Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stacks Docklet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
I was also a fan of the stacks docklet as well, again is there any chance of you adopting the docklet principle/idea.

Winstep does not support user-coded modules/docklets. As for Stacks, you have sub-docks instead - functionally the same (better actually, since you can nest multiple sub-docks) but different visually.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Stardock and ObjectDock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am 

winstep wrote:

Winstep does not support user-coded modules/docklets. As for Stacks, you have sub-docks instead - functionally the same (better actually, since you can nest multiple sub-docks) but different visually.

I think the closest you can come to the stacks docklet is to be able to add a drawer on to a dock.
Thus giving a box of icons/shortcuts. I had a folder on the HD which contained shortcuts to my drives for example, to add an item all one had to do was add another shortcut to the folder.
I had the rocket-dock stacks docklet which you could either have a stack or a grid off icons, I liked the latter a grid of icons. As I say the closest you will get is a drawer of icons and the ability to add them to a dock. I know you think its better to have a sub-dock but I pine for a DRAWER(Grid container) of Icons/shortcuts.

A rather crude video of said stacks docklet in action.

I still have to play around to recreate an issue with sub-docks and merging this is a feature that I have found in your program one which I have not been able to replicate again and again. But it did involve a winstep xtream Dock at the top off the screen with a drawer docked at the top also . the sub-docks of the Dock became merged with icons from one subdock appearing on the other subdock.
With Uni work I have not had time to sit and work it out, so it’s repeatable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
Perhapse this should be cut up and posted outside into the what next thread. Posts of the stacks docklet idea see if others fancy a drawer of icons bolted to nexus/ultimate.

This whole stacks thing is a paradigm that is entirely alien to a dock, which is a very different paradigm. But then SD never did care about such 'trifling' matters and allowed full-scale bastardisation of what was in any case a very second-rate dock at the best of times. Winstep applications are a very different kettle of fish from SD ones (just for starters, they're actually eminently usable, stable, and constantly in active development), but I can appreciate that it may take you a while to get used to the different ways that they work and do things.

When we were first talking about the future dock (later known as NeXus) way back in the early days (late 90s/early 2000s), having been a long-time NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP user I had been hoping for something more like the 3rd party 'Fiend.app' dock under NeXT, where you could pull icon tiles off the dock and place them anywhere in the workspace yet when you returned them to the dock they'd get back into the same position they were in originally. Also, and this did make it into NeXus, you could have multiple nested sub-docks, as well as (did not make it into NeXus - yet, anyway) up to four virtual workspaces, each with its own dock tiles - except the control tile, which was common to all and actually also provided the means of switching among them - but you could also have what were called 'persistent' tiles that stuck in the same position on all virtual workspaces.

NeXus is a kind of half-way stage (and yet, also a lot more) between this Fiend.app dock and the original (main) NeXT dock, the mother of all docks (in that it was the very first dock ever, with Fiend being the second) which was much more limited. In both docks, 48 px. (24 bit colour with full alpha transparency) icons were displayed on individual 64 px. tiles (provided by the OS itself).

So coming from that background, I too might have expected different things from NeXus, but, in the end you work with what you have, and NeXus still has a lot more flexibility and raw power in some ways than even Fiend.app had. And of course, it is fully skinnable, you can have different icon sizes, use tiles or continuous backgrounds, etc. etc.

Actually, this stacks thing reminds me of an idea or rather, two, I'd been toying with. How about a drawer popping out of a shelf tab? But then, it's not really all that useful an idea (and presumably can be done with a hotspot anyway). Second, do. from the taskbar, but again, this would be via a hotspot in the QL anyway I suppose. So, no, non-starters AFAIC. And even more so for a dock. A drawer should remain a drawer, something that sits somewhere at or near a screen edge until needed.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm 

nexter wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
Perhapse this should be cut up and posted outside into the what next thread. Posts of the stacks docklet idea see if others fancy a drawer of icons bolted to nexus/ultimate.

This whole stacks thing is a paradigm that is entirely alien to a dock, which is a very different paradigm. But then SD never did care about such 'trifling' matters and allowed full-scale bastardisation of what was in any case a very second-rate dock at the best of times. Winstep applications are a very different kettle of fish from SD ones (just for starters, they're actually eminently usable, stable, and constantly in active development), but I can appreciate that it may take you a while to get used to the different ways that they work and do things.

