Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need the opinion(s) of a native English speaker (lol).

So, you guys know that 'Span the full screen width when docked' setting for the Shelf, enabled by default, right?

Ok, I want to add that toggle to the Shelf's main right click context menu. As you also know, the menus have no checkmark symbols, so the option must spell out its current state as well (e.g.; "Lock icons" or "Unlock icons").

So, I need an on/off phrase for the 'dock full width' option, but I can't think of one that would sound correct for both the on and off terms (also, now that we have vertical shelves we can no longer use the word 'width')

For instance: 'Span edge' ? But then what would then be the opposite of this? 'Unspan edge' which doesn't even exist?! LOL

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Need the opinion(s) of a native English speaker (lol).

So, you guys know that 'Span the full screen width when docked' setting for the Shelf, enabled by default, right?

Ok, I want to add that toggle to the Shelf's main right click context menu. As you also know, the menus have no checkmark symbols, so the option must spell out its current state as well (e.g.; "Lock icons" or "Unlock icons").

So, I need an on/off phrase for the 'dock full width' option, but I can't think of one that would sound correct for both the on and off terms (also, now that we have vertical shelves we can no longer use the word 'width')

For instance: 'Span edge' ? But then what would then be the opposite of this? 'Unspan edge' which doesn't even exist?! LOL

Lol! Well, we could always innovate by inventing a completely new term. ;) (But then we'd have to explain to everybody what it means! LOL!)

Hmm, but yeah, this is a tricky one Jorge. The nearest thing I can think of off hand would be, 'Use Full Span' and 'Uncouple Full Span' - not great, but....

I'll give it some more thought. What would you use in Pork 'n' Cheese? (Sometimes another language has a perfectly good term for something that another expresses only clumsily if at all - that's how loanwords came about, largely. :) )

Feck! Why does this darn thing insist on replacing loan words with spam!? OK, let's try saying 'borrowed' words instead.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
I'll give it some more thought. What would you use in Pork 'n' Cheese?

"Abranger a largura total do ecrã"

Doesn't help either lol

nexter wrote:
Feck! Why does this darn thing insist on replacing spam words with spam!? OK, let's try saying 'borrowed' words instead.

Aahahaha. Some years ago there was a Kitchen spam infection on the forums (on forums everywhere, really). A famous mafioso British character with business dealings in China was behind it, and he was paying poor Chinese people peanuts to bypass the protections forums have against the creation of new user accounts by spam bots.

So, my way of dealing with it was to automatically turn a ton of phrases and words that are normally only used by spam bots into the word 'spam'. I also made sure those phrases related to kitchen spam were all replaced with '<british character> is a crook' lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:30 am 

So, what's wrong with:

Full Width On/Off or: Screen Width On/Off or: Full Screen Width On/Off or: Max Width On/Off

or: Max Screen Width: On / Off or: Max Screen Width: Yes/No or: Full Screen Width: Yes/No

or: Span Screen On/Off or: Span Screen Yes/No Or: Span Screen Width Yes/No Or: Span Screen Width On/Off
???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nothing wrong, except the options should start with a verb, e.g.; lock/unlock icons, enable/disable <x>, etc...

Also, now that the Shelves can also be vertical, you can no longer use the word 'width' (unless you also use 'height' when the Shelf is vertical).

So, 'Enable Span Screen' doesn't sound very good (to me) nor does it really describe what that option does.

I suppose you could use 'Span Screen', but then what do you use to disable that option? 'Unspan' is not a real word LOL

Is it? :oops:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
I'll give it some more thought. What would you use in Pork 'n' Cheese?

"Abranger a largura total do ecrã"
Doesn't help either lol

LOL! No, not a lot. ;) That's quite a mouthful. (Wish I could remember Portuguese - learned Brazilian Port. at my grandfather's feet as a kid and then totally forgot it when I turned teenager or thereabouts, apart from a few words and little phrases that somehow stuck. Macaqueno, me. ;) )

Of course, as soon as I came offline it came to me - 'Use Full Span' and 'Undo Full Span'. Obvious, really. Or perhaps 'Full Span On'/'Full Span Off', though that feels a bit clumsy as it's not really an 'on/off' type of thing.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Feck! Why does this darn thing insist on replacing spam words with spam!? OK, let's try saying 'borrowed' words instead.

Aahahaha. Some years ago there was a Kitchen spam infection on the forums (on forums everywhere, really). .....

So, my way of dealing with it was to automatically turn a ton of phrases and words that are normally only used by spam bots into the word 'spam'. I also made sure those phrases related to kitchen spam were all replaced with '<british character> is a crook' lol

LOL! Of course! Remember that affair now. Figured it had to be something like that. 'Spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam, and spam.' 'Oh no, not the comfy chair!' ;) (From a couple of well-known 'Monty Python' sketches.)

Isn't the response to your RFC just overwhelming Jorge? Only DanDaBear with a some suggestions. Mind you, hot summer (at least here), holiday season and all that, doesn't help I suppose.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Nothing wrong, except the options should start with a verb, e.g.; lock/unlock icons, enable/disable <x>, etc...

Also, now that the Shelves can also be vertical, you can no longer use the word 'width' (unless you also use 'height' when the Shelf is vertical).

