Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
IMO the old way was better and more natural, now if you expand the shelf first row is on the bottom which feels wrong to me

This is why it became necessary to fix the original glitchy behavior, otherwise the first icon of a drawer would appear at the base of the drawer instead of right next to the tabs as it should.

Now, what I tend to agree with Windy is only regarding mousewheel scrolling - since the order of rows got changed for Shelves at the top of the screen, then the direction the mousewheel scrolls should perhaps be changed as well for THAT particular case.

Jorge, so what you're saying is because of the drawer feature, the old way has to change?

You didn't address my statement in the other thread so I'll pose it as a question and more precisely. It is impossible to make the Shelf icons work in a ascending/descending manner so we can choose which order we want?

BTW, how do I make a drawer? Can't figure it out. Unfortunately, I had my medical episode around the time it was first being talked about and didn't get the chance to know how to do it. :cry:

Open Workshelf Prefs, Shelves & Docks tab, 'Make New Drawer'. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Open Workshelf Prefs, Shelves & Docks tab, 'Make New Drawer'. :)

Yep. Can also be done from the right-click 'Dock and Shelf Management' context menu option.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wow, overwhelming silence on the public beta front! ;) Seems like nobody's finding any problems Jorge and you've done a brill job. :) Can't say I've come across anything yet, at least nothing relating to the beta.

However, I have noticed one slight oddity in playing around with taskbars. Now, when I use my normal tasklists and systray only, when changing themes the order of the icons in the tasklist often gets mixed up. But, when changing themes with a taskbar, this doesn't seem to happen at all. (Which is a good thing, surely.) Just thought I'd mention it. Don't think it needs any action though. :)

BTW, did you get the theme I emailed you wrt the problem with the DT recycler custom anim? (Getting there with producing a taskbar for that theme now, incidentally. :) )

Hope you're alright in this horrible heatwave and no fires anywhere near you. (Think they're more in northern/central Portugal?)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Wow, overwhelming silence on the public beta front! ;) Seems like nobody's finding any problems Jorge and you've done a brill job. :) Can't say I've come across anything yet, at least nothing relating to the beta.

Well, in great part thanks to the wonderful *private* beta testers! ;)

Anyway, these things take time, and I imagine many of the people who downloaded the beta actually have no idea what is new in it, eheh.

nexter wrote:
BTW, did you get the theme I emailed you wrt the problem with the DT recycler custom anim?

LOL. Yeah - you forgot to set TrashShowIcon=True (and also set the icon size):

TrashShowIcon=True
TrashIconXpos=0
TrashIconYPos=0
TrashIconSize=64

nexter wrote:
Hope you're alright in this horrible heatwave and no fires anywhere near you. (Think they're more in northern/central Portugal?)

You're now talking to the melted blob of fat formerly known as Jorge. :wink:

Temperatures were pretty crazy here for a while (43-45C), even at night (35C) but they're coming back down to <30C now. Most serious fire is currently in the Algarve, but they're pretty much on top of it - as much as one can be, of course - after last year's tragedy in Pedrógrão Grande, which killed 66 people, 47 of them caught in their cars by a violent firestorm on the same stretch of road.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Well, in great part thanks to the wonderful *private* beta testers! ;)

Anyway, these things take time, and I imagine many of the people who downloaded the beta actually have no idea what is new in it, eheh.

Yeah, on both counts I suppose. :) Mind you, I don't think there's much if anything to find anyway - like I said, I haven't encountered a single problem yet, despite trying just about everything I can.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
BTW, did you get the theme I emailed you wrt the problem with the DT recycler custom anim?

LOL. Yeah - you forgot to set TrashShowIcon=True (and also set the icon size):

Thank you so much Jorge - will correct that ASAP. As I said, had a feeling that it was connected to the last three lines of that, but of course never even saw the first! :)

In the meantime, added a taskbar to that theme, on the whole worked out alright but having a few little issues, but I'll put that into a separate topic.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

You're now talking to the melted blob of fat formerly known as Jorge. :wink:

LOL! Blob? You? Nah, can't imagine that, you certainly used to be very slim if not skinny and very handsome with it! Melting, yeah, that I can believe - same here if not quite that extreme. What little flesh remains on me is fast disappearing! And I'm a right skinny old goat these days, with most of my muscles wasted through my illness/disability.
winstep wrote:
Temperatures were pretty crazy here for a while (43-45C), even at night (35C) but they're coming back down to <30C now. Most serious fire is currently in the Algarve, but they're pretty much on top of it - as much as one can be, of course - after last year's tragedy in Pedrógrão Grande, which killed 66 people, 47 of them caught in their cars by a violent firestorm on the same stretch of road.

