Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: In Need of Your Opinion (Irrelevant Topic)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am 

Would you mind telling me which barrier is better, an electric fence or traditional wood pet gates? I am having some difficulty keeping an eye on my beagle who keeps on sneaking out in the backyard. I am afraid that he will get lost in the neighborhood again especially now that its summer -- he loves to stay outside and play there for a long period of time.

Post subject: Re: In Need of Your Opinion (Irrelevant Topic)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Your doggie is the best friend you're ever likely to have. Very few humans are capable of the unconditional devotion that a dog is capable of and gives so willingly. Any kind of electrical fence would be pure cruelty. How would you like it if, say, your neighbours put electrical fences all around their properties and everytime you even accidentally brushed against one of the fences you got shocked? I know I most certainly wouldn't like that. I fact, I would become quite aggressive. :)
So, do yourself and your beagle a favour and steer clear of electrical fences, that would be my advice. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know, Ric, the jury is still out on whether joyjoy8 is a very smart advertising bot or not (for instance, each time he posts he does so from a different IP address). My instinct says it is (just removed a URL from his message) but until I'm sure or he replies I won't risk doing anything about it.

But if he doesn't reply to this chances are he is a very smart bot planted on the forums.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah, I've been nurturing that suspicion too but decided to give him/her the benefit of the doubt, especially as some poor dog potentially might be facing a great deal of unpleasantness.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 am 

I'd say traditional wooden gates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:05 pm 

I have never heard, as far as I remember, of someone who uses electric fence for their dog. That seems a bit like an overly extreme measure. And it will probably take a few electric shocks before it realizes it can not pass through, which seems cruel. I'm aware that horses, cows and sheeps do have to deal with electric fences and nobody seems to care about them getting shocks. I think what we did to prevent our dog from digging is to some pepper where it has the habit to dig.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:48 am 

As for me, the dog needs to be trained so that it does not run away from the territory, and not terrorize the animal with an electric shock. It's a nightmare and animal cruelty. You can simply devote an hour a day to training or visiting a dog handler - then the problem will be solved by itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : Off Topic  [ 7 posts ]