Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:24 pm 

nexter wrote:
seeker wrote:
Finaly trying out nextstart, have fev questions
1) is it possible to pin progtrams to taskbar area (default it seems to 'pin' them to quick launch)
2) is there a way to get standard windows right click menu for taskbar items:
http://prntscr.com/ji24id (cant for remember whats it called now, its on the tip of my tongue)
3) make this a show desktop button instead of hiding nrext start:
http://prntscr.com/ji28cz
4) change start button and quick start icon spacing/size without going into building a theme
5) how to change size of quickstart/tasklist/systray area (paralel to what happens when you unlock taskbar in windows)
http://prntscr.com/ji2a84

2) Nextstart Preferences -> Taskbar Tab -> Tasklist Setting -> Tasklist Actions - here you can select what actions left, middle and right mouse click perform on tasklist icons. As far as I'm aware this only applies to the tasklist, not sure about other taskbar items such as quick launch etc.

i remembered the word: jumplist, dont see any option here that shows standard windows jumplists

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
1) is it possible to pin progtrams to taskbar area (default it seems to 'pin' them to quick launch)

Yes, that is how it works. The tasklist and QL area are distinct/independent sections of the taskbar (you can even reorder them or even detach the tasklist from the taskbar).

No idea why you would see the way it works now as a problem? What matters is that the shortcut stays pinned to the taskbar, ready to be launched at the click of a button. :)

seeker wrote:
2) is there a way to get standard windows right click menu for taskbar items

Jumplists. Jumplist support is on the to-do list, the major problem being that Microsoft has been moving away from Win32 and so it doesn't expose a Win32 API that could be used to manipulate jumplists (and most of their new features).

However recently I came across a library that allows most of these new interfaces to be used directly from VB - that library is already behind the ability to hide buttons in the Windows taskbar when you enable the new 'Show minimized applications only' setting.

I just didn't have the time yet to see how it would help me to implement Jumplist support.

seeker wrote:
4) change start button and quick start icon spacing/size without going into building a theme

seeker wrote:
5) how to change size of quickstart/tasklist/systray area (paralel to what happens when you unlock taskbar in windows)

These two questions are related. The size of the taskbar is determined by the biggest item that needs to fit on it (i.e.; it will expand in size automatically to make sure everything fits).

You can select different sizes for tasklist and QL icons. The size of these icons have a direct influence on the size of the taskbar. The same can be said about the size of the Start button, which is theme dependent and therefore set by the skinner. Likewise for QL and tasklist buttons spacing.

NOW... about the beta. Any feedback so far?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am 

winstep wrote:
NOW... about the beta. Any feedback so far?

some of the overlays (mostly dirt and broken glass) seem impractical, other than that havent tested new features or had any issues

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
In addition I could also add animated water effects (like the ones that already exist for the dock) so the LCD display (just the display, not the bezel!) would act like a liquid surface: animated rain ripples, ondulation, and a combination of both. If you guys already tried the alpha of the Winstep Theme Builder, you will know what that would look like.

Well, I tried adding a water ripple effect to the alarms and it looked like crap. It looks great on the Theme Builder due to a combination of factors, but try as I might I couldn't get it to look right in the LCD alarms.

The Rain Drop effect on the other hand looks great. So I'll probably add that as an optional effect independent of the alarm overlays (i.e.; you will be able to use it with any overlay).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:
In addition I could also add animated water effects (like the ones that already exist for the dock) so the LCD display (just the display, not the bezel!) would act like a liquid surface: animated rain ripples, ondulation, and a combination of both. If you guys already tried the alpha of the Winstep Theme Builder, you will know what that would look like.

....The Rain Drop effect on the other hand looks great. So I'll probably add that as an optional effect independent of the alarm overlays (i.e.; you will be able to use it with any overlay).

I've tried the new Shatter / delete effect, with a variety of themes - won't work here for some reason. Do. all the other delete effects (all others are fine). Only appears when I delete an item on the dock or in the shelf by right clicking and using the menu item 'Remove from....' - odd or what?

Haven't got round to the media player and alarms yet but shall shortly.

Played with the Theme Builder alpha - good, but I wonder if for a beginner it's not a bit overwhelming perhaps? It's dead stable btw.

