Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Importing Settings Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Actually, I was referring to a top-docked shelf. :) The direction of the icon rows is down, so it makes perfect sense. (More also in the other thread.) Though the scroll arrows somehow *feel* wrong in this context although of course they are perfectly correct.

See, now you are as confused as I am lol

The scroll arrows are perfectly correct. To get from row 1 to row 2 for a top docked Shelf, you click the upper scroll arrow because that is where row 2 is coming from.

But in THAT case, you should also roll the mousewheel *away from you* to get to row 2, which makes Windy right, and that is not what is happening currently.

Think about it, open an Explorer window with scroll bars and then drag the scroll bar so the last row of icons is showing. How do you scroll up to the row ABOVE with the mousewheel? You roll the mousewheel AWAY from you.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Actually, I was referring to a top-docked shelf. :) The direction of the icon rows is down, so it makes perfect sense. (More also in the other thread.) Though the scroll arrows somehow *feel* wrong in this context although of course they are perfectly correct.

See, now you are as confused as I am lol

The scroll arrows are perfectly correct. To get from row 1 to row 2 for a top docked Shelf, you click the upper scroll arrow because that is where row 2 is coming from.

LOL! Well, I did say they are perfectly correct (arrows), just somehow 'felt' wrong. :)
winstep wrote:
But in THAT case, you should also roll the mousewheel *away from you* to get to row 2, which makes Windy right, and that is not what is happening currently.

Think about it, open an Explorer window with scroll bars and then drag the scroll bar so the last row of icons is showing. How do you scroll up to the row ABOVE with the mousewheel? You roll the mousewheel AWAY from you.

Yes, absolutely correct Jorge, just the way it is atm feels right somehow and is what I instinctively did, as I said. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 pm 

Jorge, to refresh your memory, when using Winstep via the hotspot context menu or my search program called Everything to open an image, Windows will not remember the program I chose (even if it's the Windows viewer) as the default and asks every time I click on an image using Winstep or Everything.

I contacted MS about the above problem and the CD control not working. They accessed my PC remotely but couldn't fix the problem and escalated it to level two.

They will call back tomorrow morning.

Oh BTW, the MS support guy said it's the best desktop setup he's ever seen! I showed him the basics (bumping, animated dock icons, of course, the hotspot context menu, WorkShelf, subdocks, the moon phase module, the trashcan module and how it changes when it's emptied, weather, CPU and RAM modules, and how all of that can be used with an open browser) and he loves it!

Of course, I told him to get Winstep Xtreme, how helpful you are, and he's going to install it, so you now have another possible customer. I've lost track of how many people I've told about Xtreme! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, to refresh your memory, when using Winstep via the hotspot context menu or my search program called Everything to open an image, Windows will not remember the program I chose (even if it's the Windows viewer) as the default and asks every time I click on an image using Winstep or Everything.

That part about Windows asking you which application to use to open a particular document and then not remembering your choice is all on Windows. The Winstep application has nothing to do with it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windows 10 does a lot of very odd things all the time IME. Just a couple of examples.

With every update till now, it's been getting more and more sluggish and slower and slower to boot and esp. restart. Now since that latest update, it's reasonably nippy to boot and a bit faster to restart. Still with updates, every time so far since I've had this system earlier this year, once I've restarted and let the update do its thing, every time I want to shut down or restart the damn menu still says 'Update and ....' for the next few days aand up to a couple of weeks and takes even more time than usual to shut down or restart. Something in Win 10 seems to leak memory all the time and I tend to have to restart a few times in the course of a day to get down to starting in about 1.8-2Gig of RAM usage. I mean, 25%!? Really?! My old AMD X2 Win 7 64bit sys starts in well under 700Meg, and after a few mins settles down to about 500, boots way faster, restarts way faster, never seems to leak memory, and is faster at most things. (And that's only a dual core at 3.8GHz.)

The catalogue of other Win 10 nonsense is almost as long as the book called 'Understanding Women'! I often see a similar problem with opening files from e.g. a file manager (not File Explorer - never use the blasted thing). The files are properly registered to open with a specific app, and yet they'll open in something else entirely or that idiotic new requester comes up asking which app to use!

So, if something goes awry and you get Windows requesters coming up, it's invariably Win that's going wrong and nothing to do with any other app. Even when things seemingly go wrong in a third party app, most times you'll find it's Win playing the ass. ;)

I always work on the basis of IBM - I Blame Microsoft! :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

Nexter, you're absolutely correct! I only finished reinstalling all of my programs a couple of hours ago. I was awake until the wee hours of the morning.

MS took two days of remotely accessing my PC trying to fix the problem. After two days, they finally wiped the drive.

Thankfully that did the trick. MS said that a program corrupted something.

Unfortunately, the only thing that still doesn't work is the CD control.

Jorge, this is really strange. I plugged in my old USB external DVD/CD drive and it works perfectly! When I click the CD control icon on the dock for that drive, it ejects and closes the drawer. But when I click the CD control icon for my internal Blu-ray DVD/CD drive, nothing happens. Still no error message...nothing!