“This whole stacks thing is a paradigm that is entirely alien to a dock, which is a very different paradigm.”
Well we so nearly have it with the Sub-Docks, the can be horizontal or vertical(I think). So the code is there, it is already written its just a matter of applying it to go in both directions, and away you go. Its not Rocket science. Ok it’s a personal preference perhaps but one I think has great merits, So its not a Sub-Dock it’s a Sub-Box!???

Moving on. I do appreate the stableness and speed and lightness of the Winstep apps, the fact that I have yet to be able to find a real bug, is a testament to there robustness. Why did it take so long for me to find them.

nexter wrote:
Actually, this stacks thing reminds me of an idea or rather, two, I'd been toying with. How about a drawer popping out of a shelf tab? But then, it's not really all that useful an idea (and presumably can be done with a hotspot anyway). Second, do. from the taskbar, but again, this would be via a hotspot in the QL anyway I suppose. So, no, non-starters AFAIC. And even more so for a dock. A drawer should remain a drawer, something that sits somewhere at or near a screen edge until needed.

Yes a drawer a stack is not, yet I used it to reference terminology that Winstep users are familiar with. Stack is not the right terminology either as shown in the video several posts up its more of a speech bubble almost, but it was none as a stack docklet, its more eye candy and functionality built in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

“This whole stacks thing is a paradigm that is entirely alien to a dock, which is a very different paradigm.”
Well we so nearly have it with the Sub-Docks, the can be horizontal or vertical(I think). So the code is there, it is already written its just a matter of applying it to go in both directions, and away you go. Its not Rocket science. Ok it’s a personal preference perhaps but one I think has great merits, So its not a Sub-Dock it’s a Sub-Box!???

But then it's no longer a *dock* at all really. And no, the code is quite different. What you have to grasp is that NeXus is a proper dock, and incidentally so far the first and *only* dock for Windows that is directly descended from the NeXTSTEP one (in paradigm anyway, not in actual code), and is very different to SD's so-called dock. The dock's prime function is and always has been to provide a launching platform for the most frequently used apps and utils in a graphic way, plain and simple and quick in use (if configured properly). Of course, NeXus can do a lot more than just provide graphic shortcuts for apps, such as display modules. But it's still all in the form of icons on a background or on a tile. But that is beside the point here, the real 'beef' being that the paradigm of a dock (and a sub-dock is subject to exactly the same) is completely different to what ObjectDock allowed with e.g. this stacks thing. And incidentally, your analogy of stacks to drawers is, from a visual perspective, not entirely inept. In fact, it's about the closest I can think of atm.

I am as it happens in the process of writing a basic introduction to NeXus (as I find that often people post about things that are so basic and simple and the posts often show a complete lack of understanding of what a dock is all about and what NeXus is meant to do and what it can do etc.), and I think I may post this in the next day or two, time permitting. I think you may well benefit from this. :)
oOSGearOo wrote:
Moving on. I do appreate the stableness and speed and lightness of the Winstep apps, the fact that I have yet to be able to find a real bug, is a testament to there robustness. Why did it take so long for me to find them.

:D Alas, Winstep really could do with a lot more exposure, but it's hard to come by these days and Jorge *is* Winstep - it's a one-man operation. So sadly it's nearly impossible for him to do all the donkey work to promote the apps. (I'm not in any way affiliated to Winstep btw., just a user who has been with the programme since its earliest days and I try to help others where I can - which we all used to do in the early days when people were much more active in things like forums.)

You would even have found it quite hard to find Winstep themes when downloading skins for RocketDock on WinCustomize - you have to do a search there for Winstep to find them as there are - deliberately! - no direct links on the site to any non-SD apps.
oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yes a drawer a stack is not, yet I used it to reference terminology that Winstep users are familiar with. Stack is not the right terminology either as shown in the video several posts up its more of a speech bubble almost, but it was none as a stack docklet, its more eye candy and functionality built in.

No, actually, as I said above, your stacks/drawers comparison isn't a bad one altogether in this context. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Stacks Docklet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 pm 

I see no different in a Sub-Dock and a(want for a better word) stack/container. You say that the code is fundamentally different, how do you know(?), by your own admission you are not affiliated with Winstep, in anyway, just been around for a long time. It is clear that you are against the idea, sorry this is not meant as a personal attack. I am all ready forming sub-docks from folders/items on the hard-drive/SSD, but even if this is such a big deal its being done already, in part. Whether that is in the form of a drawer or sub-dock its part of the whole thing already get over it.

