Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
i think i already reported this issue
in preferences if you switch from themes tab before it has loaded the list of themes following crash occurs:

Thanks, and yes you did, and I think I already fixed it, but AFTER the beta. We'll have to wait for the public beta to find out. :)

Vlad wrote:
If you go to Shelf Preferences/General/More Options and uncheck the "Use Windows 10 style on balloon tooltips and other items" the tooltip stays on until you move the mouse, regardless of the position: on top of the icon or the label.

Well, I have bad news for you (us, lol): still can't reproduce it here. That may be part of the problem, but it is not the whole problem - after all, even with that option checked it did not happen on newer Shelves.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
Bare with me:

You first! :P LOL! No, no, no - let's not. Let's be sensible adults and keep our kit on. ;) [to bare = to expose, to strip off, to bear (with someone) = to be patient, to follow, etc. LOL! Simple typos can have the most unexpected results. :)

AHAHAHAH! Thanks lol

Let's all get naked! Oh wait, better not. So, please bear with me instead. :)

Yes, let's definitely do the latter. :) Of course, my web cam is permanently disabled (as is the mic) and even taped over with tape that is totally opaque to all frequencies of the actinic electromagnetic spectrum, i.e., 300-~1200nm, but even so I wouldn't contemplate it. :)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Ah but then you end up with inconsistent behaviour on double click - a resize in the one situation, a collapse in the other...

But that's the way it already works, one double click to expand, another to collapse.

Huh? Not here - single click collapses/expands.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Just to throw another Spaniel.... err, spanner, in the works - changing the colour of in-shelf meter mods' histo surely is meant to be saved with the theme, but it isn't, alas.

Not really, no attempt is made to save the changes to the theme. Those are simply theme settings that are also exposed to the user. As you said, the user can change them, but if he reloads the theme they go back to the original color.

What I meant is, that while the user should be able to change it if he so wishes, the default should be that the colour chosen by the skinner should be saved with the theme. Anything else is just a plain PITA when the app can choose a totally inappropriate colour. Or at least, the way it picks the histo colour should be that it picks the theme's desktop histo bitmap - say a mid-range value in the case of a grad bitmap.

This is not dissimilar to the NeXus running app indicator. Again, yes, by all means let the user change it, but by default the skinner should be able to specify their own choice to match the theme. And this is what you apparently intended in the first place Jorge, going by the way that the ThemeBuilder alpha lets you specify the file (and then saves it as 'NxIndicator.*) and also the (non-functional) folder option in the Dock Properties.

Both of these, AFAIC, are total no-brainers really. If something can be 'skinned' then so it should, surely.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
Keep getting this error in various situations (like playing with the colorisation methods or trying to replicate the bug on point 6. The address and hex values from the popup windows seem to always be the same, I can always recover by clicking retry.

Is anyone else getting this too in NextSTART? Ric? Seeker?

I am unable to reproduce here too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 pm 

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
Keep getting this error in various situations (like playing with the colorisation methods or trying to replicate the bug on point 6. The address and hex values from the popup windows seem to always be the same, I can always recover by clicking retry.

Havent encounterid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Tried it but nope, no sign of that error msg here.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:17 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Vlad wrote:
If you go to Shelf Preferences/General/More Options and uncheck the "Use Windows 10 style on balloon tooltips and other items" the tooltip stays on until you move the mouse, regardless of the position: on top of the icon or the label.

Well, I have bad news for you (us, lol): still can't reproduce it here. That may be part of the problem, but it is not the whole problem - after all, even with that option checked it did not happen on newer Shelves.

Ok, Jorge. I have made a new shelf. Like you said, the bug does not appear in the new shelf. So I took the preferences windows side by side and started matching the settings, having the previus thought culprit active ("Use Windows 10 style on balloon tooltips and other items" is checked in my tests).

So with that setup, I can make the old shelfs display the balloon tooltips correctly if I set the Shelf Proprieties/Appearance/"Where would you like to position the icon labels?" to anything other than "Above the icons".