Oh, and that reminds me of something long, long ago Jorge. Whatever did happen to the idea of the Nexus cube? Which made me think - would it, at some point, be possible to have a 3-D Nexus cube (obviously, no sub-docks), freely rotatable thus giving 23 possible tiles for shortcuts with 4 tiles per side (with that many who'd need sub-docks anyway!?) plus the dock tile. (ISTR that MS? tried something similar experimentally some time ago along with a completely 3-D interface for everything (e.g., you could have windows at different 'depths' etc.), but it was considered too advanced for most users or something like that.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
I've tried the new Shatter / delete effect, with a variety of themes - won't work here for some reason. Do. all the other delete effects (all others are fine). Only appears when I delete an item on the dock or in the shelf by right clicking and using the menu item 'Remove from....' - odd or what?

Didn't see any problems here. Does it only happen with the Shatter delete effect? Do you see the normal explosion effect instead or nothing at all? How are you deleting, by dragging to the Recycle bin? Which Recycle bin, desktop or in-dock/in-Shelf? Where does the item come from (dock, shelf, non-regular Shelf tab?)

Two things to note though:

1. The delete effect is now like the other effect categories (mouseover, launch, attention) so it has to be individually defined for each dock (and the Shelf).

2. The effect will play where the original icon is. So, if you drag an icon to the recycle bin, the effect will NOT play on top of the recycle bin, but on the icon you dragged.

nexter wrote:
Whatever did happen to the idea of the Nexus cube? Which made me think - would it, at some point, be possible to have a 3-D Nexus cube

Not likely, Ric, sorry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Didn't see any problems here. Does it only happen with the Shatter delete effect? Do you see the normal explosion effect instead or nothing at all?

As I said, none of the delete effects seemed to work here, even though I ticked/un-ticked all the right boxes for dock and shelf. Didn't see anything at all.
winstep wrote:
How are you deleting, by dragging to the Recycle bin? Which Recycle bin, desktop or in-dock/in-Shelf? Where does the item come from (dock, shelf, non-regular Shelf tab?)

Dock item dragged to dock trash, reg. shelf item dragged to shelf trash.

But, maybe I just missed it? I'll try again and see.
winstep wrote:
Two things to note though:

1. The delete effect is now like the other effect categories (mouseover, launch, attention) so it has to be individually defined for each dock (and the Shelf).

2. The effect will play where the original icon is. So, if you drag an icon to the recycle bin, the effect will NOT play on top of the recycle bin, but on the icon you dragged.

Done 1) of course. Ah, 2) would explain it - of course had my eyes on the trash! :) So assume all's fine then. Even better that way than on the trash.

But, on the shelf (dock seems fine), dragging something into trash still sometimes leaves an empty insertion space next to trash. OTOH, that may be just me not being careful enough to hit the exact spot.

Oh, and since installing the beta, something odd seems to happen with one or two of my own meter mods with bars, in that when Winstep starts, at first the bars are not displaying. wait a few mins and do other things and they appear.

On a positive note (before the beta), got the in-shelf/dock recycler anim working again, both with default and custom icon set. Alas, there's one slight issue with the custom icons. They are straight conversions from the original NeXT alphas, and as such they are 64 pixel square which NeXT superimposes in a 48 pixel icon space at full size. Alas, the dock/shelf squeeze them down to an over all size of 48 pixels, which makes them quite small of course. I can overcome this, in a limited way, by cropping the icons right to the edges of the actual images, making them 51 or 52 pixels square so not too much of a reduction to resize them down to 48 - at least, with the standard green recycler, but the Black Hole images go nearly right to the edges of the 64 pixel canvas and would look rather odd reduced to 48.

Oh and does the desktop custom anim expect 48 pixel images also? (Given everything is set for 48 pixel icons.)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Whatever did happen to the idea of the Nexus cube? Which made me think - would it, at some point, be possible to have a 3-D Nexus cube

Not likely, Ric, sorry.

Never mind, I thought not. :) It seems like a good idea at first that could save screen estate, but when you think it through, it's more eye candy as in practice it would be rather slow and clumsy to use.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Oh, and since installing the beta, something odd seems to happen with one or two of my own meter mods with bars, in that when Winstep starts, at first the bars are not displaying. wait a few mins and do other things and they appear.

Can you post a screenshot of the modules with the bars? Preferably two, one where the bars have not shown up yet, and another with the bars showing. Might give me a clue.

nexter wrote:
Oh and does the desktop custom anim expect 48 pixel images also? (Given everything is set for 48 pixel icons.)

For the Recycle Bin desktop module? If you're using WsTrashAni.png (or generally wherever you use PNG files instead of icons) it doesn't matter, the source images are automatically resized to the proper sizes.