Yes I will look over this introduction to “Nexus” that you are writing, with interest I hope for pictures to maybe even Youtube.

As a launch pad “for most frequently used apps and utils.” a Stack is nothing more than a group off app shortcuts and utility shortcuts anyway. You mention SD’s dock it actually RD’s stack docklet, not OD’s, although from that crude video I posted its easy I guess to mistake the two.

“But it's still all in the form of icons on a background or on a tile.”
A stack is no different its still icons on a background or on a tile.

Wincustomize is nothing I hate it. The way you cant view more than say about 9 items at a time.
I am easy to satisfy, I just like things plain and simple ‘Glass’ backgrounds basic Zoomers, I think that Winstep should start making its own site with a custom collection of skins, but I transgress, back to Stacks.

“Actually, this stacks thing reminds me of an idea or rather, two, I'd been toying with. How about a drawer popping out of a shelf tab?”
Yes It is very similar and would be acceptable I think. I would have to try it out to find out, exactly how it performed and felt in practice. The main objection being that a drawer is only one icon wide, or at least the one I have just been playing with(literally). Also, due perhaps to my limited knowledge does not respond(opening) to mouse over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
I see no different in a Sub-Dock and a(want for a better word) stack/container. You say that the code is fundamentally different, how do you know(?), by your own admission you are not affiliated with Winstep, in anyway, just been around for a long time.

First, I said "quite different", not "fundamentally". Second. How I know is because I was involved in an attempted (but ultimately aborted) attempt to code a Fiend-like dock and shelf from within the NeXT IDE that was intended to run under Windows NT at the time, independent of the OPENSTEP Enterprise environment (an application layer sitting on top of Windows allowing NeXT apps to run with very minor adjustments to the code), back in the mid-90s. Also, I was probably the very first beta tester for NextSTART, the first of the Winstep applications, and then Workshelf of course.

Although not fundamentally different - the one can be derived from the other and the executable is the same - the code differs in that although a shelf and a dock essentially do the same things, they do them in quite different ways especially in the way they are displayed. Certainly under NeXT, it would have been impossible to have a dock displaying a drawer/stack - and conversely, to have a shelf spout a dock - because of the differences in the way each works (internally) and is displayed. A shelf or drawer displays icons with labels, as do stacks, whereas a dock displays icons only, and that is the most immediately obvious difference.

The only way this could be done is with some kind of new module. But it would be a complete bastardisation and violation of the dock paradigm and look extremely ugly as well as involving a lot of work. Besides, the essential functionality of a sub-dock and a stack is exactly the same, differing just in visual presentation, with the added advantage that sub-docks are much more flexible and allow for multiple nested (sub-)sub-docks.

Really for what you want the shelf would be perfect, or even a drawer or several.
oOSGearOo wrote:
It is clear that you are against the idea, sorry this is not meant as a personal attack. I am all ready forming sub-docks from folders/items on the hard-drive/SSD, but even if this is such a big deal its being done already, in part. Whether that is in the form of a drawer or sub-dock its part of the whole thing already get over it.

Don't worry, I don't take it as a personal attack. :) In like manner, whether I'm personally 'pro' or 'anti' the 'idea' is really irrelevant - it's a a matter of different paradigms and different things doing things differently, that is, a dock vs. a shelf/drawer/stack. See above. :)
oOSGearOo wrote:
Yes I will look over this introduction to “Nexus” that you are writing, with interest I hope for pictures to maybe even Youtube.

Sorry, it's purely a written text. No screen grabs, and I certainly don't do videos and YouTube - I *hate* so-called social media of any kind with an absolute passion. :)
oOSGearOo wrote:
As a launch pad “for most frequently used apps and utils.” a Stack is nothing more than a group off app shortcuts and utility shortcuts anyway. You mention SD’s dock it actually RD’s stack docklet, not OD’s, although from that crude video I posted its easy I guess to mistake the two.

