? Still no crashes?

None, even tried to play wav sounds with alarm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 pm 

i noticed something new
when winstep plays mp3 it activates http://www.ac3filter.net/
i haven't noticed it before because ac3 icon is set to autohide in taskbar, and my video player sometimes runs it depending on the file i'm watching

no other program activates ac3 while playing mp3

i wanted to play a bit with ac3 to see if i can fix things but i thought maybe i sdhould wait for your proxy first

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

See?

My guess is that removing the AC3 filter from your system (or uninstalling any existing codec packs and installing the latest K-Lite codec pack instead) would fix the crashes, but I'm glad you decided to wait.

Even though you're the only one complaining about this issue here and the vast majority of users are not suffering from this problem, I know from experience that for every vocal user there are a thousand silent ones. Fixing it for you will solve it for the silent ones too.

Furthermore, the silent group will probably just assume that the application is buggy and will uninstall it without saying a word.

The Audio proxy (assuming it works as intended and the problem is not system global) will make Winstep applications more robust to buggy 3rd party codecs and filters. Even if the buggy filter/codec affects the Proxy, it shouldn't be a problem because the proxy has been designed to automatically quit once all MP3 files have stopped playing - this way it's not taking system memory unnecessarily and a fresh session is launched almost every time an MP3 file needs to be played.

It's ready and working, by the way, just making the final tests.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

ac3 has a list of the file types but i don't think its supposed to handle mp3 files, at least no other programs use it. after i test your proxy a will play with ac3 settings a bit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and make sure 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' is enabled, then click the Check for Updates button.

The Winstep Update Manager should pick up the new beta.

Once that is installed and running, open Task Manager and make sure the 'WsMMPlay.exe' process pops up every time WorkShelf plays an MP3 file. It should disappear from the list of running processes roughly 60 seconds after last playing an MP3 file (doesn't go away immediately for performance reasons).

Lets see if this fixes the crashes and general weirdness when playing MP3 files - please report back ASAP. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:03 pm 

ok, it works, i turned on both clock and mail voice notifications and alarms that go off every 15 mins, ill report back how it goes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks... and now... we wait. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:28 pm 

even if this works, i think ill go roll back to 16.12 and play with ac3. maybe its some kind of ocd, but i need to find out whats happening

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
even if this works, i think ill go roll back to 16.12 and play with ac3. maybe its some kind of ocd, but i need to find out whats happening

Yes, if you have a buggy AC3 filter I think you should replace it with a working version, as it might lead to problems with other applications. If all this is indeed related to the MP3 files and that filter and the Proxy app fixes it, then v16.12 will be a good tool to help you know when the issue is fixed on your side.

Btw, while we wait you could play around with the new Moon Calendar and let me know what you think. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:45 pm 

Moon module looks good but found one probable unintedned behaviour, if you enable the module by right-clicking another module and going trough context menu, when you rightclick module for moon phase settings, then click ok, it closes the module

if you enable the module trough preferneces, clicking ok in moon phase setting resets the moon module position and scale (even if the module position was locked)

i also had a question about calendar module, it has two arrows on top as if you could flip trough the calendar for previous and next months, but nothing happens if i try to click on them
http://prntscr.com/dutfkp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

so far so good, but its early to call it fixed yet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
Moon module looks good but found one probable unintedned behaviour, if you enable the module by right-clicking another module and going trough context menu, when you rightclick module for moon phase settings, then click ok, it closes the module

Thanks, reproduced and fixed.

In v16.12 I made a lot of under-the-hood module related changes to the code. As usual, some things got broken.

seeker wrote:
if you enable the module trough preferneces, clicking ok in moon phase setting resets the moon module position and scale (even if the module position was locked)

Ok, hold on, can you give me detailed steps to reproduce this one please?

seeker wrote:
i also had a question about calendar module, it has two arrows on top as if you could flip trough the calendar for previous and next months, but nothing happens if i try to click on them

Eh... you have a knack for finding weird behavior lol

The arrows work fine here, and they do indeed change the current month in the calendar (or year, if you SHIFT + Left Click). There was indeed a scaling issue with the arrows in the v16.12 beta, but I fixed it for the official release. And its working here anyway.

What's the scale of your calendar module?

Also, what happens if you click a day number in the calendar?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 pm 

winstep wrote:

seeker wrote:

Ok, hold on, can you give me detailed steps to reproduce this one please?

you enable the moon module trough preferences-module-show this module on desktop checkbox, then exit preferences
you move the module with mouse, or change its scale trough context menu,
then open moon phase settings and click ok, and the position/scale will reset

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Eh... you have a knack for finding weird behavior lol

The arrows work fine here, and they do indeed change the current month in the calendar (or year, if you SHIFT + Left Click). There was indeed a scaling issue with the arrows in the v16.12 beta, but I fixed it for the official release. And its working here anyway.

What's the scale of your calendar module?

Also, what happens if you click a day number in the calendar?

calendar scale was 100%, but when i changed the scale it works fine, even back at 100%, only way to reproduce the bug seems to be to load my old settings

when i click on a date alarm manager opens (works even while arrows are bugged)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
you enable the moon module trough preferences-module-show this module on desktop checkbox, then exit preferences
you move the module with mouse, or change its scale trough context menu,
then open moon phase settings and click ok, and the position/scale will reset

Fixed too, thanks. All these issues had the same underlying cause. This is not specific to the moon module, by the way, it happens with all modules - and it's been like this since v16.12. :oops:

seeker wrote:
calendar scale was 100%, but when i changed the scale it works fine, even back at 100%, only way to reproduce the bug seems to be to load my old settings. when i click on a date alarm manager opens (works even while arrows are bugged)

Very strange. Can you please send your old settings to the Winstep support address so I can have a look?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 172 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next