Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Importing Settings Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 pm 

Hi Jorge. I've finally finished setting up my new Win10 PC and Xtreme is the last thing I installed and registered so I can add what I need to on the dock etc.

I remember this happening eons ago and can't remember what I did or didn't do. I eventually had to do it manually which took countless hours.

I made a backup from my Win7 PC, changed the file name to nsbackupTHE NAME I CHOSE.nbk, (I changed the file name to make sure I could find it and not get it mixed up with another one that could be loaded somewhere else since I did a generic transfer a week ago of almost all of my files using an external hard drive) copied it to a flash drive and pasted it into the Winstep backup folder on the new PC and tried to enable it via NextSTART Preferences > Advanced tab > Restore.

My themes did not load nor did any other setting.

Did changing the file name corrupt the file, and is that the correct procedure to use? Does it matter if files i.e. icons, background image etc. are not in the same location right now as they were on the Win7 PC?

Post subject: Re: Importing Settings Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
My themes did not load nor did any other setting.

Did changing the file name corrupt the file, and is that the correct procedure to use? Does it matter if files i.e. icons, background image etc. are not in the same location right now as they were on the Win7 PC?

Yes, it DEFINITELY matters. A backup file only contains your settings, NOT your themes, icon images, etc... So, if your backup points to a folder that does not exist in your new computer, you will get undetermined results.

When transferring data to a new computer, besides the settings backups you also need to separately copy your old themes, icons, etc...

Also, .NBK is the extension for a *NextSTART* backup. WorkShelf backs up settings to a .WBK file. Because NextSTART and WorkShelf are individual applications, settings are stored separately when you back them up (and you need to backup NextSTART and WorkShelf settings separately, unless using the Auto Backup IC which does this for you - but still stores data in two separate files).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 pm 

Oh okay. I'll go ahead with your instructions and I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully all will go well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Oh okay. I'll go ahead with your instructions and I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully all will go well.

Also bear in mind that if files and icons on your new system are located in locations other than those on the old system, they will not be found and you will have to select them anew. Best of luck.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 pm 

Finished with everything now except for a few drive icons on the dock, but I have two major problems and one minor. The first one is that now almost all mp3 files won't work.

The song (which is a mp3 file) that I used on my Win7 PC doesn't work. I tested about 30 mp3 files (putting them in the audio files list) and pressed Play. The only files that seems to work are wma and wav.

I only managed to find ONE mp3 file that works. Very strange!

The other problem I'm having is that I can't enlarge the Shelf. I'm using the Serenity theme, removed the lines between icons and "Disable dock scaling on high DPI settings" is unchecked. It's far too small. How do I fix that?

On a minor note, my dock theme Blue Lights doesn't show quite the same as it did on the Win7 PC. I have a feeling it's DPI related. The left and right edges look stubby, not as elongated as they are in the default icon mode (16X16), and no where as much as on the Win7 PC. The Win7 PC has a more stretched look and might not be the normal look because of the DPI settings.

If I leave the dock at the small icon default size (16X16), the dock displays similarly as it did on my Win7 PC, but once I change it, that's when it has the stubby appearance. BTW, the DPI settings are changed on the Win7 PC.

I checked (which looked crazy), and then unchecked (where it is now) the box/setting "Disable dock scaling on high DPI settings".

Here is the how the Blue Lights dock theme looks at 16X16.
Attachment:
Winstep Dock Elongated.png
Winstep Dock Elongated.png [ 415.19 KiB | Viewed 20036 times ]

This is how it looks when changed to a higher icon size.
Attachment:
Winstep Dock  STUBBY.png
Winstep Dock STUBBY.png [ 444 KiB | Viewed 20036 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

To enlarge the shelf, on its context menu go to 'Scale' and increase - works a treat. :)

Sorry, no idea about the rest though.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 pm 

I'm familiar with using Scale because I use it for my modules, but I don't see Scale anywhere in the WorkShelf context menu.

Oh snap!! I just reread my post and realized that I left out a very important piece of info. The paragraph read:

"The song (which is a mp3 file) that I used on my Win7 PC doesn't work. I tested about 30 mp3 files (putting them in the audio files list) and pressed Play. The only files that seems to work are wma and wav."

I forgot to say that the file I referred to is the music file that use I for my alarm. It no longer plays.

Jorge, should I send you some of the song files that I have for you to fix the issue? If so, how should I do it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ric forgot the scale shelf feature is new and for the moment only available in the private betas of v18.7. As far as I know, you're still running v18.5.

Anyway, exactly what is too small in the Shelf? The icons? The text? The tabs? In v18.5, to enlarge the Shelf try increasing the icon size.

As for the MP3 files, that sounds like a codec problem. Can you play those files in Windows Media Player? Anyway, you will probably need to download and install the latest K-LITE Code Pack.

As for the dock background, Blue Lights is the type of dock background that can look a bit different depending on icon size. It's just a by-product of how background stretching works, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ric forgot the scale shelf feature is new and for the moment only available in the private betas of v18.7. As far as I know, you're still running v18.5.

Yes, I'm running v18.5. I'll gladly test the private beta 18.7.

winstep wrote:
Anyway, exactly what is too small in the Shelf? The icons? The text? The tabs? In v18.5, to enlarge the Shelf try increasing the icon size.

I guess it is considered the tabs. In other words, the whole thing, Desktop, Main, Recent...is tiny. Before I posted about the issue, I increased the icon and font size but it didn't change. I should have mentioned that.

winstep wrote:
As for the MP3 files, that sounds like a codec problem. Can you play those files in Windows Media Player?

The files play in all of the several media players I have including Windows Media Player.

winstep wrote:
Anyway, you will probably need to download and install the latest K-LITE Code Pack.

I'll go ahead and install it and report back.

winstep wrote:
As for the dock background, Blue Lights is the type of dock background that can look a bit different depending on icon size. It's just a by-product of how background stretching works, etc...
:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
The files play in all of the several media players I have including Windows Media Player.

Do the Clock and Email Checker voices play normally?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm 

I just installed the K-Lite Codec Pack Full and all of the files now work. :D

I don't use the e-mail checker. "Say The Time" worked before installing K-Lite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Yes, I'm running v18.5. I'll gladly test the private beta 18.7.

Wait for the public beta release, Windy. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:28 pm 

Okay. I hope I don't have to wait too long! It will be nice to be able to try out the scale feature on WorkShelf and presumably any other goodies that you may add.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

'May' add ?!

You didn't read the 'What's next after v18.5' thread yet, have you? Eheh.

Multiple Shelves
Vertical Shelves
Shelf scaling
Drawers

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:23 am 

winstep wrote:
'May' add ?!

You didn't read the 'What's next after v18.5' thread yet, have you? Eheh.

Multiple Shelves
Vertical Shelves
Shelf scaling
Drawers

Didn't have the opportunity to read it because of my medical issue. I just finished going through that thread and it's awesome!!

Now for some somber news. :cry:

If I right-click the Dock Control Icon > Insert New Dock Item > Internal Command > Disk > CD Control, nothing happens when I click on it. I can't get the CD Control to work. When I open the Dock Entry Properties for the CD Control on my dock, Run As Administrator, Run, Animation and Find Item are all grayed-out.

I checked my Win7 PC and Run As Administrator is checked.

If I drag and drop my DVD/CD drive onto the dock and then click on it, it opens the drawer but won't close it. A dialog pops up telling me to insert a disc-probably because it functions as a folder as I saw in the Dock Entry Properties.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next