Oops, my mistake, sorry. I realised later that it was RD.
oOSGearOo wrote:

It is fundamentally different in displaying icon labels for a start - see above.
oOSGearOo wrote:
Wincustomize is nothing I hate it. The way you cant view more than say about 9 items at a time.
I am easy to satisfy, I just like things plain and simple ‘Glass’ backgrounds basic Zoomers, I think that Winstep should start making its own site with a custom collection of skins, but I transgress, back to Stacks.

Yes, WC is a ghastly site, loathe it myself. :)

Actually, a dedicated Winstep theme repository is now pretty much on the cards, particularly in view of the prospect of StarDock sooner or later discontinuing their apps altogether and abandoning WC.
oOSGearOo wrote:
“Actually, this stacks thing reminds me of an idea or rather, two, I'd been toying with. How about a drawer popping out of a shelf tab?”
Yes It is very similar and would be acceptable I think. I would have to try it out to find out, exactly how it performed and felt in practice. The main objection being that a drawer is only one icon wide, or at least the one I have just been playing with(literally). Also, due perhaps to my limited knowledge does not respond(opening) to mouse over.

Actually, you read that paragraph very selectively. :) I did say, in effect, that it was a daft idea and had no merit whatsoever. A drawer should just sit at or near a screen edge until needed. That said, you could launch drawers from a Hotspot in a shelf, or even from the dock. Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.

As for mouse-over, Winstep applications do not launch by this method but use the conventional single or double click instead. Launching anything by mouse-over can potentially at least be a very dangerous thing, that is one reason why it isn't in general use.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:06 am 

nexter wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
I see no different in a Sub-Dock and a(want for a better word) stack/container. You say that the code is fundamentally different, how do you know(?), by your own admission you are not affiliated with Winstep, in anyway, just been around for a long time.

First, I said "quite different", not "fundamentally". Second. How I know is because I was involved in an attempted (but ultimately aborted) attempt to code a Fiend-like dock and shelf from within the NeXT IDE that was intended to run under Windows NT at the time, independent of the OPENSTEP Enterprise environment (an application layer sitting on top of Windows allowing NeXT apps to run with very minor adjustments to the code), back in the mid-90s. Also, I was probably the very first beta tester for NextSTART, the first of the Winstep applications, and then Workshelf of course.

Although not fundamentally different - the one can be derived from the other and the executable is the same - the code differs in that although a shelf and a dock essentially do the same things, they do them in quite different ways especially in the way they are displayed. Certainly under NeXT, it would have been impossible to have a dock displaying a drawer/stack - and conversely, to have a shelf spout a dock - because of the differences in the way each works (internally) and is displayed. A shelf or drawer displays icons with labels, as do stacks, whereas a dock displays icons only, and that is the most immediately obvious difference.

The only way this could be done is with some kind of new module. But it would be a complete bastardisation and violation of the dock paradigm and look extremely ugly as well as involving a lot of work. Besides, the essential functionality of a sub-dock and a stack is exactly the same, differing just in visual presentation, with the added advantage that sub-docks are much more flexible and allow for multiple nested (sub-)sub-docks.

Really for what you want the shelf would be perfect, or even a drawer or several.
oOSGearOo wrote:
It is clear that you are against the idea, sorry this is not meant as a personal attack. I am all ready forming sub-docks from folders/items on the hard-drive/SSD, but even if this is such a big deal its being done already, in part. Whether that is in the form of a drawer or sub-dock its part of the whole thing already get over it.

Don't worry, I don't take it as a personal attack. :) In like manner, whether I'm personally 'pro' or 'anti' the 'idea' is really irrelevant - it's a a matter of different paradigms and different things doing things differently, that is, a dock vs. a shelf/drawer/stack. See above. :)
oOSGearOo wrote:

Sorry, it's purely a written text. No screen grabs, and I certainly don't do videos and YouTube - I *hate* so-called social media of any kind with an absolute passion. :)
oOSGearOo wrote:

Oops, my mistake, sorry. I realised later that it was RD.
oOSGearOo wrote:

It is fundamentally different in displaying icon labels for a start - see above.
oOSGearOo wrote:

Yes, WC is a ghastly site, loathe it myself. :)

Actually, a dedicated Winstep theme repository is now pretty much on the cards, particularly in view of the prospect of StarDock sooner or later discontinuing their apps altogether and abandoning WC.
oOSGearOo wrote:

Actually, you read that paragraph very selectively. :) I did say, in effect, that it was a daft idea and had no merit whatsoever. A drawer should just sit at or near a screen edge until needed. That said, you could launch drawers from a Hotspot in a shelf, or even from the dock. Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.