Can you replicate that? I have already checked everything else, except playing with themes and the bottom half of the Appearance tab, below the above setting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:35 am 

Ok, new bug (although kind of makes sense)...

After doing the previous testing for the balloon tooltips, I decided to delete the temporary shelf. To be certain that I delete the right one, in the Preferences/Docks&Shelves I disabled that Shelf first. Then I pressed the "Delete Shelf" button at the bottom of the tab. Because I still had the disabled Shelf Proprieties window opened I got this error:

Attachment:
bug_006.JPG
bug_006.JPG [ 25.19 KiB | Viewed 14076 times ]

Clicking retry crashes the shelf ( made a second atempt after that to confirm the behaviour) whithout deleting the selected shelf.

If the chosen shelf (for deletion) is not disabled, things go ok. Winstep closes the targeted shelf Proprieties window first (if opened) and then deletes the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
So with that setup, I can make the old shelfs display the balloon tooltips correctly if I set the Shelf Proprieties/Appearance/"Where would you like to position the icon labels?" to anything other than "Above the icons".

And we have a winner! Replicated and fixed, thank you! :)

Here is WHY it was happening: in the routine that displays and positions the ballon tooltip I forgot about the case where the text is NOT below the icons, and I was positioning the tooltip just below the text so the tooltip would not cover it.

What happened then, also because of the rectangular shape of the Windows 10 style balloon tooltip, is that the tooltip would finish the pop-up animation overlapped by the mouse pointer.

The tooltip itself is also programmed to automatically disappear if the mouse pointer hoovers over it (so it doesn't stay in the way when you are moving the pointer to an icon in the Shelf just below the current position, for instance).

And so the balloon tooltip would pop up and immediately disappear.

This shows you that most bugs are normally the result of an unusual *combination of settings* - the big challenge is to figure out what those settings are so I can reproduce the bug and fix it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
Clicking retry crashes the shelf ( made a second atempt after that to confirm the behaviour) whithout deleting the selected shelf.

If the chosen shelf (for deletion) is not disabled, things go ok. Winstep closes the targeted shelf Proprieties window first (if opened) and then deletes the shelf.

Fixed, thanks! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Tried it but nope, no sign of that error msg here.

This is again the type of bug that only seems to happen with a specific combination of settings...

Vlad, I suspect it might have something to do with hotspots, since you said you experienced problems with those before. Care to make a backup of your NextSTART settings and then experiment a bit to see if we can get a lead?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is one (somewhat simple) thing I have been thinking about adding, but I have no idea if you guys would find it interesting as it has no real practical purpose, only informative:

A panel that would give you some numbers on how memory is being used inside the WorkShelf process and by how much, split into categories.

For instance, how much memory is being used by animated icons, how much memory is being used by the cached mouseover/attention/etc particle effect bitmaps, how much memory is being used by the icons themselves, how much memory is being used by the global Shelf icon cache, how much by the desktop modules, etc...

Yay or nay?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:54 pm 

winstep wrote:
Here is one (somewhat simple) thing I have been thinking about adding, but I have no idea if you guys would find it interesting as it has no real practical purpose, only informative:

A panel that would give you some numbers on how memory is being used inside the WorkShelf process and by how much, split into categories.

For instance, how much memory is being used by animated icons, how much memory is being used by the cached mouseover/attention/etc particle effect bitmaps, how much memory is being used by the icons themselves, how much memory is being used by the global Shelf icon cache, how much by the desktop modules, etc...

Yay or nay?

i think yay although winstep has rather small memory footprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

Start using animated icons and you'll see that small memory footprint go straight out the window lol.

This is actually one of the reasons I would like to add this feature, so users know exactly (or roughly, in this case) what is using the memory.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Start using animated icons and you'll see that small memory footprint go straight out the window lol.

This is actually one of the reasons I would like to add this feature, so users know exactly (or roughly, in this case) what is using the memory.

Aye here. Good plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, the question then becomes:

Should memory used for icons, for instance, be shown all together (i.e.; sum of memory used for all icons in all docks, Shelves, etc) or should it be discriminated by dock, Shelf, etc?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next