But you're almost in the Algarve! (Unless you've moved, of course.) Phew, yeah, I heard about those temperatures. 31C here outside earlier, but in here it's boiling! OMG, yeah, I remember re: last year, terrible. (And it's happening all over the world - we've well and truly screwed this planet!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Too feckin' hot to sleep. (That 'f' word is a nice Irish word that's often used as a euphemism for the other one. ;) )

So, instead set the DT recycler to rights and it's now working brilliantly. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jorge, ever so much. It'll soon be working in around 20 themes or so. That's one more aspect of the shelf and its mods sorted. :) I'm one very happy camper. :)

Forgot to mention before, making good progress with the designs of my two (and now actually 3, but the third is rather something of a novelty one) new trash icons and anims. Did a quick and dirty cartoon anim of one of them, came to 21 frames but hoping to cut that a little bit (and for the in-shelf anim it'll have to be 5 frames anyway). When they're done (which will be a good while yet), you'll be welcome to distribute them with Xtreme as a little bonus.

BTW, is there any possibility that you could add a second anim for emptying the trash some time? Would be really cool, especially with my new ones but even with the standard Workshelf one (which I'd happily put together for you) and the old NeXT and NeXT Black Hole recyclers. Tried that with the NeXT recycler running it as the delete anim of course, looking real good. Apart from the initial and final icons, of course, LOL. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- when playing with the lengh of the shelfs or when you have many tabs in a shelf, the name of the tab is truncated. I think having a mouseover tooltip that will display the full name of the tab would help (for both vertical and horizontal)

And just added this too! :)

By design the tooltip will only appear if the tab name is truncated though (and only after 1 second hovering over the tab). I don't think I need to add a setting to turn this off?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
- when playing with the lengh of the shelfs or when you have many tabs in a shelf, the name of the tab is truncated. I think having a mouseover tooltip that will display the full name of the tab would help (for both vertical and horizontal)

By design the tooltip will only appear if the tab name is truncated though (and only after 1 second hovering over the tab). I don't think I need to add a setting to turn this off?

wouldnt think so

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

wouldnt think so

Me three. ;) Nope, totally superfluous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:59 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Vlad wrote:

Thank you Jorge! Yet another thumbs up for you... I think you have a forest.

Regarding that crash that I had, did not manage to replicate that. It is probably related to other stuff I have installed on my system or is connected to a very specific combination of steps and way to access functions. It did happend once while messing with the colorise settings.
Other than that, things look stable and I did manage to do some playing around. Got 2-3 crashes of workshelf when trying to open a file via drag and drop or to send it, while having some window maximised (so I had to wiggle my mouse on the bottom part of the screen while holding the file, to reveal the dock that holds my main apps). So something happens when you move your mouse really fast over the icons. Unfortunately could not reproduce that.

All in all, I can say things are really stable.

One thing I`ve noticed: drawers still have an entry in the right click menu for shelfs, that is empty. Probably someting forgotten behind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
One thing I`ve noticed: drawers still have an entry in the right click menu for shelfs, that is empty. Probably someting forgotten behind.

Oh! Gotcha, thanks! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Oh! Gotcha, thanks! :)

Huh? What, where? Not seeing anything here so I'm afraid I don't follow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

Right click on an item in a Drawer that is NOT a module.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Right click on an item in a Drawer that is NOT a module.

Ah, gotcha! I noticed that before but thought it was empty either because of something to do with my shelf setup, or because it was something not yet implemented. :)

I thought Vlad was referring to the main drawer context menu. Must be the heat. Un-bloomin'-bearable! :/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ric, sorry, I will deal with your other issues a bit later...

In the mean time, for both you and Seeker (Seeker because he has a TRUCKLOAD of docks, sub-docks, etc..., you because you run into that sub-dock disappearing problem in the first private betas):

I've been combing through the code and in the new Shelf duplicating, deleting, etc, options I forgot about the in-Shelf subdocks. Likewise when deleting Regular tabs in the Shelf, even before v18.8.

As a result of this, as well as what was happening to Ric, you can end up having orphaned sub-docks 'stuck' in the internal structure with no way to access or delete them. Cross referencing (e.g.; for instance, having two or more docks or Shelf tabs referencing the *same* sub-dock) is also a *potential* problem.

Now, orphaned sub-docks do not pose an issue other than them and their former contents occupying space in memory, of course, but it is still a wasteful use of resources.

So, I'm working on adding some kind of 'Check Internal Integrity' feature which will look into these issues and automatically resolve them if necessary. It fact, it will work a lot like CHKDSK does for hard disks - it will report on inconsistencies and offer to fix them for you if it finds any.

Still, I would like you guys to test this feature out and report on what it finds (that's the part I am REALLY curious about), so expect another private beta soon. Or maybe another public beta, even.

I'm thinking about adding this feature to the 'TroubleShooting Options' dialog - I think it's a good place for it, especially because the recommendation to perform a backup before using the feature is already there.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next