Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Skinning
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm 

Hi guys,

I purchased the extreme version recently and i just started making some stuff.

Where can i post animated icons and just in case some themes.

Best regards
Nick

Post subject: Re: Skinning
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Irons wrote:
Hi guys,

Best regards
Nick

Your post/thread should be in the "General Discussion" Forum, where I'm sure somebody would answer soon enough. :)

This forum is basically for articles, tutorials etc. - principally by "Mr. Winstep" himself, Jorge - and their discussion.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Irons wrote:

Hi Nick!

I moved your post to the General Discussion section of the forums.

Normally themes are uploaded to the Winstep section at Wincustomize - I suppose you could also upload animated icons there.

Anyway, always nice to post screenshots here too and those are much appreciated - just post them in the proper section of the forums (General) please. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am 

Hi,

Thank you both for answering and clearing stuff out for me :D.
Honestly i just started to do this thing (while at work) i might add (it's boring around here sometimes) and i'm eager to dive into creating stuff after my new home build (graphic focused) will be done.

I love winstep because every time i asked something i got a quick reply.

Best regards
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Irons wrote:
Hi,

Thank you both for answering and clearing stuff out for me :D.
Honestly i just started to do this thing (while at work) i might add (it's boring around here sometimes) and i'm eager to dive into creating stuff after my new home build (graphic focused) will be done.

I love winstep because every time i asked something i got a quick reply.

Best regards
Nick

Hi Nick, and welcome to Winstep and the forums. :)

Now, re: skinning, animated icons are one thing, but you may or rather, almost certainly will, find creating themes for Winstep a bit of a steep learning curve. You see, at the moment we are left without a proper ThemeBuilder or even a detailed manual on the subject, so the various essential configuration files will be a bit of a mystery to the uninitiated (and even, in some cases, to the initiated - having been away for some considerable time, that even includes myself here and there, mainly where newer stuff is concerned). But, you can always ask for help here. :)

And of course you can 'encourage' (speak nag! ;) ) Jorge to get at it with work on the new ThemeBuilder, which is one of the stated items on the agenda for the current 'What's next after 18.8?' thread. ;)

If you have a look at the Winstep section of WinCustomize, you will find that there are not a great number of more recent themes there. One reason is this difficulty of constructing themes without a ThemeBuilder, a possibly bigger one may be that the whole skinning scene has all but gone right down the plughole. Personally, I am very reluctant to join WinCustomize and upload anything there as, amongst other reasons, it is more likely than not that sooner rather than later that site will disappear along with Stardock's own apps, and think I'll wait till we have a dedicated Winstep theme repository, or until I have my own web site back online and include a section for my own themes etc.

Meanwhile, there is also an old, V9.5 User's Guide o Winstep, which can give some help with skinning, although it does reference the then current ThemeBuilder, but at least it does provide some guidance e.g. on what most of the bitmaps are that are required. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the link for this atm - maybe Jorge could help out?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 pm 

Hi nexter,

I saw the difference between the old and new skins and yes the new ones look really complex, but i'm willing to learn (i'll try on my own first) and if i hit a wall at any point i will ask anyone willing to help.
About WinCustomize, i'd rather stay away, i asked a question there about a product of stardock and no one answered (i posted over a month ago), with the intent of buying the product of course as soon as someone answered.
While with winstep i asked the question and the same day i got the answer.

My struggle now is to understand how the .NSX Files work so i can play around with them, the script kinda feels familiar but uncanny, but i'll dive in deep after i finish my new PC build and get the full adobe package for home use.
Will take a while considering the build will cost a fortune and the case will be custom made

But as soon as i get it up and running i'll increase my activity.

Best of luck
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Irons wrote:
Hi nexter,

I saw the difference between the old and new skins and yes the new ones look really complex, but i'm willing to learn (i'll try on my own first) and if i hit a wall at any point i will ask anyone willing to help.
About WinCustomize, i'd rather stay away, i asked a question there about a product of stardock and no one answered (i posted over a month ago), with the intent of buying the product of course as soon as someone answered.
While with winstep i asked the question and the same day i got the answer.

My struggle now is to understand how the .NSX Files work so i can play around with them, the script kinda feels familiar but uncanny, but i'll dive in deep after i finish my new PC build and get the full adobe package for home use.
Will take a while considering the build will cost a fortune and the case will be custom made

But as soon as i get it up and running i'll increase my activity.

Best of luck
Nick

Ah yes, the forums there (WC) and also at SD's apps site seem a pretty fruitless place. But then, SD hasn't been actively developing any of its apps for some time and has been selling them for peanuts - so what do you expect when you pay next to nothing for an app? - and now looks very likely to completely abandon them altogether, sadly. I say sadly because losing SD leaves Windows customisation with very few options apart from Winstep and Rainmeter, and the two do very different things and are almost as different as chalk and cheese. It's always better to have at least some real competition as it encourages growth of an over-all user base. OTOH, I don't think SD can be considered any real competition for quite some time now.

If it's only NeXus docks that you want to skin, then there is an alpha of Themebuilder that can help you with that (although you have to manually enter the correct paths and theme name in the .nxs file at the end - sorry, don't have the link for it here. Also, it still has a few issues with 'tiled' and 'advanced tiled' docks, but no problems with 'background' type docks. That said, despite the correct bitmaps and correct configuration in *.nxs I always get NeXus *not* using the correct bitmap for a top edge dock but using the one for a bottom edge dock. Plus I have encountered a few other issues, at least with tiled/advanced tiled docks.

Oh, and .nxs and all the other config files are basically just .ini files.

Good luck also with your system build. Always built my own from the start, when I first explored using 'Wintel' PCs with Windows NT3.5x and OS/2, at the time still being a dedicated Amiga and NeXT and occasional SGI and Sun user - 'real' computers. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]