Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: License conditions
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:59 pm 

Considering buying the Ultimate version of Nexus to replace Object Dock and Rocket Dock as neither are really compatible now with Win 10 64 bit versions.

What I would like to know is how many computers can I install it on. Can't find the info anywhere on the web site although it seems to include just about everything else

Post subject: Re: License conditions
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you the only one using those computers?

If not, and if it's no more than 5 computers, then perhaps you should get the Home Network license. Otherwise, if it's just a desktop PC and a laptop, get the single user license.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 am 

Thanks for the info. I actually have a home network of 10 machines, all just for personal use, They have grown over the years as it is my hobby/pastime since retiring.

I will give it some thought over the next couple of days as £39 is quite expensive in comparison to Object Dock and Rocket dock although I do see it is much more flexible. However I just want a dock which will work with 64 bit Win 10 and is hidden unless I mouse-over.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

alanchippy wrote:
Thanks for the info. I actually have a home network of 10 machines, all just for personal use, They have grown over the years as it is my hobby/pastime since retiring.

I will give it some thought over the next couple of days as £39 is quite expensive in comparison to Object Dock and Rocket dock although I do see it is much more flexible. However I just want a dock which will work with 64 bit Win 10 and is hidden unless I mouse-over.

You're comparing a cheap and nasty, tasteless 'Golden Delicious' apple with a Julie mango, the king of fruits - to paraphrase the old apple vs. oranges adage. :)

Sure, it's pennies (virtually) vs. a few quid, but when you pay pennies you get crap. For what you're getting for the money, £39 is a real bargain mate. (And I'm someone who has to count the pennies at that.)

But before you part with your plastic, why not give the 30-day trial version of Winstep Xtreme a test drive? It does so much more and is a very powerful tool that can enhance productivity as well as make using your computers a whole lot easier and more fun. And the extra few quid for Winstep Xtreme make that an even bigger bargain.

Whatever you decide in the end, have fun.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alanchippy wrote:
I will give it some thought over the next couple of days as £39 is quite expensive in comparison to Object Dock and Rocket dock

Only by comparison, because it's not at all expensive for all that Nexus Ultimate does. :) But what are you comparing it with?

Rocketdock was freeware. It was and still is an amazing dock, but it had the problem of being free - as it happens with nearly all free stuff were people's work is not financially rewarded, the authors have moved on to other (better paying) things (they're making games now).

ObjectDock, on the other hand, used to cost $19.95 and it was well worth the money at the time. Guess it's quite telling - and sad - that even Stardock itself thinks it's worth peanuts now.

Both docks have stopped being developed years ago, while Nexus is still thriving.

In the end, I guess the old adage is still true: you get what you pay for. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 am 

Yes I take what both of you say into consideration and accept that your points of view are valid. The point about bells and whistles is quite academic to me as I only want a simple dock which can be hidden until I mouse-over. All the fancier stuff is not really of interest to me.

Also with 10 machines, most of which are not used all the time it is

The points about current development is very true as that is why I am trying to find an alternative to Rocket Dock and Object dock (I paid US$9.99 by the way) both of which fulfilled my requirements when using Windows 32 bit. The problems stated when I updated to 64 bit where some programs are not dockable without jumping through hoops.

I will most likely download the trial version when I have some time to devote to it properly and see how it works out. I might think about only installing on a few instead of the whole 10 machines.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them and they always give food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am 

Don't know what happened in my post with the truncated sentence which should have read:-

Also with 10 machines, most of which are not used all the time it is quite a cost for what is a marginal gain for most of the machines which are used only for entertainment ie connected to TVs in living room. bedrooms, caravan etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alanchippy wrote:
All the fancier stuff is not really of interest to me.

That's what they all say... until they begin to discover all the 'hidden' little features. :wink: :lol:

alanchippy wrote:
The points about current development is very true as that is why I am trying to find an alternative to Rocket Dock and Object dock (I paid US$9.99 by the way)

See? Since when is a highly complex and powerful application like Nexus Ultimate or even ObjectDock worth less than $10?! In all these years this is the only thing that REALLY pissed me off regarding Stardock. It's their software, they're entitled to even give it away for free if that is what they want - but giving it away would be a thousand times better than what they are doing now.

