Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: NextSTART Menus and Sub-Menus
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have at last tweaked a menu that I have in my personal setup and searched in vain for a way to copy this for use in my theme development setup. Also, there is a sub-menu (of a sub-menu) there that I want to use as the main menu in my test setup, but of course, same again.

Could I just copy the complete 'Menus' entry in the registry (for the whole menu) and enter it into the registry of the theme dev account, and likewise for the sub-menu only for the test account?

Also, is there any way I could copy (not cut) a sub-menu from a main menu and set it up as a separate menu also with its own hotspot activation?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: NextSTART Menus and Sub-Menus
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
I have at last tweaked a menu that I have in my personal setup and searched in vain for a way to copy this for use in my theme development setup. Also, there is a sub-menu (of a sub-menu) there that I want to use as the main menu in my test setup, but of course, same again.

Are you asking me if you can export/import *individual* menus from one setup to another? Nope. You will have to re-do them from scratch on the target setup.

nexter wrote:
Could I just copy the complete 'Menus' entry in the registry (for the whole menu) and enter it into the registry of the theme dev account, and likewise for the sub-menu only for the test account?

Only if you really know what you are doing and you don't duplicate menu names/numbers. Otherwise you risk crashing the application on startup.

Never a good idea to bypass the GUI - you also bypass all the error checks that prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot (or even the head, if the application then fails to start). :)

nexter wrote:
Also, is there any way I could copy (not cut) a sub-menu from a main menu and set it up as a separate menu also with its own hotspot activation?

You don't need to do that. All menus (including sub-menus) are available for hotspots (i.e.; what is a sub-menu of a main menu, can be the main menu when associated directly to another hotspot).

Also, in the Menu Editor you can copy menus by holding CTRL when you drag them.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Are you asking me if you can export/import *individual* menus from one setup to another? Nope. You will have to re-do them from scratch on the target setup.

Yep. Would be a damn fine thing if we could do that from within NextSTART. :) At any rate for people like me who use more than one user account and would like to use either all or some of the menus in another account, without having to re-create them from scratch.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Only if you really know what you are doing and you don't duplicate menu names/numbers. Otherwise you risk crashing the application on startup.

Never a good idea to bypass the GUI - you also bypass all the error checks that prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot (or even the head, if the application then fails to start). :)

Well, I've been doing things in the registry ever since I started using NT, out of sheer necessity mostly. :) What I was thinking here was exporting the NextSTART\Menus complete registry entry and then replacing the one in the other account/s with this - I don't need the pre-existing ones. So that, for a start, is a very simple procedure and little if anything can go wrong there. Been doing that sort of thing long time.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

You don't need to do that. All menus (including sub-menus) are available for hotspots (i.e.; what is a sub-menu of a main menu, can be the main menu when associated directly to another hotspot).

Also, in the Menu Editor you can copy menus by holding CTRL when you drag them.

Yeah, I realised the first after posting. But oh feck! In all the time I'd been away from Winstep and computers I completely forgot about the second! :(

You know Jorge, with Win 10 being such a different beast, we could really use a few new Internal Commands. And perhaps a way of distinguishing those that are for earlier Win versions and those for Win 10? Two new commands I could really use would be 'On-screen Keyboard' and - if this is possible - 'Connect Router'/'Disconnect Router'. My router happens to be some distance from my desk and awkward for me to get at, so most times I just pull the old RJ45 from the laptop or plug it in. Would be so useful to be able to connect/disconnect from a menu or hotspot, also of course under Win 7. Under XP we still had the old Connect to LAN/Disconnect of course, but from Win 7 on MS seem to assume that everybody is always connected. Well even if we could, not all of us want to be online all the time. (Although I frequently have to have it on because of my LAN, when I'm able to sit at the desk long enough that is. Going to get a separate old-fashioned router again one of these days. There's probably one still stashed away somewhere, but that would be an ancient 10 or 10/100 at best.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Two new commands I could really use would be 'On-screen Keyboard'

Just point to osk.exe in SysWOW64.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ooh great, that takes care of one of them then. :) Thanks Jorge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:33 pm 

nexter wrote:
'Connect Router'/'Disconnect Router'. My router happens to be some distance from my desk and awkward for me to get at, so most times I just pull the old RJ45 from the laptop or plug it in. Would be so useful to be able to connect/disconnect from a menu or hotspot, also of course under Win 7. Under XP we still had the old Connect to LAN/Disconnect of course, but from Win 7 on MS seem to assume that everybody is always connected. Well even if we could, not all of us want to be online all the time. (Although I frequently have to have it on because of my LAN, when I'm able to sit at the desk long enough that is. Going to get a separate old-fashioned router again one of these days. There's probably one still stashed away somewhere, but that would be an ancient 10 or 10/100 at best.)

win 7 , and if i remember correctly win 10 can disconnect from network from taskbar icon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:
'Connect Router'/'Disconnect Router'. My router happens to be some distance from my desk and awkward for me to get at, so most times I just pull the old RJ45 from the laptop or plug it in. Would be so useful to be able to connect/disconnect from a menu or hotspot, also of course under Win 7. Under XP we still had the old Connect to LAN/Disconnect of course, but from Win 7 on MS seem to assume that everybody is always connected. Well even if we could, not all of us want to be online all the time. (Although I frequently have to have it on because of my LAN, when I'm able to sit at the desk long enough that is. Going to get a separate old-fashioned router again one of these days. There's probably one still stashed away somewhere, but that would be an ancient 10 or 10/100 at best.)

win 7 , and if i remember correctly win 10 can disconnect from network from taskbar icon

You mean the sys tray/notification area icon? Nope, never given me the option yet, neither under Win 7 nor 10, alas.

Of course, the perfect option would be if it were possible to have a command that could even actually switch off the darn router! ;) Ah, the good old days of dial-up and modems - the blessed things actually switched off on disconnect. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:01 am 

http://prntscr.com/kskr7z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
http://prntscr.com/kskr7z

I've never yet encountered that icon in Win 7 (let alone 10) - could it be that this is something that was introduced to the system by your ISP and/or router? Nor have I found any option to enable something like it anywhere. More's the pity. Oh hang on - this is wireless, I just noticed. Never use WiFi, permanently disabled both on laptop and on ISP server. Don't trust it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Give THIS a look.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Give THIS a look.

Ooh, thank you Jorge - that sounds simple enough and could be turned into a menu item, hotspot or whatever! Excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Nope, not there Jorge - it's in WinSxS\ hidden away in one of the amd64_microsoft-windows.... etc. resource files, so to find a path to it to use e.g. in a menu you have to do a search for it from the NextSTART 'Find item' dialogue/requester. After that, works like a charm. (Keep forgetting to post this.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
Give THIS a look.

Ooh, thank you Jorge - that sounds simple enough and could be turned into a menu item, hotspot or whatever! Excellent.

Alas, if only! Looks like this is Win 8 specific only. Although the desktop icon described will disconnect when double-clicked, it can't be copied/moved into NS menu or shelf. As I always have the Win desktop hidden (except when doing backups, when I don't run anything else) that's not much use, and anyway, when disconnected, double-clicking same icon does absolutely nothing. At least, not under Win 10.

(Again, keep forgetting about this!)

So, looks like we might need separate internal commands for this function for Win 7, 8, and 10, if at all possible and if worthwhile doing of course. Here, on the Win 10 laptop at least, it would be a real sanity if not life saver. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]