Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v17.1?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Hi Jorge, you didn't respond to the screenshot I posted. Did I post what you wanted to see?

Sorry. Do you have any issues when clicking the Test Voice button in the Sounds tab? Do it several times, each time waiting for the voice to finish talking.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm 

I tested all of the voices-English and Italian, male and female. They all worked fine. The problem is, I can't figure out a way to reproduce it.

It just happens randomly. It only happened once since I reported it.

I noticed that a couple of times I bumped to activate WorkShelf immediately after the announcement malfunction and the sound didn't fire. I had to bump a couple more times for the sound to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, you always had problems with sounds on your system (re-read this thread HERE). Unfortunately it is not a Winstep problem per se (and nobody else is complaining), so I can't help you much with that.

Could even be a power saving thing (for instance, speakers are turned off until sound is detected, but there is a delay, so you only get to hear the end of the sound).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 am 

Okay. It never happened in the older versions that's why I reported it. The issue I had in the other version was similar but different. Hopefully if it's a system problem it won't happen again.

Once in a while when I click on the dock there is a 3 second delay before the "click" sound fires. This I know IS NOT a Winstep problem. Is that related to this?

I chalked that up to a hard drive going to sleep thus causing the delay. I have several external hard drives plugged in. My power supply is 300 watts with a dedicated Nvidia GT 630 video card. More info, Win 7, i5 CPU 3.20 GHz, PCI-EXI_2.

Oh, I also want to add that it also happens with WorkShelf too. I have a program that I use to search for files on my PC and all my external drives. Sometimes it takes quite some time before they all load which indicates to me that sometimes one or more of the drives is in hibernation and needs time to come out affecting the dock and WorkShelf. I remember that being addressed a long time ago.

I didn't think that would bleed into the sound not firing correctly since it didn't do it in the other versions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, seems like Windows Defender on Windows 10 is detecting the v17.11 beta of NextSTART as a Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl and automatically deleting the file.

I had one customer tell me this had happened to them and now it also happened to me on a Windows 10 Virtual Machine I have here. There seem to be no problems with NextSTART v17.11 and Defender on Windows 7 machines.

Needless to say, it is a False Positive and there is nothing suspicious about that NextSTART executable. VirusTotal (scans files with over 68 different AV engines) gives it a clean bill of health.

I've contacted Microsoft to report the false positive and am waiting to hear from them so I can make the official release.

If you're running Windows 10 and the latest beta of Winstep Xtreme, please let me know if you have - or not - been affected by this issue.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
I've contacted Microsoft to report the false positive and am waiting to hear from them so I can make the official release.

Well, this exceeded my wildest expectations in terms of response time, they already fixed the issue. That was REALLY quick. Final determination: not malware (of course :D ).

Lets hope the same issue doesn't crop up again on the next beta or official release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 pm 

Just so you know, my security software also flagged it as malicious. Of course I knew it was a false positive and had to keep telling my security software that it was okay.

I also sent the info (via their automatic reporting system) to them. It later came back that the file is okay.

BTW, you've only had one beta in the last couple of weeks right? Just want to make sure there wasn't another one that I missed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Just so you know, my security software also flagged it as malicious. Of course I knew it was a false positive and had to keep telling my security software that it was okay.

What's your security software?

Windy wrote:
BTW, you've only had one beta in the last couple of weeks right?

Right.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 pm 

winstep wrote:
What's your security software?

Comodo Firewall.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 am 

Oh boy, I can't believe this. My alarms didn't fire for my table tennis class and for the trash. Fortunately I woke up for both without the alarm. I was very lucky this time because usually I'm so exhausted that I need them to wake me up.

But here's the really weird part about it. Both times the alarm dialog appeared on the screen! It's as if somehow the song for my alarm was muted.

I just now went into the Trash alarm settings (right-click Clock on desktop > Manage Alarms > Highlighted the Trash alarm and then clicked Test Alarm.

When I did, I had to click 3 times before the song played. The dialog disappeared and reappeared after each click. :cry: :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the dialogs appeared, then the alarms DID fire.

The problem was that no sound was heard. As we already discussed, you seem to have an intermittent sound problem on your PC.

When testing the alarms like you did AND the dialogs appear but the music isn't heard, that's when you need to check your system to see if you can figure out what is going wrong.

First see if WsMMPlay.exe is running. Then check the Windows Sound Mixer, see if it appears there as well. Then check volume levels, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am 

Of course, :evil: I can't reproduce it. After many test runs, it fires correctly.

I got happy for a second while in the sound mixer when I saw something I'd never seen before. It was Alarm Manager.

I thought maybe somehow the level got changed and it was too low. But when I moved the slider and even muted it, there was no change in the volume.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm 

I hope you will find a good way to handle multi monitor setups, when multiple shelves are implemented.
Don't know, automatic mirroring or duplication of all docks/shelf as soon as the second monitor get activated? (would mirroring be less CPU intense?)
Or profiles, that can be loaded via hotkeys or desktop shortcuts?
Just a quick and easy way to switch from 1 monitor mode to 2 monitor mode, to have all functions on both.
This would be such a great improvement for anyone, who has a TV + desk/workspace setup.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
when i woke up my laptop from hybernation after a couple of minutes i got:

Well, just got another report of this happening from another user - except, this time, his license key is actually valid for the current beta.

So that #14 routine *is* indeed where the problem seems to happen. Now, WHY it happens and why it only happens sometimes (it never happens here, for instance) is another question.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, asking again: does anyone has any issues with the say sub-docks are positioned in relation to the parent docks in the beta? Can I assume it is indeed the better solution?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 231 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next