In fact, given that so many systems are running with high DPI these days, the bigger the source images are, the better.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Can you post a screenshot of the modules with the bars? Preferably two, one where the bars have not shown up yet, and another with the bars showing. Might give me a clue.

Will do when I'm back on laptop.

Meanwhile, everything's just fine with the delete effects - just didn't spot them. However, seems like a lot of effort for something that's not going to happen that often - I mean, just how often does one delete anything from within the shelf, let alone the dock? Only very rarely here. Nonetheless, I like the Shatter and Splatter fx especially and shall keep them. :)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

For the Recycle Bin desktop module? If you're using WsTrashAni.png (or generally wherever you use PNG files instead of icons) it doesn't matter, the source images are automatically resized to the proper sizes.

In fact, given that so many systems are running with high DPI these days, the bigger the source images are, the better.

Right. Yes, done the WsTrashAni.png files for both standard and Black Hole recyclers, 6 images, 64x64 pixels.

Funny thing is, trying out the in-shelf Black Hole Icons anim, it doesn't look too much too small, and unlike their .ping descendants they correspond almost exactly to the NeXT originals while the .pings look way too black. The (in-shelf) anim looks a bit odd though when you hover a file over it - it cycles, going into reverse, etc.

Btw, why does the in-shelf recycler anim use 7 icons? The WsTrashES.* and WSTrash1.* are identical images.

Have also tried out the Alarm clock overlays, think the best are the splintered glass, raindrops and condensation ones. Some, esp. dirt, just don't seem worthwhile. All very nice and stable, no problems with anything I've tried.

Also tried the little media player - not bad, all the new stuff seems to work perfectly. Got a suggestion/idea though - could it all be fitted into an icon, á la the old OmniCD Player on NeXT? (Can post a grab.) Then it could sit quietly and easily controllable in a dock or even shelf. The only thing is, that was done on a 64x64 canvas, with parts of the image going right near the edges but, like the recycler, was displayed full size on a 64x64 dock tile in the dock's task list.

Now, anything else to check out? :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Meanwhile, everything's just fine with the delete effects - just didn't spot them. However, seems like a lot of effort for something that's not going to happen that often - I mean, just how often does one delete anything from within the shelf, let alone the dock? Only very rarely here. Nonetheless, I like the Shatter and Splatter fx especially and shall keep them. :)

You know what they say, 'the devil is in the details'. :)

Not only that, it is far more elegant this way than it was before. It makes sense, like the last piece of the puzzle falling into place, especially now, with the new effect visualization feature on the Effects tabs.

From time to time I would see a cool effect and I would think 'Ah, this would be so perfect as a delete animation!' Well, now I was able to add them all. :)

There's only one fly in the ointment at this point, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet: the old explosion animation was global and completely separate from the other effects. It could, however, be replaced with a custom animation: right click the Recycle Bin and select 'Recycle Bin Settings'. See?

That's no longer used, so I should get rid of all that. However, you then lose the ability to customize the delete effect with your own animation, and I hate removing features.

nexter wrote:
Have also tried out the Alarm clock overlays, think the best are the splintered glass, raindrops and condensation ones. Some, esp. dirt, just don't seem worthwhile. All very nice and stable, no problems with anything I've tried.

Hey, I like 'Splintered Glass' and 'Raindrops' as names better than 'Broken Glass' and 'Water Drops' - I'll rename the overlays to that. The drawbacks of not being a native English speaker. :)

What I like about 'Dirt' is that it is the only overlay that I was able to keep 100% opaque (the others that cover important parts of the display need a degree of alpha transparency to see what is beneath). So it is very solid, almost 3D, especially when combined with the animated Rain effect I just added to the Alarms, which plays beneath the overlays.

Also, it's interesting to see how we are all different: Seeker seems to hate the splintered glass overlay. :)

nexter wrote:
Also tried the little media player - not bad, all the new stuff seems to work perfectly.

I made sure it is now part of the default dock when you first install the applications. It is genuinely a very useful general-use applet, and I like how it works.

One thing that I just noticed is getting a bit on my nerves now that I added the volume indicator to the media control bar: before, the Pause button would appear in the middle of the bar, and because the bar was centered on the mouse pointer, Pause was also right below the mouse pointer. Now it no longer is, and you have to move the mouse pointer diagonally to get to it.

Don't know. Perhaps it's just me and I'll get used to it.

nexter wrote:
Got a suggestion/idea though - could it all be fitted into an icon, á la the old OmniCD Player on NeXT?

