Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 149 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.1?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm 

An option for a timed/immediate lock of the computer when activating full screen clock would make this a lot more useful :)

Paulo Coelho, Warrior of the Light

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kotsos81 wrote:
An option for a timed/immediate lock of the computer when activating full screen clock would make this a lot more useful :)

You mean a screen saver, lol?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm 

winstep wrote:

You mean a screen saver, lol?

More like replacing the Lock Computer command.

Paulo Coelho, Warrior of the Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 am 

Vertical shelfs sounds great! Have fun making them Jorge, I for sure will have fun using them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 pm 

About the IC Media Player. Would it be possible to add drag and drop to play an audio file?
It would be great to be able to do a fast preview of a file like this, just dragging it over the icon.
If you feel that is a good idea, Jorge, perhaps you can add this in the polish stage?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a bad idea at all...

I was just wandering what the Poles had to do with it, until a light bulb turned on in my mind lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haven't implemented your ideas yet, but what I did so far was extended the drag & drop abilities of the built-in playlists.

You can now drag & drop one or more .m3u playlist files into the Audio listbox. This adds all the audio files in those m3u playlists to the playlist currently selected in the Playlist listbox (i.e.; basically you're merging playlists).

Likewise you can also drop a bunch of .m3u playlist files into the Playlists listbox: this will add those playlists to the list of available playlists.

One thing I noticed that I would like you guys opinions, though: as you know, I added a copy of the Playlist functionality in the Audio tab of the Alarms Manager to the Media Player Settings dialog. I did this so you don't have to jump from one place to the other and simply because it makes sense.

Of course, whatever changes you make to the playlist in the Audio tab of the Alarm Manager will be reflected in the Media Player playlist and vice-versa, since they are one and the same.

Anyway, what I noticed was that when going to the Media Player Settings dialog to select a new playlist I tended to click on the Playlist listbox instead of choosing the new playlist from the combo box (Audio File) above it, and would then press OK. This, of course, would not change the playlist used by the Media Player.

Does this also happen to you guys? Should I automatically change the file used by the Media Player when clicking on the Playlist listbox?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:56 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Does this also happen to you guys? Should I automatically change the file used by the Media Player when clicking on the Playlist listbox?

Yes, I think the same. It seems to be more natural to do it that way.
Because you want to put more time into this feature, I have thought of a few other things. You tell me if it makes sense:

- Like I said, drag and drop a file onto the icon for quick preview, without adding it to any playlist.
- You could use the media controls interface (that you get when you click the icon, after something is playing) as a drag and drop zone, with the difference that files dropped here would go to active playlist. That would save a step in navigation ( no need to click the gear icon, because we are so lazy :) )
- You could add drag and drop support for folders as well, if it is not to difficult, although having support for playlist files, makes it very easy to have complete control over playlists via 3d party app.
- I think also that it would be a time saver to offer the possibility of changing playlist on the fly. Here is what I have in mind: with the media controls displayed, at the moment, you can use the the mouse wheel to change the volume. Why not make it so if you hold down Alt modifier key for example, and use the scroll wheel you could go through the playlist and change the active one? (it would integrate well with the general idea of UI, as other features of the software use this approach for extra functionality). As a visual indicator of changing playlists, the same UI element that you plan for showing the volume change could be used.

That is what I had in mind yesterday, while working. Hope you find something useful in here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- Like I said, drag and drop a file onto the icon for quick preview, without adding it to any playlist.

I like this idea, as I said, so I will be implementing it. You can then even drop an .m3u playlist file into the icon and all the audio files will be played without being added to the internal playlists (you can kind of do this already by pointing to the .m3u or audio files directly in the text combo box of the Media Player Settings panel) .

Vlad wrote:
- You could use the media controls interface (that you get when you click the icon, after something is playing) as a drag and drop zone, with the difference that files dropped here would go to active playlist. That would save a step in navigation ( no need to click the gear icon, because we are so lazy :) )

Too much and a bit confusing, IMO, lol

Vlad wrote:
- You could add drag and drop support for folders as well, if it is not to difficult, although having support for playlist files, makes it very easy to have complete control over playlists via 3d party app.

Well, with the added drag & drop support I just added, you might as well just go inside the folder, select all the music files with CTRL+A and drag & drop them to the Audio listbox.

Vlad wrote:
- I think also that it would be a time saver to offer the possibility of changing playlist on the fly. Here is what I have in mind: with the media controls displayed, at the moment, you can use the the mouse wheel to change the volume. Why not make it so if you hold down Alt modifier key for example, and use the scroll wheel you could go through the playlist and change the active one? (it would integrate well with the general idea of UI, as other features of the software use this approach for extra functionality). As a visual indicator of changing playlists, the same UI element that you plan for showing the volume change could be used.

Not to kin on that either, sorry.

Here are some things I will probably change: I don't like the current method of having to manually save a playlist. I think I'm going to get rid of the Save buttons and immediately ask the user for the name of the Playlist when he clicks the New button. Files can then be saved automatically to the new playlist as you add them to the Audio list box.

Also, when you press Pause on the Media Control bar: currently to resume you have to click the icon and then press play on the control bar - I think clicking the icon should resume playing immediately instead.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:50 pm 

Well, I get where you are going, keeping things simple. I guess you are right, I have seen some programs becoming bloated because of trying to be too many things. Winstep suite is not a media player :)
I like the idea of doing automatic saving of playlist and resuming playback with just clicking on the icon. Also realy nice to be able to drop a playlist for quick playback, thank you for this idea!

One question regarding this part of your post, Jorge:

"Well, with the added drag & drop support I just added, you might as well just go inside the folder, select all the music files with CTRL+A and drag & drop them to the Audio listbox."

What happens if you want to add a few folders of music, like a few albums or few singers? ( I think most people have those organised in separate folders ) Going inside each would be a hassle. Again, not that important since you can just use pre-made lists.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer our posts Jorge, I can imagine that is not easy to divide yourself between so many tasks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
What happens if you want to add a few folders of music, like a few albums or few singers? ( I think most people have those organised in separate folders ) Going inside each would be a hassle. Again, not that important since you can just use pre-made lists.

Well, I suppose I could deal with dropped folders as a kind of .m3u file, i.e.; scan the folder and automatically add any mp3, wma, wav and mid files inside it.

So, imagine you have a folder named 'Mozart Greatest Rap Hits':

If you drop that folder into the Playlist lisbox, it creates a new playlist named 'Mozart Greatest Rap Hits' listing all the audio files inside that folder.

If, on the other hand, you have an existing playlist named 'Greatest Rap Songs' currently selected in the Playlists listbox and you drop that same folder into the *Audio* listbox, then all the audio files inside the 'Mozart Greatest Rap Hits' folder get added to the 'Greatest Rap Songs' playlist.

Makes sense?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm 

Yes, that makes perfect sense. With that I think the IC Mplayer is everything it needs to be. Thanks for your efforts Jorge!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:04 pm 

one issue/suggestion/question not connected to version, but i dont figure its worth a new topic

i have 2 docks one under another, and every time i add/remove an icon from one of them i need to realign them because the left edge of the dock also moves slightly (maybe because the dock aligns to some center?)

http://prntscr.com/j18tut

would it be possible to make dock have fixed left (or right) edge position and when icons are added it moves/extends/spreads just in one direction?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Seeker, guess I missed this post.

The only way to do that would be to align both docks completely to the left or right edges of the screen.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 149 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10