As for mouse-over, Winstep applications do not launch by this method but use the conventional single or double click instead. Launching anything by mouse-over can potentially at least be a very dangerous thing, that is one reason why it isn't in general use.

“A shelf or drawer displays icons with labels, as do stacks, whereas a dock displays icons only, and that is the most immediately obvious difference.”
Whereas nexus display’s icons, true however labels are displayed on hover, ‘nicely ones at that’ then overwritten by ugly ones once the hover becomes stationary, and more info is displayed. A Minor point.

“Besides, the essential functionality of a sub-dock and a stack is exactly the same, differing just in visual presentation, with the added advantage that sub-docks are much more flexible and allow for multiple nested (sub-)sub-docks.”
“More flexible”, Yes and if a lot of items are added it can be a lot of mouse movement to reach the one item you wish to launch.
Where you may see a vertical sub-dock as a sub-dock I see it as a beginning of a stack, one would only have to widen the container sub-dock to accommodate more icons. Iam trying to keep things brief an on track, more latter on in this post.

“It is fundamentally different in displaying icon labels for a start - see above.”
Quite however they only have to be displayed on hover see above.
“Actually, you read that paragraph very selectively. I did say, in effect, that it was a daft idea and had no merit whatsoever. A drawer should just sit at or near a screen edge until needed. That said, you could launch drawers from a Hotspot in a shelf, or even from the dock. Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.”
A daft idea but visually correct in the minds eye. Having a hotspot on a dock/shelf launching/displaying something is appealing one.
“Incidentally” I shall have to play with the options more I can’t get it to display, more than one Vertical row. Widening out the drawer I’ve only played briefly with the settings while writing this response, but it would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
“A shelf or drawer displays icons with labels, as do stacks, whereas a dock displays icons only, and that is the most immediately obvious difference.”
Whereas nexus display’s icons, true however labels are displayed on hover, ‘nicely ones at that’ then overwritten by ugly ones once the hover becomes stationary, and more info is displayed. A Minor point.

“Besides, the essential functionality of a sub-dock and a stack is exactly the same, differing just in visual presentation, with the added advantage that sub-docks are much more flexible and allow for multiple nested (sub-)sub-docks.”
“More flexible”, Yes and if a lot of items are added it can be a lot of mouse movement to reach the one item you wish to launch.
Where you may see a vertical sub-dock as a sub-dock I see it as a beginning of a stack, one would only have to widen the container sub-dock to accommodate more icons. Iam trying to keep things brief an on track, more latter on in this post.

“It is fundamentally different in displaying icon labels for a start - see above.”
Quite however they only have to be displayed on hover see above.
“Actually, you read that paragraph very selectively. I did say, in effect, that it was a daft idea and had no merit whatsoever. A drawer should just sit at or near a screen edge until needed. That said, you could launch drawers from a Hotspot in a shelf, or even from the dock. Incidentally, a drawer can display as many icon rows as you like (you can specify the number in Drawer Properties -> Appearance -> More Options), or if you prefer, you can expand the drawer to show all icon rows by double-clicking its tab.”
A daft idea but visually correct in the minds eye. Having a hotspot on a dock/shelf launching/displaying something is appealing one.
“Incidentally” I shall have to play with the options more I can’t get it to display, more than one Vertical row. Widening out the drawer I’ve only played briefly with the settings while writing this response, but it would be nice.

This thread is becoming very tedious and, I regret to have to say, utterly fruitless, even futile. You just don't grasp the essential differences of function and especially display method between a dock on the one hand and a shelf/drawer/stack on the other. A dock is a *single column or row* of icons without text/labels, whereas a shelf etc. can display multiple rows/columns of icons with labels, to re-state the most obvious difference. Forget what RD did and its 'docklets' - that's a complete perversion of a dock, as indeed it would be if a module was added to produce such a 'stack' for NeXus.

