Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Well, I fixed the non-transparent tab, but we still have a problem with the two different different levels of transparency for collapsed and non-collapsed.

I won't be able to come up with a solution at this time - in the end I might actually resort to removing the transparency options for the collapsed state and use only one for both states.

Sounds like a good solution to me.

BTW, the shelf arrows being draggable onto the last icon must have been a fluke. Been messing around with this and it hasn't happened again, though they can be pushed very close to the last icon now. Weren't the arrows supposed to use a full icon space?

Also, mainly in vertical shelves/drawers, the hide and prefs icons still don't show the mouse-over state when m-o'd.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Also, mainly in vertical shelves/drawers, the hide and prefs icons still don't show the mouse-over state when m-o'd.

m-o'd ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

m-o'd ?

'Moused-over'. :)

Mostly, in horizontal shelves and drawers they're fine, though sometimes they stay 'on' if the pointer is moved away again in a perpendicular direction away from the shelf. It's independent of shelf being docked or floating, and so far would seem to occur in all themes that have the mouse-over icons that I've tested this in.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't see any problems with Hide and Prefs not showing the mouseover versions. Fixed the mouseover images getting stuck when leaving the Shelf or Drawer.

Anyway, v18.8 took too much out of me - I'm even having trouble coming up with the screenshots for the release announcement now (as if hating making the announcements wasn't enough by itself).

This can perhaps eventually turn into good news for the rest of you guys: I'll probably focus on the Theme Builder next just to rest my mind for a while.

I also need to revamp the website with some new screenshots and feature descriptions, and, especially, new videos.

There isn't much left in my to-do list now in relation to the applications themselves, which is also a good thing. Basically:

- Individual NextSTART taskbars per monitor.

- Multi-session modules (so you can, for instance, have two weather modules displaying conditions for two different locations).

- Per-monitor high DPI support.

- Once the above is done, add more modules.

Not bad, it only took 20 years lol

Too bad I don't have someone working with me I could turn to and ask 'make some videos, write the release announcement, contact some relevant tech bloggers, etc...' while I focused solely on development. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Don't see any problems with Hide and Prefs not showing the mouseover versions. Fixed the mouseover images getting stuck when leaving the Shelf or Drawer.

Odd that you don't have it happening. Happens in all themes here that have the mouse-over icons, in both my personal and theme-development setups. Good news though about fixing the m-o images getting stuck when leaving shelf or drawer. :)
winstep wrote:
Anyway, v18.8 took too much out of me - I'm even having trouble coming up with the screenshots for the release announcement now (as if hating making the announcements wasn't enough by itself).

This can perhaps eventually turn into good news for the rest of you guys: I'll probably focus on the Theme Builder next just to rest my mind for a while.

Oooh yes, excellent plan Jorge, nothing like a little boredom for a change to unwind a bit. ;) No, seriously, that would be seriously good news all round.
winstep wrote:
I also need to revamp the website with some new screenshots and feature descriptions, and, especially, new videos.

There isn't much left in my to-do list now in relation to the applications themselves, which is also a good thing. Basically:

- Multi-session modules (so you can, for instance, have two weather modules displaying conditions for two different locations).

LOL! Well, look at what a monster app it's become in that time! One heck of an achievement for one person.
Could I just make a few additional suggestions for the "to do" list -
TLC for the Taskbar (esp. when vertical)
Would a simple (definable size area?) magnify effect be possible for the Taskbar?
An anti-clockwise analogue clock option for the clock (can't be that hard, can it?)
A 24hr analogue clock option
More options for skinners for skinning iconified modules (after all, we have almost unlimited scope for the analogue clock and recycler already)
Implementing the option for skinners to set the running apps indicator in NeXus as per ThemeBuilder alpha

There are a few other ideas I have but they escape me atm.
winstep wrote:
Too bad I don't have someone working with me I could turn to and ask 'make some videos, write the release announcement, contact some relevant tech bloggers, etc...' while I focused solely on development. :)

Well, I could perhaps volunteer to do any scripting, such as release announcements, descriptive text for the web site, scripts for videos, etc. - all you'd need then would be someone to volunteer to actually do the videos. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:17 am 

winstep wrote:

That's awesome news! Better late than never! :)

winstep wrote:

I can make another video. Let me know what parameters you want. If need be, I can do a voice over. I have professional diction, so no need to worry about inadequate pronunciation etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 pm 

nexter wrote:

Yes Jorge, vertical needs much love.
At least, leave it as usable as windows. I love Winstep, but actually is much, much inefficient than using windows.... We have spoke over many threads about this... no need to include them in this post...

