Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Drawer and Dock Folders Issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 pm 

Hi Jorge, I just managed to half-way crash Xtreme. It locked-up for a few minutes so I exited. It took a couple minutes to load up after I reopened it.

I was testing out the Drawer, and tried to drag more than 250 folders mostly with pics into it. (The folders are ones that are in my Hotspot corner bump). However, somehow it instead went to the dock. Not sure if it was my fault or not.

Is there a way to batch delete all those folders from the dock instead of deleting them one by one?

Also, before I try it again and create a worse problem, is it possible for me to drag all of those folders to a Drawer with no problem?

Post subject: Re: Drawer and Dock Folders Issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I was testing out the Drawer, and tried to drag more than 250 folders mostly with pics into it. (The folders are ones that are in my Hotspot corner bump). However, somehow it instead went to the dock. Not sure if it was my fault or not.

1. Exactly WHERE did you drag the folders FROM? An Explorer window? Or another Shelf?

2. What was the type of the Drawer you dropped the folders INTO? Regular or 'Show Folder' type?

Windy wrote:
Is there a way to batch delete all those folders from the dock instead of deleting them one by one?

No. Best way is to delete the dock from the Docks & Shelves tab of Preferences.

Windy wrote:
Also, before I try it again and create a worse problem, is it possible for me to drag all of those folders to a Drawer with no problem?

Please reply first to the questions above. Remember, the devil is always in the details.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:04 pm 

winstep wrote:
1. Exactly WHERE did you drag the folders FROM? An Explorer window? Or another Shelf?

It was an Explorer window. They are all in a folder and I clicked "Select all" and attempted to drag the folders into the Drawer. I'm not sure if I simply missed and dragged them into the Dock, or if the operation is not possible and because of the proximity of the Dock and Drawer, it defaulted to the Dock. I have the Drawer set to activate on a bump which is docked in the same location as the Dock.

winstep wrote:
2. What was the type of the Drawer you dropped the folders INTO? Regular or 'Show Folder' type?

I have no idea. It's whatever the default Drawer is once it's created. I didn't know there are two types. I placed a few folders in the Drawer on the other side, (which is the same type as the one I tried to drag and drop to) but I did those one at a time.

How do I know and change what type of Drawer they are? And what is the difference between the two?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Drawer is just like a Shelf tab. You know that tabs in the Shelf can have different types, right?

The default Drawer type is 'Regular'. You can change that either in the Drawer Properties dialog or by right clicking the Drawer's tab header (where the tab name is) and selecting 'Tab Properties'.

This way you can have a Drawer show the contents of a folder in a hard drive, the contents of the Windows Control panel, Recent Documents, etc... everything you can also show on a Shelf tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I just tried dragging a bunch of folders (although a more reasonable number, 10 instead of 250) into a Drawer and it worked as intended. I also don't see anything in the code that could cause the issue you described - so, I think you might indeed have dropped those folders into the dock by mistake.

Either way, try doing the test again (make a backup of your settings first) and let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

Okay, I'll try it again. Still manually deleting folders. :lol: I'm scared to delete the dock because I have complicated settings (mainly my bump settings) for that dock and I'm afraid it won't take exactly the same way.

If I delete it, is it possible to separately apply my saved settings for that dock without interfering with any other settings? In other words, are dock settings completely independent and can be accessed and applied to one dock only?

BTW, is it possible to change it so folders can be batch deleted from a Dock, Drawer and Shelf?

If it's too much of a hassle, I'll understand if you don't want to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
If I delete it, is it possible to separately apply my saved settings for that dock without interfering with any other settings? In other words, are dock settings completely independent and can be accessed and applied to one dock only?

No. In the Troubleshooting Options dialog you can actually reset contents to factory defaults while leaving the settings intact, but that applies to ALL docks, Shelves and Drawers.

Windy wrote:
BTW, is it possible to change it so folders can be batch deleted from a Dock, Drawer and Shelf?

No, sorry. You're asking me something akin to if it's possible to prevent someone from pointing a gun to his own head and then pulling the trigger. Nope, not possible, sorry - you drag and drop 250 folders into a dock, Shelf or Drawer at your own peril. :wink:

This is one of the reason why the Backup feature exists, so you can use it BEFORE experimenting with stuff like that.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

No, sorry. You're asking me something akin to if it's possible to prevent someone from pointing a gun to his own head and then pulling the trigger. Nope, not possible, sorry - you drag and drop 250 folders into a dock, Shelf or Drawer at your own peril. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just tested it again after manually deleting all of the folders. The application blinked, and then took about 45 seconds before it loaded them all.