No can do. First, that would piss off touch users (eheh), second, it would be a lot of work (adding fine control to a specific icon) for something that would not even be practical to use on Magnifying docks: I can already imagine you muttering under your breath while chasing that 4x4 pixel block in the icon that stops the audio as the icon magnifies and moves away from you lol

Also, some Nexus free users have their docks so filled with stuff that the icon size has been reduced to the minimum 16x16 pixel. Now imagine THAT! :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. You guys have no idea how important it is for me to be able to discuss ideas, listen to opinions and feedback, etc... This is one of the things I miss the most about John, Ric: I never met anyone I could brainstorm with like him. :)

Getting more feedback is the only reason I moved betas from the closed Beta Section of the forums to here.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, two more questions for you guys:

1. Did you notice that you can open the Effects Panel from the Effects tab so you can visualize the effects all at once instead of one by one? When you mouse over the icon itself in the little preview windows, the mouse pointer turns into a hand.

I hope this is obvious enough, so I don't have to add an 'Effects Panel' button.

2. I'm not sure how many of you already noticed this, but when you drag an ICO, PNG or TIF over an icon in the dock, shelf or the QL section of the NextSTART taskbar, the target icon will begin to glow to indicate that it will accept that drop as a replacement image.

Now, this is, IMO, very useful visual feedback: it tells you that whatever you drop is going *into* the icon, and not be added to the dock or as another item. So useful that I think I might be wasting it by limiting it to icon customization - perhaps I should use it instead to signal that whatever you are dropping (for instance, a document to be launched by the target application, or a media file to the Media Player icon) is going to go *into* the icon.

But then we lose the ability to single out an icon customization operation. What do you guys think?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
One thing that I just noticed is getting a bit on my nerves now that I added the volume indicator to the media control bar: before, the Pause button would appear in the middle of the bar, and because the bar was centered on the mouse pointer, Pause was also right below the mouse pointer. Now it no longer is, and you have to move the mouse pointer diagonally to get to it.

Just fixed this by making the Media Control Bar pop up one button to the left, so the Pause button is once again just below the mouse pointer.

Something else I was thinking: add a 'Paused' image overlay to the Media Player icon when the audio is paused?

Not that it has much impact, but while the Media Player is paused the Media Control Bar remains loaded in memory (despite not being visible) and WmPlayer.exe remains running.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
....However, seems like a lot of effort for something that's not going to happen that often.... Nonetheless, I like the Shatter and Splatter fx especially and shall keep them. :)

You know what they say, 'the devil is in the details'. :)

LOL! Yep, it certainly is Jorge. :)
winstep wrote:
Not only that, it is far more elegant this way than it was before. It makes sense, like the last piece of the puzzle falling into place, especially now, with the new effect visualization feature on the Effects tabs.

From time to time I would see a cool effect and I would think 'Ah, this would be so perfect as a delete animation!' Well, now I was able to add them all. :)

It is, and not just more elegant but also neater looking, easier to use and plain more logical. And you can keep adding to your heart's content too. ;)
winstep wrote:
There's only one fly in the ointment at this point, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet: the old explosion animation was global and completely separate from the other effects. It could, however, be replaced with a custom animation: right click the Recycle Bin and select 'Recycle Bin Settings'. See?

That's no longer used, so I should get rid of all that. However, you then lose the ability to customize the delete effect with your own animation, and I hate removing features.

So why not compromise and turn it into something that simply enables the custom anim?

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Hey, I like 'Splintered Glass' and 'Raindrops' as names better than 'Broken Glass' and 'Water Drops' - I'll rename the overlays to that. The drawbacks of not being a native English speaker. :)

You know it makes sense. ;) Actually, I thought that's what they were called, not having the thing in front of me at the time, but glad you like the names. Yeah, does make sense and sounds more picturesque. :)

winstep wrote:
What I like about 'Dirt' is that it is the only overlay that I was able to keep 100% opaque (the others that cover important parts of the display need a degree of alpha transparency to see what is beneath). So it is very solid, almost 3D, especially when combined with the animated Rain effect I just added to the Alarms, which plays beneath the overlays.

Also, it's interesting to see how we are all different: Seeker seems to hate the splintered glass overlay. :)

I see what you mean. And indeed, we are all different, it's always a matter of diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. :)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Also tried the little media player - not bad, all the new stuff seems to work perfectly.

I made sure it is now part of the default dock when you first install the applications. It is genuinely a very useful general-use applet, and I like how it works.