Attachments:
wsOptimiz2.png
wsOptimiz2.png [ 100.59 KiB | Viewed 15679 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SullyPanda76cl wrote:
nexter wrote:

At least, leave it as usable as windows. I love Winstep, but actually is much, much inefficient than using windows.... We have spoke over many threads about this... no need to include them in this post...

In the NextSTART tasklist section in your screen grab, some of that 'wasted' space is due to the theme it seems. As for the modules being displayed side by side instead of vertically, even if it were possible to achieve this (which I doubt), that could be problematic in itself in that it would work against more slimline taskbar themes, unless of course if it could automatically adjust for this.

The major problem with the modules in a vertical taskbar at present is that the Net module, being displayed vertically with its double icon, stays vertical when you switch to a horizontal taskbar, making the lower one invisible in effect.

However, I suspect Jorge is very busy right now trying to get 18.8 released before it becomes 18.9. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
However, I suspect Jorge is very busy right now trying to get 18.8 released before it becomes 18.9. :)

Very true. The problem were the announcements.

Anyway, done, v18.8 is officially released.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SullyPanda76cl wrote:

In no way am I arguing with you over this, just want to point out that VERY, VERY few people use a vertical taskbar. Because of this, the NextSTART taskbar was never optimized for that.

Also, as Ric pointed out, the spacing between taskbar buttons has everything to do with the theme - DarkTech uses transparent button backgrounds, or you would have realized this already.

Not to say that there isn't PLENTY of room for improvement of course. For instance, the scroll arrows in the tasklist could be merged into a single taskbar button, captured WorkShelf desktop modules could be automatically re-arranged horizontally if there is enough room for that, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:25 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
SullyPanda76cl wrote:

In no way am I arguing with you over this, just want to point out that VERY, VERY few people use a vertical taskbar. Because of this, the NextSTART taskbar was never optimized for that.

Also, as Ric pointed out, the spacing between taskbar buttons has everything to do with the theme - DarkTech uses transparent button backgrounds, or you would have realized this already.

Not to say that there isn't PLENTY of room for improvement of course. For instance, the scroll arrows in the tasklist could be merged into a single taskbar button, captured WorkShelf desktop modules could be automatically re-arranged horizontally if there is enough room for that, etc...

Sounds very promising! :)

Of course, you're right that very few people would be using a vertical taskbar, especially given the in effect reduced vertical screen space of widescreen monitors. Now, on my 22" 6x4 ratio CRT monitor at 1600x1200 and up, I could be very happy with a vertical taskbar - in fact, where I'd be using one (once I've got a few issues sorted, on the CRT I'll definitely use the taskbar vertically. TB one side, with dock opening from and next to it via QL hotspot, shelf on the other side. :)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Very true. The problem were the announcements.

Anyway, done, v18.8 is officially released.

Phew, almost very last minute. Well done Jorge.

Would this then be a good time to bring up some of my issues you asked me to remind you about after it was all done?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Would this then be a good time to bring up some of my issues you asked me to remind you about after it was all done?

Give me some breathing time first, please.

In other news, did anyone using Winstep Xtreme had any trouble with timeouts while downloading the official update using the Winstep Update Manager?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
In other news, did anyone using Winstep Xtreme had any trouble with timeouts while downloading the official update using the Winstep Update Manager?

My God, seems like everyone here has really fast connections!

Anyway, apparently the Winstep Update Manager was aborting the download of a new version with a 'connection timed out' error if the download took longer than 1 minute.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:38 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Give me some breathing time first, please.

Sure.
winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

Anyway, apparently the Winstep Update Manager was aborting the download of a new version with a 'connection timed out' error if the download took longer than 1 minute.

No problems whatsoever. And yes, 500Mb/s (experimental, temporary). :) Much, much faster than I'll ever need. 50 would probably do me.

MS for some reason best known unto itself decided to remove my 1803 update and re-install yesterday - the entire 1803 download took seconds rather than minutes, despite MS's slow servers. And all that when I was just in the middle of preparing a backup! :/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 am 

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

no issues

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next