Not sure if my alarm interfered because it came on a few seconds after I dragged and dropped it.

Well that's my cue to get ready. I'm glad I got this done before I have to leave to teach.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 pm 

Jorge, I cannot find the path/folder to the Winstep CD Control icon. Instead of using the Drawer, I decided to use the Dock to open the CD/Drawer to make the appearance symmetrical since I use the CD Control icon on my other Dock to open and close my USB CD/DVD drawer.

Because I like the appearance of that icon, I want to replace the Winstep CD/DVD drive icon that's used when you drag the CD/DVD drive to a Dock or Drawer (the "Item type" becomes Folder) to that one since the CD Control Internal Command doesn't work on my PC for my internal Blu-ray CD/DVD drawer and the "Item type" Folder command at least opens the CD/DVD drawer.

How do I change the icon to the CD Control icon? Obviously, the "Item type" for both are presently "internal Command" and not "Folder".

Here is a screenshot of my Desktop with the CD Control icons that I took more than a week ago. BTW, your Moon Module looks awesome with my Desktop Background!

Attachment:
Winstep Xtreme Drawer Setup.jpg
Winstep Xtreme Drawer Setup.jpg [ 745.67 KiB | Viewed 23077 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
How do I change the icon to the CD Control icon?

You don't. The CD Control icon is constructed 'dynamically' according to the drive letter and type of media inserted in the drive. The base image is a simple blank CD icon that's embedded in the application's resource files, and therefore not directly available.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 am 

Hi Jorge, I was tinkering around with a Drawer and just thought about something. Is it possible to expand the icon rows? I looked but couldn’t find that feature.

Remember when you teased me about dropping over 250 folders into the Drawer? :lol: Well, I thought an effective way to breeze through all those folders would be to have an unlimited row of icons/folders visible.

So, when I bump the Drawer, instead of only one row showing, I would be able to display and potentially expand it the whole height of the screen.

I guess if would work in a similar fashion as the Shelf and Hotspot combined, having limitless rows (if that isn’t a problem) so I would be viewing several icons/folders at once. (I also have those folders in my Hotspot bump setting which obviously is the original Winstep activation location).

On top of that, it would be cool if there would be an option to set how many rows it jumps with each scroll of the mouse wheel (in my case mouse ring) and/or click of whatever that arrow thing is called that allows you to move through using left-click.

So, for example, if I set the Drawer to display a row of 10 icons/folders, if I want, I could set it to jump any amount of rows at a time with each scroll or click.

Oh BTW, in case you forgot, my Drawers are located on the left and right sides, and both are centered. They are neatly and coolly nested beside my dock. You can see them a couple of posts above this on the screenshot of my Desktop.

So, in that scenario, it would be good if the user had the option to make the icon/folder rows be centered, or start from top to bottom, or bottom to top.

When I say centered, I’m not referring to the last row of icons/folders being centered like the discussion in this thread located at your post Fri Sept. 14 2018 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10797&start=15 but as a whole, the SET of displayed icon/folder rows being centered in correlation to the screen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 am 

Windy wrote:
Hi Jorge, I was tinkering around with a Drawer and just thought about something. Is it possible to expand the icon rows? I looked but couldn’t find that feature.

Nexter in another thread (Stacks Docklet) wrote:
Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.

I tried this method briefly this morning and could not get it to work well, infact not at all.
HIH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
Windy wrote:

Nexter in another thread (Stacks Docklet) wrote:
Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.

I tried this method briefly this morning and could not get it to work well, infact not at all.
HIH

Works fine here.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:47 pm 

Hey, I did that already. It doesn't work. I thought that either I couldn't find it. or it didn't have that feature.

I'll restart my PC and see if it will work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 am 

Okay, I'm back now. Had a doctor's appointment and a ton of errands to run. I think I've figured out what the disparity is why Nexter says it works, and oOSGearOo and I say it doesn't.

The icon rows don't stack on top of one another (as they do in the Shelf) when docked on the sides, and don't stack side by side if docked at the top and I assume at the bottom too. I only tried sides and top.

I even tried dragging the edges of the expanded Drawer to see if the icon rows would expand, but it isn't designed to do that.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next