It cheapens the value of these type of applications in the eyes of consumers and so it hurts ALL of us, not just them.

Just so you have an idea, Winstep has been in business for nearly 20 years, and 20 years ago the price of applications like Nexus Ultimate was STILL in the $20-$25 range.

Do you know of any other product that remained the same price for 20 years, despite the ever increasing cost of living, inflation, etc? I don't. Only software. lol

These days a *dinner* costs more than $25, and it doesn't even have to be a very fancy dinner. The experience will last you one hour and will have been forgotten a few hours later, while applications like Winstep Nexus Ultimate will be right there on your desktop, increasing your productivity and being used *every single day*, for years to come.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Hope you realize it has nothing to do with you :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
alanchippy wrote:
All the fancier stuff is not really of interest to me.

That's what they all say... until they begin to discover all the 'hidden' little features. :wink: :lol:

Indeed. :) Even NeXus on its own has a fair few tricks up its sleeve.
winstep wrote:
alanchippy wrote:
The points about current development is very true as that is why I am trying to find an alternative to Rocket Dock and Object dock (I paid US$9.99 by the way)

See? Since when is a highly complex and powerful application like Nexus Ultimate or even ObjectDock worth less than $10?! ....

It cheapens the value of these type of applications in the eyes of consumers and so it hurts ALL of us, not just them.

Sure, and in the end it means no such apps will be developed any further, sadly. Thjey just hang around like ghosts for a time and then, eventually, they disappear altogether. We've seen all that happen before with a variety of apps.
winstep wrote:
Just so you have an idea, Winstep has been in business for nearly 20 years, and 20 years ago the price of applications like Nexus Ultimate was STILL in the $20-$25 range.

Do you know of any other product that remained the same price for 20 years, despite the ever increasing cost of living, inflation, etc? I don't. Only software. lol

These days a *dinner* costs more than $25, and it doesn't even have to be a very fancy dinner. The experience will last you one hour and will have been forgotten a few hours later, while applications like Winstep Nexus Ultimate will be right there on your desktop, increasing your productivity and being used *every single day*, for years to come.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Hope you realize it has nothing to do with you :)

Well, given the *real* rate of inflation and decline in the buying power of money, an app that cost $20 20 years ago should by now, to remain at the same level in real terms, cost about 50-60 bucks. So, NeXus at less than the price of a meal out has to be fantastic VFM and actually is cheaper than it would have been 20 years ago.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm 

I accept the points you raised and see where you are coming from. I also appreciate that Rocket Dock has not been updated for many years and that Object Dock is in a similar position not having been updated for Win 10 or 64 bit programs.

I am a pensioner living on the state pension/savings after politicians ruined my personal pension some 8 years ago and forced a close down. For this reason I need to justify any expenditure to myself. I am not pleading poverty but just have to be careful with my available assets.

I will try out Nexus and will consider the other packages offered here but only on maybe 5 machines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:20 pm 

Just to update you. Have been away for a week which explains why I have not actioned this earlier.

I took the advice and have just purchase Nexus Ultimate (5 license version).

If I get any problems I will get back again but in the meantime thanks for all your input.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:46 pm 

Up and running. Just one question. Is there a facility to adjust the horizontal position of a sub dock. One sub dock is positioned far over to the right with lots of space on the left.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

alanchippy wrote:
Up and running. Just one question. Is there a facility to adjust the horizontal position of a sub dock. One sub dock is positioned far over to the right with lots of space on the left.

Hhmm, hard to figure what's happening. Could you post a screen grab - that would make it a lot easier to see what the problem is. You know the old saying, 'a picture's worth a thousand worms....' ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alanchippy wrote:

One has to be careful with the terms used, or you risk confusing everyone.

Do you really mean a sub-dock or it's actually a dock? Sub-docks are always closed and only pop-up when you click their parent icon in the parent dock. :-P

Anyway, assuming you mean a dock, check out the Alignment setting in the Position tab of the Dock Properties panel.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:41 am 

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Yes I do mean the sub-dock. I was aware of the setting for the main dock position and have it set to centralised as the default.

I am looking to see if there is a setting somewhere to centralise the 5 sub docks I have created when they open.

Not too easy to get a screen dump of the problem as the sub dock closes whenever you next click the mouse button or press a key. I hope the description is sufficient.

Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next