Maybe it's because you are not a native English speaker nor even especially fluent in the language that you don't understand what is being said. But in any event, my patience is not endless nor my time limitless and I see no point in continuing with this discussion, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 pm 

nexter wrote:
This thread is becoming very tedious and, I regret to have to say, utterly fruitless, even futile. You just don't grasp the essential differences of function and especially display method between a dock on the one hand and a shelf/drawer/stack on the other. A dock is a *single column or row* of icons without text/labels, whereas a shelf etc. can display multiple rows/columns of icons with labels, to re-state the most obvious difference. Forget what RD did and its 'docklets' - that's a complete perversion of a dock, as indeed it would be if a module was added to produce such a 'stack' for NeXus.

Maybe it's because you are not a native English speaker nor even especially fluent in the language that you don't understand what is being said. But in any event, my patience is not endless nor my time limitless and I see no point in continuing with this discussion, sorry.

I speak and grasp just fine you mention a single row I now see where your coming from, I on the other don’t mind a different approach of having more than a single line. I am simply trying to give as good as I have gotten, I have tried to be as verbose as you have when commenting.

You did not mention the “drawer” and replied in another thread About instructions, I was unable to reproduce more than a single vertical or horizontal row/column of Icons, out of a drawer. A Shelf however is different in that regard.

Your time is not limitless, neither’s mine to a point, I shall miss this interchange of Ideas thoughts and options’, I suspect we have between us killed of any hope of a discussion with other members as to whether they would like to see such idea similarly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
I think the closest you can come to the stacks docklet is to be able to add a drawer on to a dock.

Stacks have already been discussed plenty of times here.

I also previously mentioned that a modified version of the Shelf, with it's ability to display the contents of folders, could be used as a Stacks in grid format. This was not possible before because support for multiple Shelves was only added in v18.8 (the current official release).

As for the Stacks Fan format, functionality speaking docks do the same thing.

Of course, *visually* this are very different things from classic Stacks.

Also, there is a 3rd party application called Cris'n'Soft stand alone Stacks that can be used with any dock application.

oOSGearOo wrote:
But it did involve a winstep xtream Dock at the top off the screen with a drawer docked at the top also . the sub-docks of the Dock became merged with icons from one subdock appearing on the other subdock.

You mean visually only or...?!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 am 

winstep wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
But it did involve a winstep xtream Dock at the top off the screen with a drawer docked at the top also . the sub-docks of the Dock became merged with icons from one subdock appearing on the other subdock.

You mean visually only or...?!

I mean that they became merged, and icons from one sub-dock where then transplanted copied over to other sub-docks. These Icons/objects where real though, they could then be opened/closed/removed… from the other subdock.
I am at uni at the moment but I will have a look at making it replicable when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
I mean that they became merged, and icons from one sub-dock where then transplanted copied over to other sub-docks. These Icons/objects where real though, they could then be opened/closed/removed… from the other subdock.
I am at uni at the moment but I will have a look at making it replicable when I get home.

Still not sure what you mean by this. A screenshot would be nice, if you manage to reproduce the problem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 pm 

winstep wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

Still not sure what you mean by this. A screenshot would be nice, if you manage to reproduce the problem.

This is all by the by I have yet to be able to replicate this however let me muddy the waters and try and explain.

Initially we have a Big long dock at the top off the screen (fig0)

Below it we have several sub-docks underneath(fig1),
now supposing that while switching around between subdocks that the ‘s’ of ‘subdock2’ got added to the end of ‘subdock1’ making it ‘subdock1s’(fig2) think of each letter as an icon in the subdocks. Then once realised the icons where duplicated I was able to treat ‘s’ as an icon it would launch and be destroyed/removed from the dock

(fig0)
Doooood1,d2oooooooock

(fig1)
Doooood1,d2oooooooock

Subdock1 subdock2

(fig2)
Doooood1,d2oooooooock

Subdock1s subdock2

In (fig2) we have ‘...ock1S’ think of the ‘S’ as the Firefox icon in the second of the two pics below, and yes the original icon remained on ‘subdock2’
Attachment:
Sdock1.png
Attachment:
Sdock2.png

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
This is all by the by I have yet to be able to replicate this however let me muddy the waters and try and explain.
[...]
Doooood1,d2oooooooock

Muddy the waters you did lol. Please don't be upset, but you REALLY triggered my sense of humor: all that did for me was make you sound like a chicken ehehe :wink:

Unfortunately and despite that it didn't make me understand the problem better. Anyone else wants to chime in? My mind is a complete blank right now. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next