MS is steadfast in saying it is definitely not a MS problem. They never did say that the issue with Irfanview not operating correctly when using Winstep and Everything wasn't a MS problem so I won't totally dismiss their assertion.

So, if it isn't a MS problem, I think there are two other possibilities, or could there a third one that we are not seeing? According to MS, It's either a Winstep issue, or hardware.

If it's not a Winstep problem, how would hardware cause this?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
If it's not a Winstep problem, how would hardware cause this?

I already told you above:

winstep wrote:
Not all CD drives (especially not those on laptops) can close the door by themselves. Some require the user to physically push the tray to close.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm 

Yeah, I got that part. I meant, why won't it open at all, and with no error message.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Yeah, I got that part. I meant, why won't it open at all, and with no error message.

Most likely for the same reason Windy - just a quirky hardware incompatibility. IBM. ;)

My laptop DVD doesn't co-operate either, although at least it opens. Most of the time when I do use it. (Most times I tend to just push the button as I'll have whatever goes in there already in my hand, or have to take whatever's in there out, and as for closing, no big deal giving the tray a little shove. :)

What a bummer having to re-install everything! I'm in awe you managed it so quickly. After Windows is installed, it usually takes me a day or two to configure everything, inc. user accounts and all the detailed security stuff and networking stuff etc. etc. And then a month of Sundays to install and configure everything I use. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm 

I think the reason I was able to do it relatively quickly is because I just finished doing it, so everything was still fresh in my mind. This time it took about a day and a half (with hardly any sleep) vs a week! I have only about 4 programs left.

This time I did not install my security software, and disabled all MS security software to eliminate any problems they could cause.

I forgot to mention that the two days MS took remotely on my PC to fix the problem and clear the hard drive did not include the half day the 1st tech took before escalating it.

The toughest issue I ran into in reinstalling was Thunderbird. It automatically switched from POP to IMAP. It's a brand new protocol they released, and of course, I had no idea what the problem was when I couldn't stop it from DL my e-mails from the server.

The server settings are not available to stop it from doing that in IMAP. I had to contact the forum for the solution (which is to change it to POP, a not so easy thing) and it was tough finding my saved Sent files and where to put them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Still, pretty awesomely quickly.

Of course, firewall and AV etc. stuff takes ages to configure to within an inch of its life, so you saved on that. But, that is not a safe way to go online these days - I wouldn't want to risk it. Not with Win 10 especially. I had a pretty old laptop, P4 CPU, running XP. (Wouldn't have run anything later anyway.) As it was such an old thing and so darn slow and low on memory, I didn't bother with AV, firewall and all, and surprisingly, nothing untoward ever happened. Then I used to spend even less time online than now, so I was pretty lucky.

The infuriating thing is that you can't stop MS unloading all sorts of crap onto ones system with Win 10 short of staying offline! Just as infuriating is that there seems to be no way of getting rid of most of the crap. I mean, for starters I *hate* games, such a waste of life, so wtf do I want X-box stuff wasting my disk space, or Candycrush crap etc, or useless demo programmes, or utils I'll never use!

Anyway, hope you'll stay safe online. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
But when I click the CD control icon for my internal Blu-ray DVD/CD drive, nothing happens. Still no error message...nothing!

If you right-click the drive in File Explorer or whatever file manager you're using (like my favorite, Directory Opus), can you use the Eject or Open option there successfully?

I've been following this thread and can't recall an instance where you mentioned you tried that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 am 

DesertDwarf wrote:
Windy wrote:
But when I click the CD control icon for my internal Blu-ray DVD/CD drive, nothing happens. Still no error message...nothing!

If you right-click the drive in File Explorer or whatever file manager you're using (like my favorite, Directory Opus), can you use the Eject or Open option there successfully?

I've been following this thread and can't recall an instance where you mentioned you tried that.

Yes I have tried that along with a lot of other things. It shows and works fine using that method.

winstep wrote:
As for the MP3 files, that sounds like a codec problem. Can you play those files in Windows Media Player? Anyway, you will probably need to download and install the latest K-LITE Code Pack.

Jorge, I forgot to mention this. After installing it, do you have any idea why I didn't have to reinstall K-Lite Codec Pack Full after MS wiped the hard drive?

It isn't installed on my PC, (I double-checked and it left the shortcuts in Programs, but they don't work) and all of the various types of music files play in the Winstep Media Player via Alarm Manager dialog! :shock: :? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm 

I just found something interesting. Because of this thread/comment viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10791 the light bulb went off in my head.

I opened "This PC" and dragged the problem internal CD/DVD drive into the Drawer. It opened the internal CD/DVD drawer when I clicked on it. I was hoping that it would close it as it does my USB CD/DVD drawer when using the Dock CD Control activation method, but it didn't.

So, now I'll use this as a workaround for the Dock CD Control activation for the internal CD/DVD drive not working.

BTW, I dragged it into the default Drawer. I haven't yet tried the other type of Drawer. If I get different results of any significance, I'll post it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3