I'm now convinced it is, having played with it. :) Though for more serious music I would always go to my separate media player.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Got a suggestion/idea though - could it all be fitted into an icon, á la the old OmniCD Player on NeXT?

No can do. First, that would piss off touch users (eheh), second, it would be a lot of work (adding fine control to a specific icon) for something that would not even be practical to use on Magnifying docks: I can already imagine you muttering under your breath while chasing that 4x4 pixel block in the icon that stops the audio as the icon magnifies and moves away from you lol

LOLOL! See, it'd even provide endless hours of added games/entertainment to those with magnifying docks. ;) (Absolutely loathe that effect myself.) But yes, see your point, also re: lots of work. Was just a thought, as it was something so simple to do on NeXT.
winstep wrote:
Also, some Nexus free users have their docks so filled with stuff that the icon size has been reduced to the minimum 16x16 pixel. Now imagine THAT! :)

LOL! Wow, even more fun and entertainment for some users! :P Horrendous thought in itself actually. I mean, how can you possibly fill up a dock like that? Myself, I only have my most used apps plus a few system things and networking stuff in docks, and that really isn't a lot normally. Some other apps/utils go into the shelf, along with the odd folder (esp. when I organise projects in a tab, where when working with one of these projects I tend to use the shelf as a virtual File Viewer), and other stuff goes into menus as most appropriate.
winstep wrote:
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. You guys have no idea how important it is for me to be able to discuss ideas, listen to opinions and feedback, etc... This is one of the things I miss the most about John, Ric: I never met anyone I could brainstorm with like him. :)

I well appreciate how important feedback is, having done a bit of coding under NeXT and also beta tested a number of apps (inc. of course NS/WS from the beginning until I got too ill), some as lead and some also paid. These things are vital, without feedback - the more the merrier! - and discussion, exchange of ideas etc. etc. it's very difficult for any app to progress and improve. Yeah, I can well believe that John's absence is a great loss for you Jorge, and indeed to us all.
winstep wrote:
Getting more feedback is the only reason I moved betas from the closed Beta Section of the forums to here.

Bummer. That's a sad state of affairs. :/ But, I've noticed since at last coming back that even general discussion is not what it once used to be in the old days of Yahoo groups and IRC especially. OTOH, apart from the scene having changed generally, we have to also bear in mind that Winstep is now a mature suite of apps, and as such sadly won't generate the kind of buzz a new app would. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

What's happening now is it only happens the first time Winstep starts into the affected theme, and the text is smaller too. (Screen grab below, I hope.) It now only goes to normal display if I change themes and return to the affected theme. The same happens with the Moon Phase mod now - was a heck of a job getting all the text to line up properly with seemingly random (I know they're not) X co-ordinates - when Winstep starts into that theme, all the text is jumbled up in various positions but set right again when I change themes as for the meter mod. (The other meter mod seems to have stopped going off the rail. ;) )

Attachment:
BatteryMod-NoBar.png
BatteryMod-NoBar.png [ 1.45 KiB | Viewed 15788 times ]
Attachment:
BatteryMod-WithBar.png
BatteryMod-WithBar.png [ 1.68 KiB | Viewed 15788 times ]

Sorry, no screen grab for the MP mod yet. There's something a little odd about it also in that it can sometimes be at wide variance with the Win values in the Sys Tray. Sometimes far more pessimistic (which the latter can also be a bit), rarely more optimistic. Towards the end of battery life, the battery's performance outlasts both. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, two more questions for you guys:

1. Did you notice that you can open the Effects Panel from the Effects tab so you can visualize the effects all at once instead of one by one? When you mouse over the icon itself in the little preview windows, the mouse pointer turns into a hand.

I hope this is obvious enough, so I don't have to add an 'Effects Panel' button.

Noticed and defo no point adding another button AFAIC.
winstep wrote:
2. I'm not sure how many of you already noticed this, but when you drag an ICO, PNG or TIF over an icon in the dock, shelf or the QL section of the NextSTART taskbar, the target icon will begin to glow to indicate that it will accept that drop as a replacement image.

Now, this is, IMO, very useful visual feedback: it tells you that whatever you drop is going *into* the icon, and not be added to the dock or as another item. So useful that I think I might be wasting it by limiting it to icon customization - perhaps I should use it instead to signal that whatever you are dropping (for instance, a document to be launched by the target application, or a media file to the Media Player icon) is going to go *into* the icon.

But then we lose the ability to single out an icon customization operation. What do you guys think?

Agreed, quite useful. Not quite sure though what you mean re: icon customisation op.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next