So, 'Enable Span Screen' doesn't sound very good (to me) nor does it really describe what that option does.

I suppose you could use 'Span Screen', but then what do you use to disable that option? 'Unspan' is not a real word LOL

Is it? :oops:

Oops, didn't see this earlier. Nope, 'unspan' is not a proper word and doesn't really make sense. But, how about 'Enable Full Span'/'Disable Full Span'?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am 

I am not an native english speaker ( in case you guys had any doubts...), but I`ll give
it a try:

Fill available space/Contract
Use existing space/Contract
Span edge/Condense edge
Span edge/Compress edge
Extent edge/Contract edge
Extent available/Contract
Use maximum space/Use minimum space
Expand to full/Contract to minimum
Stretch to full/Shrink to previous

... and so on

Last edited by Vlad on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 am 

Also, in regard to the new beta coming:

Being that is such a big change to the code, with all the bugs that comes with it, I have decided to spend some time testing (as much as I can during one week).
So Jorge, it will be very helpful if you would post a list of things to check or pointers on how to go about this task to achieve maximum efficiency.
I hope that others will manage to provide some help with the testing, after all we do enjoy our software to be bug free and rock stable....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
So Jorge, it will be very helpful if you would post a list of things to check or pointers on how to go about this task to achieve maximum efficiency.

Well, basically *everything* related to the Shelf will have to be tested again. I'm doing my own tests here as I change the code, of course, but there's always a chance I will miss something.

I have been simplifying and streamlining the 18 year old code as I go too, but even that can lead to unforeseen problems.

I've also made some changes to the way icons are displayed on (e.g.) a Shelf at the top of the screen. Previously the first row of icons was always next to the top screen edge, now it's always next to the tabs at the bottom (this is something that will only make a difference when the Shelf is expanded or set to show more than one row of icons).

There was also a ton of changes related to the proportions of the Shelf, which might affect some themes out there.

I will probably release a private beta here first (i.e.; you will have to download manually) and turn that into a public beta later if all goes well. Need to do that before the 10th as I will be going on a week long holiday then.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Well, basically *everything* related to the Shelf will have to be tested again. I'm doing my own tests here as I change the code, of course, but there's always a chance I will miss something.

I have been simplifying and streamlining the 18 year old code as I go too, but even that can lead to unforeseen problems.

I've also made some changes to the way icons are displayed on (e.g.) a Shelf at the top of the screen. Previously the first row of icons was always next to the top screen edge, now it's always next to the tabs at the bottom (this is something that will only make a difference when the Shelf is expanded or set to show more than one row of icons).

There was also a ton of changes related to the proportions of the Shelf, which might affect some themes out there.

I will probably release a private beta here first (i.e.; you will have to download manually) and turn that into a public beta later if all goes well. Need to do that before the 10th as I will be going on a week long holiday then.

All ready and prepared - major backup today so no problem re: pvt. beta even if it were to nuke everything. ;) Been doing a lot of testing of different shelves/themes lately and discovered a few probs/inconsistencies (I won't say buglets!) but you have enough on your plate for now so I'll wait.

But wait Jorge - a whole week's holiday? My goodness! You sure you can survive that long away from Winstep coding and all that? :P More than well deserved though I should say. Hope you're going somewhere nice and relaxing and will have a great time unwinding. Do yourself a favour - leave anything like tablets, laptops, smartphones etc. behind, switch off and unplug yourself. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Do yourself a favour - leave anything like tablets, laptops, smartphones etc. behind, switch off and unplug yourself. :)

I wish I could lol

As for the buglets, I've been fixing a lot of stuff as well... you'll have to see if those buglets persist in the next beta.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Do yourself a favour - leave anything like tablets, laptops, smartphones etc. behind, switch off and unplug yourself. :)

I wish I could lol

As for the buglets, I've been fixing a lot of stuff as well... you'll have to see if those buglets persist in the next beta.

If you muster the will to do it, you can. And, after the initial 'shock' of withdrawal to the system you'll feel - just wonderful and relaxed, Jorge. 'Chillax', as they like to say (though I hate all these modern Americanisms, inc. 'high fives' and all that!). :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
I want to add that toggle to the Shelf's main right click context menu. As you also know, the menus have no checkmark symbols, so the option must spell out its current state as well (e.g.; "Lock icons" or "Unlock icons").

Drink deeply of the dynamicity of your menus. I presume at the time the menu is drawn, it knows (or it can know) if the context menu is relative to a vertical or horizontal shelf. Use that!

Horizontal

Expand to full width
Restore normal width

Vertical

Expand to full height
Restore normal height

* I attempted to use bold and italics in a couple of places but it appears to be ignoring me. Shame on phpBB!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DesertDwarf wrote:
I presume at the time the menu is drawn, it knows (or it can know) if the context menu is relative to a vertical or horizontal shelf. Use that!

Yeah, I like this one, although 'normal' would be full width, since that is the default. But it still makes sense and that is what matters. :)

Ric, the 'other Ric' got one on you this time. ;)

DesertDwarf wrote:
* I attempted to use bold and italics in a couple of places but it appears to be ignoring me. Shame on phpBB!

This is a modified/customized version of the board, so that is likely the culprit, not phpBB. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next